A W COFFROTH
MERCHANT, AND MEN'S FURNISHING, ONE OF KEYSER'S STAUNCH BUSINESS HOUSES
A business enterprise in Keyser which has done and is doing
much to advance the standard of dress as represented to fashionable
and custom made garments, is the merchant tailoring department of Mr
A W Coffroth's mammoth men's outfitting establishment. The tailor
does not make the man, but he does make or mar any man's appearance,
as probably nothing is so unseemly as a misfit suit of clothes,
while, on the other hand, a perfect fit gives to the wearer, of
either society or business, a distinctly evident aid.
In orderering a tailor should be patronized who possesses those artistic tastes which make him a judge of good fitting garments, and who by study and experience is able to execute his work in a first-class, up-to-date manner. the best results in appearance are gained by reliance upon the judgment of an experienced and thoroughly competent merchant tailor, and such a one is Mr A W Coffroth, who, since 1874, has followed that line of business, and for 21 years has been a cutter.
In his merchant tailoring dept, which is under his direct personal supervision, a complete and widely diversified stock of foreign and domestic fabrics is carried. The most critical and fastidious patron will find no difficulty in making a satisfactory selection.
Prices are unusually reasonable, being within the means of all; Trousers are made from $4 to $10; suits form $15 to $38. A specialty for this season is a handsome serge coat and vest (in several grades), striped of light trousers, the whole suit, $16.50 to $23.
Ready made clothing, hats, caps, shoes, men's furnishings, trunks, satchels, etc., are carried, the stock embracing all that is new, neat and stylish, and men's wear and being up to date in every particular. There is a vast difference between "goodscheap" and "Cheap goods," and the former phrase was kept well in mind when this ready-made clothing stock was purchased.
The immensity of this business, and the patronage accorded it are perhaps best indicated by the number of assistants required, which at this writing includes seven, vis: Mr Kennedy, Mr Carroll, Mr Troy, Mr W G Kennedy, Miss Allie Sievers and Miss Grace Kennedy.
In 1889, Mr A W Coffroth, now the sole proprietor of this immense mercantile enterprise, first came to Keyser, entering the employ of Hughes & Grove as a cutter. In 1883, he succeeded to Mr Hughes interest, the firm name being changed to Grove & Coffroth. Three years later, Mr Coffroth retired form this firm, and in April 1886, formed a partnership with his brother, Mr E B Coffroth, embarking in business under the firm name of Coffroth Bros. This partnership continued until the spring of 1888, when Mr A W Coffroth secured the sole ownership and control. The history of the establishment has been one of growth and expansion, due to correct business methods being employed, coupled with the carrying of a high standard of desirable goods. Mr Coffroth, during his 28 years residence in Keyser, has closely identified himself with our best business interests. he is a director in the Electric Light Co. Prominent in fraternal organizations, he is a Knights Templar, 32nd degree Mason, also a member of the Odd Fellows, and is a gentleman whose influence helps dignify the name of the city of his adoption.
TRANSCRIBED OCTOBER 29, 2001 BY PATTI MCDONALD
RETURN TO KEYSER
TRIBUNE JULY 1898
RETURN TO MINCO NEWS
RETURN TO MINERAL