ANTIOCH GRIST MILL
In the first quarter of the 19th century, Mary Chapelear Harrison,
widow of Joseph Harrison, of St. Mary's Co. MD acquired land in
Hampshire Co. Acquisition of 44 acres was obtained by a Northern Neck
Grant dtd 1823 on "Mike's Run adjacent to her own property."
Possibly this other property was obtained from Samuel Davis (as
indicated in Mineral Co. WV Family Traits, Tracts & Trails)
Samuel Davis was also from MD. Her daughter Margaret Harrison married
Samuel Davis, II who owned adjoining property.
In her will dtd 24 September 1836 and probated 23 Februry 1852, Mary Harrison left her son Theodore 1/8 of her property and a boy slave. The mill was not mentioned in the will. She willed that her property be advertised and sold at auction to the highest bidder. Her son George D. Harrison was the special commissioner. Theodore Harrison purchased the property secured by a deed of trust from John Kern, Jr. Evidently Theodore Harrison failed to meet his obligation, and in a deed dtd 20 November 1860, James Burgess, husband of Sarah Catherine Harrison, daughter of George D. Harrison deceased, was conveyed a "tract of land situated in the county of Hampshire...containing 150 acres more or less , on which there is a mill and other improvements...."Nothing has been found to indicate that Theodore Harrison was ever married or had a son. In the deeds he is referred to as both Theodore and Theodore, Jr.
The mill property was later acquired by Theodore Brasher Rogers, son of James Rogers and Angelina Ellifritz. He married Mary Evaline Dye, daughter of Rebecca Dye, daughter of Mary Harrison, and John R. Dye. About 1897 Theodore Rogers had financial difficulties and lost the mill property. It has since had a success of owners. In 1897 it was purchased by A. P. Roberts of Antioch; in 1918 it was acquired by D. W. Billmyre of Martin, WV; 1923 sold to James Billmyre; and sold again to Ira P. Shreve.
1. Family knowledge
2. Will of Mary Harrison dtd 24 Sept 1836 probated 23 Feb. 1852, Hampshire Co. Loose Wills
3. Gray, Gertrude D., VA Northern Neck Land Grants, Vol. IV, p.
4. Deed dtd 1 Apr 1854 between Geo. D. Harrison, Special Commissioner, and Theodore Harrison, Hampshire Co. Deeds
5. Deed dtd 20 Nov. 1860 between James W. Burgess and Theodore Harrison, Hampshire Co. Deeds
6. James Rogers Family Bible owned by Dalton Rogers, Keyser, WV (Marriage of Theodore Rogers & Mary Evaline Dye)
7. Dye family records, Geo. W. Dye, 306 E. Ray St., Kentland, IN 41951
8. Hampshire Co. Census 1850 & 1860
9. Mineral Co. Census 1870 & 1880
:) Special thanks to Rosemary E. Stout for preparing this article for the Mineral County USGenWeb Page.