MAY 5, 1911


The dead are buried.
The ghastly scenes that will remain in our memories while life shall last are now in the past. The heart still aches, but submits to the awful stroke, and feels that some day we shall understand.
It was stated last week that Festival and Moody's Halls were diverted into morgues and undertakers F C Rollman and Wm H Kight were given charge of the dead jointly. These undertakers and their assistants worked faithfully at their gruesome task. Hundreds of persons, home people and strangers, visited the morgues when conditions were suitable and thus realized to some extent the force of the awful calamity. Some of the dead were burned about the face and hands, some were bruised and faces scarred, while others showed no external signs of violence, but seemed to be calmly sleeping.
Wm Pearson's remains were taken to Lonaconing Wed morning to the home of his sister, Mrs Wm Reiber, for interment. His age is 32 years and he leaves a wife and three small children.
On Wed afternoon at five o'clock four of the Wilson's were interred in Nethken Hill cemetery. Revs. J W Bedford and L C Messick conducted the church service. The remains in the four caskets which were in the church at the same time were, John Wilson, aged 57 years, 5 months and 16 days. He leaves a wife and a number of children, all adults. Lester Wilson, aged 18 years, 2 months and 26 days, leaves a young wife. George Roy Wilson, aged 23 years, 6 months, 16 days, leaves a wife and two small children. Frank (Thomer) Wilson, aged 23 years, leaves a wife and two small children. Lester and George Wilson were both sons of Jno R Wilson and Frank Wilson his son-in-law.
Thursday was funeral day. The undertakers did their parts exceedingly well, and worked almost exact schedule time. the congregations gathered quietly and quickly and while one interment was going on in the cemetery, another funeral was being held in the church. The M E Church South, was used for all church funerals on Wed. The large crowds of people at the cemeteries, on the streets, and in the church were noted for their quiet demeanor and orderly conduct.
At seven o'clock in the morning Father O'Hara conducted the funeral services in the Catholic Church of James Dempsey, aged 57 years, Leo Dempsey, aged 23 years, and James Brown, aged 38 years. James Dempsey leaves a wife, one married and four single daughters and a small boy. His remains and that of his son Leo were taken to Barton for burial. James Brown leaves a wife, and two small children. His remains and those of Wm Buski, aged about 25 years, were taken to Westernport for burial.
At nine o'clock Rev Geo W Yost preached the funeral sermon of Harry Trainum, aged 26 years, at his residence. He leaves a wife and one small child.
At ten o'clock the funeral services of John R Prichard, aged 48 years, 8 months and 16 days, and his son, Arthur Prichard, aged 17 years, 9 months, and 28 days, were conducted at the church by Rev L C Messick. Mr Prichard leaves a wife and seven children, some of whom are grown.
At eleven o'clock in the church the funeral rites of Charles Wilson, aged 21 years and unmarried, son of Floyd Wilson, was conducted by Rev W J Bernard.
At twelve o'clock Rev J W Bedford conducted the funeral services of John White Sr, aged 42 years, and John White Jr, aged 24 years in the church. John White Sr. is a widower and leaves two daughters, Mrs Maude Shriber and Miss Goldie. John White Jr was single and was known by the name of "Geet."
At one o'clock the funeral services of Ed Hershbarger were conducted at his late residence by Rev L C Messick. His age was 33 years, 2 months and 17 days. He was the son-in-law of Rev W S Rau, and leaves a wife and two small children.
At two o'clock the funeral services of Hawthorn Patton, aged 20 years, son of F C Patton, was conducted by Rev J F Leeper in the church. Red Men of Elk Garden and Modern Woodmen of Kitzmiller Md, attended this funeral.
At three o'clock, the funeral services of William Hetzel, aged 61 years, were conducted in the church by Rev L C Messick. He leaves a wife and two grown daughters, one a widow and one single. The Mystic Chain attended this funeral.
At four o'clock, Rev J F Leeper conducted the rites of William Pugh, aged 24 years and Frank Pugh, aged 29 years, at the residence of their father, John Pugh. Both were unmarried. Frank Pugh was a fireman on the B&O and had been home on a furlough several months.
At five o'clock the funeral services of Walter Runion, son of John Runion, aged 19 years, 11 months, and 14 days, and Wilbur Shears, aged 31 years, 1 month, and 23 days, were conducted by Rev L C Messick in the church. Walter Runion was unmarried, but Wilbur Shears leaves a wife and five small children.
At six-thirty, the funeral services of Thomas Yost, aged 29 years, 4 months and 9 days were conducted in the church by Rev L C Messick. He leaves a wife and three small children.
Thus, as the evening shades were falling, the last of the ill fated miners were laid to rest.
Rev L C Messick was assisted by Rev A B Mann of Bayard, Rev Geo Burgess of Laurel Dale, and Rev W S Ran of Virginia.
The choir was composed of Misses May Arnold, Lizzie Grant, Olie Clark, Lou Barrick, Mrs Maude Grant, Mrs Rosa Dean, Mr and Mrs D C Arnold, Messrs James Norman and David McKinley of Elk Garden, and Prof Groves, Mr Burns, and Mrs Richard Markwood of Kitzmiller.
But what will the Davis Coal & Coke Company do for the widows and friends of the unfortunate victims of the explosion? In the first place, $400 will be paid for each death, which is the amount of miners' insurance with the Company. In the second place, the Company pays the funeral expenses, which amounts to $2160.60, and further the widows are allowed to get goods at the B&L store to satisfy their immediate needs, and the prices of the goods is not deducted form the insurance.
In giving credit for heroism displayed in rescue work at the mine we do not wish to detract any credit due the many faithful mine officials, but we do wish to commend the miners of the Elk Garden region, including Wabash, Oakmont, Kitzmiller and from distant mines for their coolness, skill and daring. It was their brother miners entombed and they toiled, they braved the dangerous gases, they reeled under the influence of the poison, and when refreshed plunged into the mines again. The city dailies drew on their imagination in stating that women and children were at the mines uttering heart-rending cries. The women in nearly every case staid at home, and there patiently bore the awful suspense until their loved ones lifeless forms were brought to them by the undertaker.
It is difficult to tell which were the greater heroes, the women remaining at home in the deepest grief, watching, hoping, praying, or the miners braving the deadly gases to rescue the bodies of their unfortunate comrades.


