J A SHARPLESS
J A Sharpless was born in Elk Garden, Mineral County, in
1844. After attending the Fairmont Normal, he taught school for seven
years in Piedmont, and for three consecutive terms was elected County
Superintendent of mineral County schools.
Seventeen years ago, he moved to Keyser where, for the next eight years, he filled the e office of deputy sheriff. In 1890, Mr Sharpless entered the service of the Keyser Bank as bookkeeper, and he is now paying teller and acting assistant cashier of that institution, In June, 1881, he was united in marriage to Miss Carrie A Nesbitt, of Fairmont, his family consisting of five children.
Mr. Sharpless has always taken a deep interest in the progress and well being of Keyser. He has been a member of the Board of Education for a number of terms and is at present its president. He has officiated as a member of the town council and as mayor. It was during Mr Sharpless' incumbency of the latter office that the B&O shops were secured for Keyser and much personal credit has been accorded him for the success of that movement. He resides with his family in one of the finest residences of Keyser, an illustration of which is given herewith. Some twelve years ago, Mr Sharpless acquired the tract of land known as the McCarty property consisting of eight acres, and the grounds surrounding this residence still comprise about six acres, much of which is devoted to a fine fruit orchard and garden. Mr Sharpless contemplates subdividing a greater portion of these grounds into building lots of residences, of which he will dispose at reasonable figures. When first coming into possession of the property, the house was one of the usual frame cottages, so common in this section, but about 3 years ago, Mr Sharpless entirely remodeled and practically rebuilt it, making additions to both the front and rear. The result is a 2-story, 10 room residence, thoroughly modern, and as comfortable in its interior arrangements as its strikingly handsome exterior would suggest. The well-kept lawn, numerous shade and fruit trees, garden, barns and buildings leave nothing to be desired in point of embellishment of convenience. The improvements were by no means limited to the buildings. The walks were rebuilt, a handsome fence erected and hydrant water introduced on the grounds. The location is in the heart of Keyser's residence district, and the homes of many of our leading citizens join on the extensive grounds.
TRANSCRIBED OCTOBER 27, 2001 BY PATTI MCDONALD
RETURN TO KEYSER
TRIBUNE JULY 1898
RETURN TO MINCO NEWS
RETURN TO MINERAL