FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
SKETCH OF THE SABBATH SCHOOL

We know from tradition that the Sabbath School was organized shortly after the church was organized in 1853. That until the destruction of the church building that stood on the Hill, the SabbathSchool was conducted in the building located a short distance from the present "Manse". The old church sessional records from which we should be able to secure reliable information are not available. On this account we cannot give the names of the officers and teacher, nor the enrollment of scholars and the work of the school.
After building the new church on East Street, (formerly Peter's Hardware Store) and during the pastorate of Rev J M Clymer, beginning in 1871 MR W C CLAYTON was Superintendent. He was followed by COL THOMAS E MCCOOL, and in succession came: MR C W DAILEY, MR T B FRYE, MR F E HUTCHINSON, MR RICHARD KEYSER and MR WILLIAM MACDONALD.

LIST OF PASTORS

MINISTERS OF MOUNT HOPE

REV JOHN JOHNSON 1854 - 1857
REV M W WOODWORTH 1857 - 1865
REV EDWARD MARTIN (S.S.) 1867 - 1870
REV JOHN M CLYMER 1871 - 1890

MINISTERS OF FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

REV J H MOORE 1890 - 1905
REV J W PURCELL 1906 - 1907
REV M B LAMBDIN 1907 - 1912
REV A O PRICE 1912 - 1914
REV A N PERRYMAN 1914 - 1920
REV C A ENGLE 1921 - 1924
REV JOHN A WOOD 1924 -