All busy; some have planted their corn; others are planting and still others are getting ready to plant. A cool wave has come and will cause people to pause a moment.
Fruit is still safe.
E J Allen, Leslie Carnell and Frank Brenning have just finished putting a new galvanized iron roof on J H Cheshire's barn. They say it was a task, so many of the old rafters, etc, were rotten.
It is reported that I I Whipp's still have an afflicted time. They have had siege with the whooping cough and now think the baby is taking it.
Aunt Tilla Kline continues poorly, sometimes a little better for a few days, then worse again. She can sit up in bed some.
Latest reports says Miss Margie Biser's condition has been better for some time.
D A Daugherty of Augusta, came up and bought a bunch of yearlings of S W Whipp.
C W McDonald took a wagon load of veal calves this week. He comes around each week for the trade he can get, and he gets an abundance of it, and occasionally makes an extra trip, as he is doing this week. Also, will deliver supplies of every kind ordered to his customers.
There will be social singing at the church next Sun, 7th at 3:30, from Song Praises.
Bring books.


Mr Morgan Bane, of Sulphur, brought over two nice pigs for Dr J Oliver Lantz last Monday.
Miss Myrtle Carnell and brother, Floyd, of Mountain Breeze Hotel, Claysville, visited friends here over Sun.
Mr T P Duling, of Mt Storm, was a business visitor here Mon.
Mr and Mrs Henry L Duling, of Gorman, are on a visit to home folks.
Mr Chas McDowell from the "Prep" at Keyser, was with home folks Sun.
Mr Denton Donean has rented the J A Street property and plans to move here in the near future.
Mr Van Blackburn, of Gorman, was calling on our merchants, Mon.
Quite a number of persons from here attended the funerals of those who perished in the mine disaster at Elk Garden last Thurs. That was the most sad day in the history of that Town.
Mr Edgar Shilllingburg has moved into his new house.
A pupils on examination gave this definition to hypotemuse; "The line opposite the right angle in a right angled triangle is called the hippopotamus."
That figure is a little mixed.
Miss Alverda Ott, of Wabash, visited friends at Oakmont last Sun.
Misses Leona Shillingburg and Cora Ludwick visited friends at Kitzmiller last Wed.
Mr John Willis and his son Ed, were seriously, if not fatally burned by the explosion of 32 lbs of powder at Emoryville last Mon. They were getting ready to go to work in the mine, and in opening a can of powder with a pick, a spark of fire caused from friction ignited powder. Dr J Oliver Lantz was called from here, and Dr Copeland from Blaine, and Dr Keim from Elk Garden. They did all that could be done to relieve their fearful suffering.
At last account some hope is had of their recovery.


