beginning, King George granted to Lord Fairfax the land that we now
call Patterson Creek. When George Washington was a young man, he
surveyed the three plots, #20, 21 and 22. Plot #20, the Plumb Run
tract, Plot #21, the Brown House tract and Plot #22 the Mouth of
Patterson's Creek tract. During the Civil War which began in 1861, a
contracting firm headed by John A. Humbird, became owners of these
three original plots. Col. John A. Robinson joined this firm as a
partner which finally resulted in Col. Robinson owning all of the
three tracts of land. At the beginning of the Civil War, the lot that
the brick mansion stands on now was owned by a man named Gibson, who
employed John Johnson to construct a brick residence on the same.
In 1888 there were believed to be three families living in what was then known as Patterson's Depot. Mr. George Logsdon and family living in the house by the Community Hall, Mr. Claude E. Robinson and family living in the old brown house that stood where Carl Anderson now lives, and Col. John A. Robinson in the brick mansion, as it was called at that time.
first train passed over Patterson Creek and Potomac Railroad on 27
The first automobile was owned by Mr. Will Logsdon and driven through on 20 June 1916.
There were farms in Patterson Creek from the beginning. On the farm where the brick house is was once worked by Negro slaves. The slaves lived i the brick building that still stands behind the big house.
record of the 4-H club dates back to 1925 when Eva Miller was the 4-H
In 1900, the population of our country was 95% rural, and corn clubs were formed to impart knowledge of a practical nature to young people who would be engaged in agriculture.
The corn clubs were the responsibilityof the Cooperative Extension of WV University. The corn clubs were changed to 4-H clubs in about 1920.
Feb 1950, a group of citizens met at the schoolhouse to discuss
forming a volunteer fire company. Those present were: B A McCullough,
Sr, W J Dohrman, V Pres, P P Logsdon, L H Broome, Stanton Miner,
Treas, A L Fisher, Pres, W E Lyons, Elmer Davis, Ray Newcomer,
Clifton Shobe, Sec.
Another meeting on 21 Feb 1950, named the charter members. They were, including names above, C L Anderson, H P Logsdon, Walter Ferrebee, M G Logsdon, R R Readd, H E Long, C E Davis, Q R Sheffler, W G Shears, Albert Broome, Wayne Logsdon, L M Welker, Wilbur C Dohrman, Edgell Long, Clifford Kern, George Turner, G W Logsdon, B A McCullough, Jr. A certificate of incorporation was issued to the Fire Company on 13 March 1950.