The Vandivers are one of the original families to
settle here, and have always played an important role in the
community. The Homestead Hotel was owned by John Vandiver.
The Burlington Calvary was founded in 1877 under the command of
Capt. John WilliamVandiver. Charlie and Joe Vandiver, cousins of
Capt. J.W. were active in the Civil War. After the War, Joe was a
horse and cattle doctor. Charlie edited the WV Tribune, now the
Mineral Daily News of Keyser, while still living in
Another family whose name has long been associated with the
community is the Wilson family. The brick home of Miss Hattie in the
center of Main Street is the original Wilson home built sometime
before 1858. Dr. John Samuel Wilson, grandfather of George and Jack,
had his medical "office" in the little building between the store and
Miss Hattie's home.
The Umstot and Wilson store was organized as Umstot and Leps in
1876. After 99 1/2 years in operation, it was closed.
The home beside the school and across from the store was the
Umstot home. This
is also one of the oldest homes in Burlington.
Dr. F.L Baker (1861-1936) married to Lucy Pierce Arnold lived in
the hometo the south of the present church. This home was built in
about 1890. Bricks for it, the Rosalie Vandiver house and perhaps the
Wilson home were made down over the hill from Dr. Baker's home toward
the Patterson Creek. Dr. Baker's contribution to the community had a
lasting effect. He was one of the founders of the "Star of Hope
Another doctor resident of Burlington was Dr. M.F. Wright who
practiced medicine here many years.
Next door to his house, and beside the Dr. Baker home was the home
of Miss Lena Woodworth.
Other houses on Main Street, were the early Presbyterian manse
where Mr. & Mrs. "Hobb" Huffman made their home. The home
directly across from it and beside Mrs. Stimmel which was also used
as a Presbyterian manse at times. This home dates back to the
Joshua Oates had a store and boarding house over the store located
along Rte. 50 near the bridge over Mill Creek. When Rte. 50 was being
constructed, road builders lived there. This also was the site of the
Across Rte.50 from the hotel were the original horse
stables for the hotel, as stage coaches made their stops there. Later
Baker Shank and Hobb Huffman had a Texaco service garage there
Contributed by Randy Smith (
The Smith family came to Burlington from Hampshire Co.
in 1866 ( James M. Smith). There he built a log cabin where the Post
Office now stands. Across the street he had a Blacksmith Shop and
general store. In that store he sold, Brandy Wine (by the gallon)
coal, wool, lumber, varnish, brushes, oil, paint, tar, vinigar,
bacon, corn, flour, oil cloth, shovels, turpentine, new wagons, and
calves. In addtion to these he also lent money to residents there.
James M. was married to Catherine Parsons. They had three children (
James Clarance, Azzaline Anna, and William L.) James Clarance married
Alverdah J. Carroll. Alverdah was a 3rd grade school teacher there
and earned $20 per month. She died at the age of 25 during child
birth. At the age of 18 James Clarance took over the Blacksmith shop
and continued to run it until 1920. In addition to this James M.,
James C. and Catherine owned alot of land in Keyser and 253 acres on
Pattersons Creek. The family (Smith's,Parsons, Carroll's) are all
buried in the Burlington Cemetary.