KEYSER CHURCHES
If I have omitted any Keyser Churches, or if you have any additional information to share on the ones listed, please let me know.
Patti

MOUNT HOPE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Organized in 1853, in the parlous of the Robert K. Sheetz mansion, now the home of Dr. From, and known as the Radical Hill Mansion house. They built a church in 1855 at 152 Overton Place on land donated by Mrs. Sarah (Mosely) McCarty. A graveyard surrounded the church. About 25 years ago, the graves were removed to provide a site for the Boy Scout Cabin.

FIRST METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
After the Civil War, the Methodists of Frostburg were building a new church, and sold their old church building to the Methodists at New Creek, who hauled it to Keyser and re-erected it at the corner of Main and Center Streets, where Minnich's Flower Shop is still housed in the old building.

THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, SOUTH
Held their first services in the early 1700's in the front room of the "Old Stone House" in Mrs. Sidney (ATHEY) MURPHY'S apartment. Later, ministers from the Piedmont Southern Methodist Church preached in the basement of the Presbyterian Church here.

SOUTHERN METHODIST SUNDAY SCHOOL
Simon RUDOLPH, tinsmith, a devout man, started this school in the Court House basement in 1874 with 13 pupils. He paid out of his own pocket $20 yearly for rent of its use.

FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
32 Davis Street Keyser, WV 26726
Began as the Paddytown Class of the Hampshire Circuit of the Methodist Episcopal denomination in 1850. The church building was on Welch Street, and was destroyed as an act of war during the Cival War. The present structure was erected in 1894.

KEYSER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
300 South Mineral Street, Keyser, WV 26726
After the Civil War, the Presbyterians built a church at 116 East Street which is still standing.
Formally organized Dec. 4, 1853, under the Winchester Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in the US.
It is now a part of the Shenandoah Synod of the Virginia Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in the US.
The present church structure was erected in 1961.

GRACE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
30 South Mineral Street, Keyser, WV 26726
Organized in 1874 as a Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The present church was built in 1921.

CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION (Roman Catholic)
34 James Street, Keyser, WV 26726
Organized and the present church erected in 1874. The first Mass was celebrated on Sept. 20, 1874 by Rev. Father BUTLER, D.D., Chaplain of Col. MULLIGAN'S "Irish" Chicago Battalion, which camped not far from their present chruch. The first Roman Catholic Church Building was St. James Church, for which James Street was named.
Prior to this date, the members had worshipped in Westernport, MD. The Keyser church is part of the
Wheeling diocese.

JANES UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Church Street, Keyser, WV 26726
Organized as a Methodist Episcopal Church and named for Bishop Janes of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The present church was erected in 1876.

TRINITY LUTHERAN CHURCH
76 North Davis Street, Keyser, WV 26726
Organized in 1903, and became part of the WV Synod in 1906, and a part of the Western PA - WV Synod in 1963. The present church building was erected in 1969.

EMMANUEL EPISCOPAL CHURCH
301 South Mineral Street, Keyser, WV 26726
The present church building was dedicated in 1911. Prior to that date the congregation had met in the Presbyterian Church and the Odd Fellows Hall.

KEYSER CHURCH OF THE BRETHREN
Main Street & Fort Avenue, Keyser, WV 26726
Present church building was dedicated in December of 1920. Prior to that date, the congregation had met in the Odd Fellows Hall.

CALVARY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
233 South Mineral Street, Keyser, WV 26726
Organized in 1903 as the United Brethren Christ Church. The present church was dedicated Sept. 17, 1922

FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
255 Spring Street, Keyser, WV 26726
Organized in 1957 and the present church erected.

ASSEMBLY OF GOD
Route 220 South, Keyser, WV 26726
Organized in 1946, moved to its present location in 1962.

CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS
Liberty Street, Keyser, WV

CHURCH OF ALL WORLDS
Keyser, WV 26726

BELIEVERS FELLOWSHIP
144 East Street, Keyser, WV 26726

LIVING FAITH FELLOWSHIP
1 North Main Street, Keyser, WV 26726

BONNIEVIEW APOSTOLIC CHAPEL
New Creek Drive, Keyser, WV 26726

MINERAL BAPTIST CHURCH
Fort Ashby Road, Keyser, WV 26726

SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH
Hollywood Road, Limestone, Keyser, WV 26726

POTOMAC HIGHLANDS BAPTIST CHURCH
Route 220 & Arnold Lane, Keyser, WV 26726

CHURCH OF GOD
277 West Piedmont Street, Keyser, WV 26726

CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS
Airport Addition, Keyser WV
Services Sunday 9-12, Pastor Casey Ritz

Back to Mineral Communities
Back to Mineral