As I have not written for some time, I will send a few lines to the old stand by paper of all.
We are having very bad and cold weather here.
Ben Corbin was harrowing the other day and was tired and sat down to rest and went to sleep and some one called to him and awoke him, Ha! Ha! Ben how is that?
Plowing seems to be the order of the day here. Mr Luke Lyons is about through plowing for corn.
Mr Joe Rodgers and Ed Stagg are going to Westernport Sat.
Mrs Tablitha Urice says she must go somewhere for her dinner Sun, as she was home last Sun.
The other morning Fred Urice called up his two sons before breakfast, and gave each one a hundred dollars, as he though he would divide the money and he could live at his ease the rest of his life, but for the other, the muskets and knucks, he needed them himself.
Dr Row was calling on Miss Nancy Urice last Sat night.
I await with interest for the Tribune on each Sat evening for I like it better that any other paper I get.
Once in a While


Mr J L Powell of Keyser has turned farmer and has been planting potatoes on Limestone during the past week. The planting is OK, but how about the bugs, Lem?
H B Carlton has been helping to boom Keyser by visiting the burg each day for the past month. He is looking after business for H G Steorts for a short time.
There will be a debate at Limestone School house on Wed May 10th. Subject: Resolved that the form of Government has more to do with the prosperity of a country than its location. Everyone invited.
Farmers are very busy and have not time to chat.
Kephart and Sons are planting out fruit trees and berries.
I M Fisher and Bro have finished spraying and their orchard is in a No 1 condition. They believe in doing things right and are doing it that way.
Blue Ribbon people are hatching some fancy eggs for Tribune Editor, watch the next Poultry Show.
Mrs Corbaugh, of Hagerstown, is visiting her daughter, Mrs H B Carlton.
Grover Smith, has about completed his new house on Main Street, Limestone.

MAY 2, 1911

We have had a few days nice and warm, up to last night when it closed out with a thunder storm, and this morning it is again too cold for any vegetation to grow. The grass had begun to put up a little, and, as nearly everyone is out of feed, stock has been turned out upon the pastures, but the nip is very short. The long, hard winter has caused some to lose some stock. Ad. Lucas lost a valuable cow last week, but not from poverty. She was in fine condition but ventured too far into a swamp where she mired and perished before they found her.
We have no gardens made, potatoes planted or oats sowed here yet.
People in our community are well, generally.
We neglected to mention in our last letter - 4 weeks ago - that Ran Cosner, whom it will be remembered, lost his sawmill by fire last winter, has the same rebuilt and has been sawing for some time.
The Speicher Lumber Co, have their mill moved to a new set and are rushing business.
Bruce Roderick is driving Gabe Hanlin's team, hauling 100,000 ft. of lumber from a yard on Hanlin's farm to Schell, for The White Lumber Co., of Cumberland. They haul 1,500 ft. at a load and Bruce says if he didn't fear that the County Court would drive him off the roads, he would haul 2,000 ft. with his two horse team. Our "Good Roads" man, Ad Lucas has been out on the Schell road with his "go-devil" road machine (invented and constructed by himself" and has put the road into fine order, and at about one half the expense that it has been done heretofore with the large road machine.
J W Roderick attended the meeting of the Official Board, of the Elk Garden Circuit, UB Church, which was held at the parsonage in Elk Garden last Tues. The superintendent of the Virginia Conference, Dr A S Hammack, of Staunton, Va, was present. The session was very pleasant, and everything appeared to be in a prosperous condition, and they are looking to a pleasant and prosperous year, which by the change of date in holding the Annual Conference will have 18 months in it, under the care and management of our efficient pastor, Rev L C Messick.
We take this method of acknowledging the receipt of several letters we have received from our friends endorsing our views on "good roads". to those who ask for more the subject I will just say that would be a waste of paper and printers ink. We have a County Court that is able to take care of our roads, and the taxpayers too.
We wish to endorse the courts action in driving the traction engines off our roads, but we do think they should give the autos a speed limit, say a speed of not over four miles an hour in rounding curves and passing teams; on a straight, where they can see there is nothing in their way, let them "scorch" if they wish to. Now, we see no better way to manage this affair and give the teamster a reasonable assurance of safety that to pass an ordinance forbidding the running of automobiles in the county without a license and in order to get such license they be required to file a bond with good security, making them responsible for the damage they cause by not obeying those restrictions specified in their license. It is a well known fact, Mr Editor, that if you or I should go on to a public road with a wheelbarrow or some other "contraption" and rush past a neighbor's team without the proper precaution and cause damage, every court from district magistrate to the Supreme court of the state would hold us responsible, but an auto can come from Va, pass through Mineral Co, cause a half dozen teams to run away, and be in Maryland before you could say scat and have your mouth open.
Uncle John


