POSTMASTERS AND THE GENERAL STOREKEEPERS
Abraham Chamberlain (1822-1907) the first Postmaster in the village appointed on 11-9-1882 was also the original owner of the country store known later as the Martin and Mott General Store. Following Mr. Chamberlain's death, his son-in-law Joseph Martin took over the responsibilities as postmaster until his death in 1930. In the meantime in 1902, Joe Martin (1863-1930) and his brother-in-law Jim Mott (1867-1936) took over management of the store which had probably been opened in 1882. The post office was housed in a portion of the store building as was typical of village post offices. After the deaths of these proprietors, Creek Mott, son of Jim and Nannie Martin Mott, took over the operation until it was closed in the early 1960’s.
Jim Mott served as postmaster from 1930 – 1934. Ralph Martin was the next postmaster, followed by Mrs Mildred Doll, from 1936 – Jan 1938, when Ruth Martin obtained the position. Shortly thereafter, she was called to serve as county health nurse. Beginning in April of that year, with her official appointment being made June 20, 1938, Miss Edna Mott took up the duties as postmaster, a position she then held until her retirement, June 30, 1973 when the post office in Antioch was closed completely, 89 years after officially established.
During the years Ralph Martin, Mildred Doll and Ruth Martin served as postmasters the post office itself was housed in a small building across from the general store near the gristmill.
The function of the general store and post office was typical in the community as in other villages. This was the meeting place for customers to exchange news and views and to provide informal entertainment and be entertained.
MINERAL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA, FAMILY TRAITS, TRACKS AND TRAILS