CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION

Organized and the present church erected in 1874. The first Mass was celebrated on Sept. 20, 1874 by Rev. Father BUTLER, D.D., Chaplain of Col. MULLIGAN'S "Irish" Chicago Battalion, which camped not far from their present chruch. The first Roman Catholic Church Building was St. James Church, for which James Street was named.
Prior to this date, the members had worshipped in Westernport, MD. The Keyser church is part of the
Wheeling diocese.

RETURN TO MINCO PICTORIAL

RETURN TO MINERAL