We regret to say that our esteemed correspondent and friend of many years, Uncle John, has had a badly mashed finer, which for a few weeks has deprived us of his interesting letters, but we are pleased to not that during that time his right hand has not lost its cunning. We are delighted to have one of his letters in this week.


Mrs Michael Dugan, Jr now of Rowlesburg, spent Sat and Sun here with parents.
Mr Wm Kennedy visited in Piedmont Sat.
Messrs W H Hollen and Horace Menefee spent Sun evening with friends in Piedmont.
Mr Paul Douglas returned home Sun night from a visit to Baltimore.
L C McDonald has the best seed potatoes.
Mr Jesse Sharpless, Cashier of the National Bank, of Gormania, spent Sun here with home folk.
Trainmaster R H Williams, of the C&P RR, spent Mon here.
Mrs E S Bottomly of Martinsburg, was here last Mon.
Mr Wm Seaber of Piedmont, was a Keyser visitor Sun evening.
Garden making is still in order. You can get all kinds of garden tools and garden seeds, and of the very best quality, of Frye & Sons.
Miss Hazel McNemar of Cumberland, visited her grand parents Mr and Mrs W C Lewis.
Attorney W H Griffith was in Cumberland on legal business Mon.
Mrs C S Hoffman is visiting friends in Philadelphia.
Supt G S Arnold visited in Keyser Thurs.
Mrs W E Woolf is visiting in Baltimore.
Mr Frank Dixon, of Piedmont was a visitor her Wed.
Mr Rex Lock spent Wed evening with friends in Piedmont.
Mr Bernard Crooks has accepted a position with the Romig Drug Co.
Mr Walter Evans was a business visitor to Piedmont Mon.
Hon C H Vossler went to Maysville this week to look after business interests.
Mr Chas Neville was a business visitor to Cumberland Mon.
Mr J W Ravenscroft was a B&O Visitor to Newburg Mon.
Mr L K Jacobs of Newburg, spent Sun here with his parents.
Mr S H Davis, of Cumberland, is spending a few days with his daughter, Mrs I H Gaston, Main St.
The cheapest shoes for the money can be bought at I M Long's store.
C E Veach is on the sick list.
Miss Myrtle Harper is very sick at her home at Durgon of erysipelas.
Mr Bruce Bosely who has been attending the University, returned to Keyser Tues.
Dr A T Cross was in Keyser on business Wed.
Mr H G Steorts came home from the reservoir quite sick Sat evening, but he was able to attend to business Mon.
Mrs S M Fairall, who resided at 17 Davis St, moved to Altoona Penn, this week. She will make her future home there.
Mrs Henry and Mrs Harry Cole, of Cumberland, were called to Kesyer, on account of the serious illness of their father, Mr George Freeland.
Miss Emma Carr, spent Sat and Sun with friends in Cumberland.
Mrs William Welch and daughter, Minnie, spent Sat and Sun with relatives in Cumberland.
Miss Edith Hodges is visiting her friends in Cumberland.
Mr Robert Walsh was a business visitor to Piedmont Tues.
Mr Payne Gordon is on the sick list this week.
Mr Charle Smith, of Burlington, came over to Keyser in his auto Mon.
Girl wanted - To do housework, no washing. Good wages. Apply to 42 S Church St, Keyser WVa.
Capt and Mrs J W Vandiver attended the Missionary Jubilee yesterday.
Mrs Sadie Leatherman was shopping in Keyser yesterday.
Mrs W C Whistler, who has been visiting friends in Keyser, has returned home in Fairmont.
At a meeting of the state camp M W A held in Charleston this week our fellowtownsman, Mr C E Dayton, was selected as the delegate from the second district to the head camp meeting at Buffalo, NY June 20
Miss Doxie Stewart, of New Creek, spent last week with friends in Keyser.
Miss Percy Harvey of Blaine, spent Sun in Keyser with friends.
