MEETING MINUTES / PASTORS

On page 227 of the Minutes of the Presbytery of the Winchester (now on file in the U T
S Library, Richmond) we find:

A call for the pastoral services of MR JOHNSON was presented to Presbytery from the church of Mt. Hope, which on motion was placed in his hands and accepted."
"On motion Presbytery resolved to hold an adjourned meeting at Mr. Hope on Thursday, Nov 23, 11 AM, for the purpose of ordaining Mr. Johnson, if the way be clear, and installing him pastor of said church. DR. FOOTE was appointed to preside and to propose the constitutional questions, MR. DUTTON his alternate; MR PROCTOR to charge the Bishop, MR HEATON, alternate; MR WILSON, to preach the sermon, DR. HARRISON his alternate; MR JENNINGS to charge the people, MR GRAHAM, alternate. Adjourned to meet at Mt. Hope, November 23, 1854, 11AM. Closed with prayer".

On page 228 - 229 the following:

"Adjourned meeting, Mr. Hope, Nov 23, 1854.
At the appointed hour for the meeting of Presbyter, a quorum not being in attendance, the members present adjourned until 3:00 PM, but being still without a time Presbytery was opened with a trial sermons of MR J JOHNSTON, from Luke 24:26, "Ought not Christ to have suffered, etc, after which Presbytery was called to order. In the absence of the Moderator, the REV. W H FOOTE, D. D. , was called to the chair, REV. J. GRAHAM was chosen temporary clerk. The following members were present:

MINISTERS

REV. W. H. FOOTE

REV. M RAYMOND

REV. L. F. WILSON

REV. J. R. GRAHAM

RULING ELDERS

MR. F. S. SHEETZ, PATTERSON CREEK CHURCH

MR. JOSEPH MCCARTY, MT. HOPE CHURCH

"On motion, Presbytery having heard the trial sermon of MR. JOHNSTON sustained it as satisfactory. Adjourned till Friday 8AM. Closed with prayer."
"Friday, November 24, 8AM, Presbytery met and was opened with prayer, and then proceeded to the examination of MR. JOHNSTON, with a view to his ordination. Having examined him in Theology, Church History, Church Government, and the Sacraments, on motion the examination upon his literary course was omitted, in view of the fact that such an examination had been made within the last month and approved. On motion, the whole examination was sustained as satisfactory and his ordination and installation were made the order of the day for 11 AM. The absence of some of the members previously appointed to take part, a change was necessary, VIZ., REV L F WILLISON to preach the sermon, REV W H FOOTE to preside, propose the questions and charge the bishop; REV M RAYMOND to charge the people.
Presbytery took recess till 11 O'clock.
"11AM Presbytery met and proceeded to the order of the day, when MR JOHN Johnson was solemnly set apart to the full work of the Gospel Ministry, by the laying on of hands of the Presbytery, and at the same times was installed pastor of the Church at Mt Hope. Closed with Prayer."
The REV JOHN JOHNSTON was a native of Ireland and graduate of the University of Belfast, Ireland. He came to the US in 1853. He married MISS SALLIE WELTON, October 25, 1854. MR JOHNSTON spent forty years of his ministerial life in our Presbytery. He was a preacher of unusual power and a man of learning. Being the scholar he was, he was seriously impressed with the lack of school facilities for the youth of our community. As our church has always maintained an educated ministry, so too, it has taught that parents are solemnly required to give their children every opportunity in Christian education. Seeing this lack of school, MR JOHNSTON opened a school in the church on the hill, and excellent one as many students later attested. MR ISAAC HEISKELL of Romney and a MRS WHITE were also teachers, and below are the names of a few scholars though there were many others:

MISS LUCY SHEETZ

DAVID LONG

MISS MARGARET SHEETZ

JAMES REESE

MISS ELLA RIZELL

ROBERT CARSKADON

JOHN P ARNOLD


Preaching and teaching and a growing pastorate did not deter MR JOHNSTON from seeing the needs of nearby towns, and with a commission from Presbyter organized a Presbyterian Church in the town of Piedmont, WV in 1856.
After a faithful ministry, MR JOHNSTON resigned as pastor in 1857. He died in Elk Garden, WV Sept 19, 1894. He was a pioneer ministry and a very fruitful one.

REV MALCOLM WOODWORTH

REV MALCOLM WILLIAM WOODWORTH was born in the North White Creek, near Cambridge, Washington Co, NY, Jan 31, 1832; son of WILLIAM WOODWORTH , a farmer, and SHARLEY GILBORT NORTON. He was educated at Cortlandville Academy, Cortlandville,NY; Union College, Shcenectady Seminary, Princeton NJ where he was graduated in 1857.
REV WOODWORTH was received by Winchester Presbytery as a candidate July 13th, 1855, licensed to preach April 18, 1857, and ordained Sept 5, 1857. he came to Keyser and Piedmont immediately on graduation and was installed pastor of Mt Hope and Piedmont Churches on Oct 17, 1857, and remained as pastor on the rolls of the Presbytery until Sept 17, 1865, when the relationship was dissolved. He was married May 5, 1864, to MISS SUSAN ELIZABETH STREIT, daughter of WILLIAM HILL STREIT, a ruling elder in the Kent Street Presbyterian Church, Winchester VA. He became stated supply to the Patterson Creek field (Burlington, Eusebia and Alaska) which he served until 1887. He was pastor at Davis July 16 1887 to Sept 8, 1893, and a Holly Meadows from 1893 - 1895. On April 22, 1898 he was dismissed to Lexington Presbytery where he served Stony Run and Beulah Churches to the fall of 1900, when his health failed and he returned to Gerstell, WV and from there he went to Burlington WV, where he died Feb 1, 1903, in the home of his son R V WOODWORTH.

REV EDWARD MARTIN

In 1867, the church called the REV EDWARD MARTIN. The people had never forgotten his splendid work when he walked over the mountains to supply the few people with preaching services. MR. MARTIN accepted the call and entered upon a very successful ministry. HE was greatly beloved by the congregations at New Creek and Piedmont. Our Church continued to grow in influence and became a stronghold in the community.
The REV EDWARD MARTIN, D.D. was born in Richmond VA, Feb 4, 1827, aged 58 years on the date of his death, Feb 26, 1885.
In 1854, he went to Nottoway Court House, Nottoway County VA, preaching there at Shiloh and Republican until 1867 when he was called to Mt Hope Church. He accepted this call and arrived with his family in June 1867, resigning in 1870 to accept a call to St Charles Missouri, as pastor of Presbyterian Church in that city.
When MR. MARTIN came to New Creek there was no church building. It having been burned by the soldiers during the Civil War, and was never rebuilt. He preached for some time in a house on the Potomac River, used temporarily used as a Court House. MR JOHN HUGHES fixed up a room above his store on Water Street, and this was used as a preaching place until the Court House was finished on Armstrong St, and they were given permission to use it. This was their only place of worship until early in the REV JOHN M CLYMER pastorate, lost were purchased on East Street, and the second church was built, a commodious structure. This building was later owned by the Peters Hardware Co.
It was while MR MARTIN was pasotr that his wife influenced the women of the church, and the first women's organization was inaugurated know as the "The Ladies' Mite Society", and in 1867. The work thus began has never ceased.

RETURN TO FIRST PRESBYTERIAN

RETURN TO MINERAL