The first schools were “pay schools.” Years before there was any provision for public education the children of Frankfort had opportunity to attend school although these schools were financed by private subscriptions, it seems that all were privileged to attend. Dennis Daniels built the first schoolhouse – just one room on a lot beside the later school building.
There was a Free School Law passed Dec 1863,
A lot was deeded to the Board of Education of Frankfort District on Nov 1874 by Jacob Adams and Martha E Adams, his wife of County of Mineral and State of WV, for sum of $75. A two-room school was built here – one room up and one down. This building was used until 1908. (It was moved away and remodeled into a home and still in use).
In 1908, a new two room, both on the ground floor building was built. Later two more rooms were added and the building was used 68 years as a school. It is not in use now as a school and has been sold to Methodist Church as a parking lot. Since Frankfort High School was built, their previous high school building is the Middle School and there is an Elementary School here.
Ft Ashby celebrates its Sesqui-Centennial in July 29-31, 1938. The Crowning of “Queen Frankfort I” was a notable event. Highlights of the occasion was an outdoors pageant “Fanfare of Frankfort” Which was written by Lenora W Wood of Keyser for the occasion.
A fire company was organized in Ft Ashby on April 20, 1937. It has been a wonderful help to the town in many ways.
Ft Ashby, the first unincorporated community of the County to establish its own street lighting system on a cooperative basis, paid tribute to the Ft Ashby Volunteer Fire Dept for the accomplishments on March 1847. Three of the oldest residents and life-long citizens of the town had the honor of throwing the switch, which turned on the 23 lights, illuminating the streets of the town. They were R Rosser Allen, aged 82, pulling the switch; Mrs Atha Marker, aged 86 and Mrs Maggie Adams, aged 81. The streetlights were made possible by a cooperative program sponsored by the Fire Co with all of the town’s 115 families participating.
Submitted By: Wilda Pyles
MINERAL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA, FAMILY TRAITS, TRACKS AND TRAILS