Mr J M Smith, moved from Spring St to St James St last Fri.
Messrs Haven Arnold and John Arnold spent Sun with friends in Cumberland.
Mrs L L Edgell visited in Harpers Ferry from Thurs until Mon.
Dr C S Hoffman went to Philadelphia the first of the week and Dr Kalbaugh had the care of his patients during his absence.
Mr W H Coffman is using a cane because of a mashed foot.
W A Liller was in Baltimore the first of the week.
Misses Mary O'Brian and Winifred Hannon, of Piedmont visited friends in Keyser Sun.
Mr and Mrs W W Dawson were called to Westernport Sat by the illness of Mr David Bothwell.
Messrs Patrick Dailey and Paul Goshorn spent Sun with friends in Keyser.
Dr and Mrs Z T Kalbaugh visited Keyser Sat.
Get your Sheep Dip of the S&T Hardware Co. They have the best at the right price. It pays to use it.
Mrs F L Kimmell handsomely entertained the Ladies Aid Society of the ME Church at Her home on Orchard St, last Fri evening.
Miss B C McAndrews was visiting in Keyser last Sat.
Mr W W Kessner was doing some repair work for Messrs J C Watson and J R Bane this week. It was he who put a new roof on Mrs E P Hoffman's dwelling last week.
Sheep shearing time will soon be here, wool is low; save your sheep and lambs by using Sheep Dip. The S&T Hardware Store, of Keyser, has the best Dip, and can make you the best price.
The Charity Entertainment given in the High School Auditorium last week for the benefit of a cripple was a decided success, and those who had the management of the affiar desire to extend thanks to those who took part in the entertainment, to the ones who purchased tickets, to every one who purchased tickets, to every one who made a donation, and to each person who assisted in any way whatever toward that worthy cause.
Phone your orders for ice cream to Brown Bros, 69 Armstrong St.
Rev J H Moore, who was injured by a street car in Washington, is at the home of Atty W H Griffith, and is improving as fast as could be expected.
Mr and Mrs V F Alkire spent Mon in Cumberland.
Dr and Mrs W T Highberger, of Maysville, visited at the home of Hon C H Vossler from Sat until Tues.
Mr J Frank Bane visited in Keyser Sat and Sun.
Mrs A S Wolf and little granddaughter, Francis Whitehouse, left for Newburg Wed morning on a visit to her daughter, Mrs Joe Fromheart.
Miss Joe Ravenscroft left for Washington Thursday where she has accepted a position.
Chambermaid Wanted - Call at the Martin House, Keyser WV.
At an election held in Charleston W Va yesterday, the town went wet by a majority of 76.
Mrs J C Sanders gave a reception Wed afternoon, from 4 - 6 o'clock, in honor of her sister, Mrs H C Bowlby, of Morgantown.
Messrs E E Puriington, of Keyser, and Thomas O'Brion of Piedmont, left Wed night for Jacksonville, Fla, where they will attend the O R C convention next week. Capt Compton and Wm Newman expect to leave next Sun night for the same place and to attend the same convention.


Programme - Grant, Hampshire, Hardy, Mineral County Medical Society - Burlington
May 11, 1911, 2:30 pm
Business Session
Disease of Gall Bladder and Bile Ducts, Dr C S Hoffman; discussion opened by Dr W M Babb
Cirrhosis of Liver, Dr W H Yeakley; discussion opened by Dr J F Scott.
"Salvarsan" Dr Dayton J Long; discuss opened by Dr E H Parsons.
Voluntary Papers
Reports of Cases, M F Wright, Secretary.


The engagement of Mr Horace P Whitworth and Miss Nancy Dixon, both of Westernport has been announced. Mr Whitworth is a well known member of the bar, and Miss Dixon is the daughter of the late Samuel Dixon, of Piedmont.



