FORT ASHBY, WEST VIRGINIA
A village and post office of Patterson's
Creek, Frankfort District, Mineral County WV.
Lewis in 1906 stated that Frankfort, Hampshire County, now Alaska, in Mineral County, was established by legislative enactment in December 1787.
Fort Ashby was first known as Frankford, and that later, because of the fort located there, became Frankfort. The latter name caused a postal conflict, and the Post Office Dept. renamed it Alaska.
The present designation, Fort Ashby, is from a stockade by that name which stood in early days upon the east bank of Patterson's Creek. The fort was erected in 1755 by order of George Washington, and in 1756 Captain John Ashby reached this fort safely in a remarkable escape from the Indians.
FROM FRONTIER FORTS ALONG THE POTOMAC AND ITS TRIBUTARIES
BY WILLIAM H. ANSEL