GEORGE T CARSKADON

  The business prosperity, enterprise and solidarity of a town are, in a large measure, indicated by the extent and character of her commercial houses. Large houses exercise a far-reaching influence and the names of the owners of these houses become familiar by name and reputation over a large section of the country. This success has made them conscience and they reflect in a certain ratio the credit and honor of the community of which they are members. The trade represented by the above named gentleman is one of the most important factors in the make up of the own's commercial interests, and its history offers to the aspiring youth a commercial lesson most valuable in casting the horoscope of the future. It's history is that of a success which has followed the result of honest effort inspired by high motives. It is one which offers peculiar and magnetic attractions for us to dwell upon. Founded in 1874, it is now registered upon the tablet of time as one of the oldest business houses in the town, and from a modest start it has reached a place second to no mercantile house in this county.
  Through these many years, the depression of a panic, the business has gone upward and onward and has always maintained a reputation for honor and stability which reflects a credit and triumph upon its owner most honorable and enduring. But little can be said about the importance of this house that is not already known. Its owner is a man whose name is closely linked and interwoven with the history of the town. Mr Carskadon's store, situated on the northeast corner of South Main and Center Streets, is a substantial two story structure, covering a space of 35X100 feet, the second floor being used as a public hall. As remarked by Mr Carskadon, the stock embraces everything from a needle to a threshing machine, including dry goods, notions, boots and shoes, groceries, hardware, china, glass and earthen ware, farm machinery and implements. Wool, grain and country produce are bought by Mr Carskadon, the highest possible prices being paid. The house's trade is not confined to this county, but reaches out over several other counties. A delivery wagon makes free deliveries in town trade. Mr Carskadon is a director in the Keyser Bank and is possessed of considerable reality. He is prominent in Masonic circles and is a gentleman of sterling worth.

TRANSCRIBED OCTOBER 28, 2001 BY PATTI MCDONALD

RETURN TO KEYSER TRIBUNE JULY 1898
RETURN TO MINCO NEWS
RETURN TO MINERAL