Tues morning at six o'clock at the Church of the Assumption, at Keyser, the wedding of Mr David Patrick Kennedy, of Fairmont, and Miss Katherine Josephine Dugan of Keyser, took place with Rev Father O'Hara officiating. The attendants were Miss Mary Ellen Dugan, sister of the bride, and Mr James Kennedy of Fairmont, brother of the groom. Several of the friends and relatives were in attendance at the wedding. The bride was attired in a tan coat suit, with harmonizing hat and gloves, and the maid of honor wore a light grey coat suit.
Following the ceremony a wedding breakfast was served at the home of the bride, after which the happy couple took the B&O train for eastern cities.
The bride is a graduate nurse of the Cook Hospital, Fairmont, and the groom is a prominent businessman of that city, where they will reside. Both are very popular young people.


Dr A K Dickel, of Keyser and Miss Catherine Horan of Chicago, were married on Tues AM, April 25 at St James Church, Chicago, by Rev Father Kern.
Mr Dickel is our popular veterinarian. Mrs Dickel was one of the accomplished and popular ladies of Chicago.
The happy couple will reside in our town. The Doctor's many friends extend hearty congratulations.


Married at Oakland Md May 4, Wade Condron, of Swanton Md and Miss Dorothy L Troy, of Keyser.
Mr Condron is a brakeman on the B&O and Mrs condron has been one of Mineral County's most successful teachers.
The Tribune extends congratulations.


Harvey Drabson and S Lavina Shirely, both of Blaine, were licensed to marry in Cumberland last Mon.



Mrs Sydney Howard Chapman, widow of John B Chapman, who was killed at Slanesville several years ago, died at her home in Winchester last Wed. She is survived by her son, Granville H Chapman, of Slanesville and a brother, Henry Howard of Fairmont.


Clyde Armentrout, aged 23 years, Baltimore and Ohio fireman, died Monday afternoon at the Allegany Hospital, Cumberland. His body was sent to his former home at Upper Tract W Va for interment.


In view of the general sentiment favoring the abandoning of unnecessary work in the Post Office Dept on the Sabbath and knowing it to be a step toward the procurement of a more ideal Sabbath; we, the Ministerial Union, of Keyser, desire to express through the press our hearty cooperation and endorsement.
M H Keen, Sec.


Chas. N Finnell, Guardian for Mabel Orr et al, filed his report.
L O Davis, Administrator of Isaac Long, Dec'd filed his report and it was referred to harry Fisher as commissioner.
Moran & Telle et al vs John T Compton et al Bill dismissed and DuBois and Bond Brothers ordered to pay cost.
Ollie Smathers vs Blanche F Smathers, et al H G Fisher commissioner ordered to convey to Ollie E Smathers lot No 365 on James St.
H G Fisher, Trustee, reported sale of lot 171 on Armstrong St, Keyser, which belonged to the T R Carskadon estate, to J R Bane for $2000 cash and the court confirmed the sale.
R A Welch, commissioner, made report in the case of Lillian Sears, administratrix of Stingley L Sears.
Judge R W Dailey was present this week and was on the Bench during the hearing of a few of the cases.


Last Sat afternoon Judge F M Reynolds, in a very able and carefully prepared decision in which he impartially reviewd both sides of the case, quoting numerous and strong authorities, granted the temporary injunction asked for by the County Court of Mineral County, forbidding traction engines running over our public roads for the purpose of doing ordinary hauling thereon.


Lost Tues evening on the street in Keyser, a gold Eastern Star pin. The finder will be rewarded if pin is returned to Miss Emma Carr, 17 W Piedmont St.


At the old stand, tomatoes and cabbage. Will also have peppers, egg plants and cauliflower.
Mrs T P Adams


A charter has been issued by the state secretary of W Va to the Pine Swamp Big Vein Coal Company of Piedmont W Va, authorizing it to develop coal lands in Mineral County. The capital stock is $600,000; Lewis P Winston, Joshua L Craig, Harry F Guisendaffer, Harry F Shew and Authur M Easter, of Baltimore are named as incorporators.


The record for the heaviest train ever hauled with one engine on the Second division was made Mon when one of 65 loads pulled into Keyser from Brunswick. The weight of the load was 1755 tons. The train was hauled by engine No 2860, Engineer W E True, Firman H K Brilley. It left Brunswick at 8:10am, and arrived at Keyser at 5:49pm, nine hours and 39 minutes of running time, which is unremarkable, considering the heaviness of the train.