J D GELWICKS
KEYSER'S ONLY EXCLUSIVE SHOE MERCHANT
Situated in the center of the business district of Keyser,
is the shoe business of John D Gelwicks, without doubt the head of
the shoe trade in the town. This modern emporium is located on Main
Street. It is a substantial structure, presenting an attractive
appearance and covering a ground space of 18X36 feet. The interior of
the store is inviting, being fitted up and arranged especially to
suit the character of the business. The stocks carried in this
establishment are commensurate with its reputation, consisting of a
very complete assortment of footwear for both sexes, comprising goods
made by the leading factories of the US. Here are to be found boots
and shoes adapted literally to every "walk of life"
embracing all styles, qualities and descriptions, from the daintiest
ladies' slippers to the strong durable workman's boot. The stock is
essentially fresh and clean, being the newest and best on the market.
Mr Gelwicks has the exclusive sale here of the M A Packard shoe for
men, the Hayes and Patridge shoe for ladies, and Krohn Fechheimer
Co's ladies and children's shoes. When desired boots and shoes are
made to order. The shoe business of Mr Gelwicks as it now stands was
established in 1894, he having been engaged in shoemaking here since
1874. Previously, for about two years, Mr Gelwicks was in the employ
of Wm Wheeler, one of Piedmont's pioneer shoemen.
In 1864, Mr Gelwicks began learning the shoemaker's craft, of which he is a thorough master. He conducts a repair dept in connection with his business and his practicability enables him to intelligently cater to the public's wants in his line.
That his manner of doing business and goods handled are appreciated is attested by the lucrative trade he enjoys. Mr Gelwicks is a native of Maryland, born Nov 1846, at Boonesboro. He is possessed of business qualifications of ? order and deservedly stands, ? this community.
the business house occupied by Mr Gelwicks is his own property, besides which he owns a handsome residence.
TRANSCRIBED OCTOBER 29, 2001 BY PATTI MCDONALD
RETURN TO KEYSER
TRIBUNE JULY 1898
RETURN TO MINCO NEWS
RETURN TO MINERAL