CARSKADON & REYNOLDS
PURVEYORS OF EVERYTHING GOOD TO EAT
Keyser's only market house is soon to occupy the spacious
and handsome quarters which its importance among out business
interests demands. Plans are about to be prepared for a substantial
brick structure, 2 stories 35X105 feet, in dimensions, which will be
erected opposite the present location of the business on Main St.
Every convenience and axillary tending to prompt service, the perfect
preservation of perishable goods, and attractive appearance, will be
called into requisition to make of this building a market house or
food emporium second to none, anywhere. With the barn and other
separate store rooms, the estimated expense reaches fully $5,000, but
the immense trade of the business amply justifies such a large
expenditure, in fact imperatively demands it.
The nature of the business will be unchanged, as it now embraces the buying and selling of all food supplies, and the improvements contemplated must necessarily be limited to an increase in stock carried and better business facilities.
Established a number of years ago by T R Carskadon, the business passed into the hands of his son ? T Carskadon, in 1897, and Jan 1st last, the firm of Carskadon & Reynolds was formed, G H Reynolds became a partner. Both a wholesale and retail business is transacted. The supplying of butchers and dealer locally and in the mining region with dressed meat and live stock, and the shipping of poultry, eggs, butter and farm produce, as well as meats, fish, game, etc., to these and other points along the B&O and W Va C railroads, compels heavy buying and since the first of the year this firm has distributed in purchases and wages, etc., mostly in this vicinity, about $17,000. Mr Carskadon devotes his time principally to the stock buying and shipping, and the retail business, etc., devolves on Mr Reynolds' management.
An immense wagon makes weekly trips through the country within a radius of 50 miles of Keyser, gathering produce, and at the Keyser store large purchases are made. Desirable livestock cattle, calves, sheep and hogs finds a ready sale, as Carskadon & Reynolds pasture and feed stock before selling and frequently have 25 to 50 head in reserve. An enclosed poultry yard, 90X100 feet, holds the surplus supply of chickens, ducks, etc. A large customer of this firm, and a particular one as regards the perfect condition of meat, poultry, produce and groceries, is the B&O Railroad, which obtains its supplies for its dining car at this point.
The retail grocery stock carried embraces all the necessaries and luxuries of the table, including delicacies, not obtainable elsewhere, and in the meat market in season can be found (aside from the choicest cuts of fresh meats)., fish, game and oysters.
Carskadon & Reynolds give employment to six men, and require 4 wagons and 4 horses, including the local deliver wagons of which there are two. The annual business will aggregate in 1898, probably more than $35,000.
Both members of this enterprising firm are West Virginians, and young men in whose business qualities energy and progressiveness are prominent. Mr Carskadon, after attending our local school, studied in the De Pauw University at Greencastle, Ind., afterward taking the law course in the Boston University, at Boston, Mass. Aside from a thorough crammer school education acquired in Keyser, Mr Reynolds attended a full course at a Baltimore Business College. The foundation of their business had been well-laid, but its phenomenal increase since the lst of Jan is none the less due to hard work and steady application, and in their hands its future growth, and expansion can scarcely be estimated. At its present rate of increase, it bids fair to become the most important of Keyser's commercial enterprises.
TRANSCRIBED OCTOBER 28, 2001 BY PATTI MCDONALD
RETURN TO KEYSER
TRIBUNE JULY 1898
RETURN TO MINCO NEWS
RETURN TO MINERAL