ELK GARDEN SCHOOLS
Until 1811, students in Elk Garden attended Shady Dell,
Shade Side, Emoryville and Shilo Schools. After the coal mines went
into production, the Board of Education in Elk District built a 4
The first principal was D C ARNOLD until 1914, at that time two other rooms were added to the main building to start the first high school. Mr. Arnold was promoted to Superintendent of Elk District Schools.
MR. BELL was principal in 1914.
The first graduating class in 1917 consisted of:
This building was used until 1928, when a portable two room building was bought from Sears & Roebuck & Co. This was constructed to house the three year high school students. To acquire their fourth year, they had to attend Kitzmiller High School.
In 1939, a brick building was constructed by the Mineral County Board of Education.
It was 10 rooms and a gymnasium and 4 more rooms were added in 1952, band room and shop in 1956, and new shop and cafeteria in 1976.
Information for this article was obtained from the
article submitted by Paul Kalbaugh to Mineral County WV Family Traits
Tracks and Trails.
SUBMITTED BY KIM DURST
TO SCHOOL INDEX
RETURN TO MINERAL