BURLINGTON POST OFFICES

The mail service to Burlington dates back to its earlies days of settlement. Its location along the Northwestern Turnpike (US Rte 50) which ws the road running from Winchester VA to the Ohio River, guaranteed mail service once a week. Burlington, in the 1830's has been described as the most progressive town in the county of Hampshire, VA. It then doubled the population of Paddytown (Keyser), and in 1838 had a mercantile store, a house of entertainment, several homes and a houseof worship for all denominations.
The first post office was established in Burlington, Hampshire Co, VA on Sept. 24, 1827. it was discontinued April 17, 1844, reestablished Feb. 2, 1853, discontinued again Feb. 10, 1860, reestablished and located in Mineral County WV Oct. 14, 1867.
Locations of the Post Office buildings tend to be in the same general area - near the bridge over Mill Creek and Wilson's Store. It is believed the store building was used from Oct. 9, 1876 until April 1897 or possible December 1904 as the post office.
James Steward was postmaster when the office was at the site of the Cotton Likens home beside the bridge over Mill Creek. Later the post office was hosed in Johnny Morrison's store which stood beside the TM&P depot.
After the TM&P railroad trains were discontinued in 1916, the office was moved into the depot where it remained for the next 53 ears.
Postmasters from Burlington

Postmaster

Date of Appointment

Luke Kuykendall

9-24-1827

John Vance

1-13-1830

James B. Heiskell

6-17-1830

John Shrivers

2-17-1842

Edward Blackburn

7-29-1843

Samuel Crawford

2-2-1853

John S.Wilson

6-26-1855

George E. Leps

10-14-1867

Conrad Umstot

10-9-1876

Paul Sloan

5-21-1889

Charles K. Wilson

4-24-1893

Israel J. Whipp

4-30-1897

James Steward

12-21-1904

Floyd Morrison

9-19-1917

Audrey Morrison

9-19-1917

Louise Bumphrey

9-9-1924