THE KEYSER MILLING COMPANY
A MAGNIFICENT NEW PLANT, FULLY EQUIPPED
In the line of succession, this is one of Keyser's oldest
manufacturing industries now in operation. The original mill was
built by Allender & Madera, in 1873, and was a 20 barrel burr
mill. Even at that day, it enjoyed a high standing as a producer if
superior flour, a reputation which has been maintained up to the
present time, although the crude machinery of the burr system has now
given place to the latest and most modern roller patent equipment,
and in place of the frame building, a magnificent three-story brick
structure has been erected.
Allender & Madera disposed of the property to L R Wagoner, who sold it to Joseph Allender and John Hughes. Mr Allender afterward bought out his partner and subsequently the mill was purchased by L A Riser. On June 16, 1890, it was entirely destroyed by fire, but Mr Riser immediately began construction work on a new mill which is today one of the most complete in this section, and it was opened and began operating on Nov 1st of the same year. In 1892, the L A Riser Milling Co was formed, and its interests were disposed of about five years ago to the Keyser Milling Co.
With the exception of a small block held by a Charleston citizen, all the capital stock of $15,000 is owned by Keyser people The capacity of the mill is 60 barrels of flour and 24 tons of feed every twenty-four hours. A large exchange business is done, and all grain offered locally is accented, but the company also strips in a great many cars of corn and wheat, from Ohio, Pa, and Va points. The flour, meal and feed products are shipped principally to points on the W Va Central RR, although a considerable trade has been built up along the B&O. A large local demand is also supplied. the brands of flour manufactured include: Patent Best, Rising Sun and Boss, the first name recognizing no superior as a family flour for all uses. The head miler, S R Hott, to whom in a measure is due the high efficiency of the plant, had been with the old mill from 1889 until its destruction by fire, and has been in the employ of the Keyser Milling Co for more than four years.
Mr J E Offner, the president and manager, was born in Romney, W Va, and has been a resident of Keyser for the past eight years. He was a stockholder in the L A Riser Milling Co. Mr Offner was last Fe appointed manager of the W Va Building co. The secretary-treasurer, Mr W D Reese Jr, is the chief promoter of this enterprise, and a public-spirited citizen. The board of Directors include, Messrs. J E Offner, W D Reese, Jr, John W Keys, John Koelz and David Long, all residents of Keyser. Mr Koelz, like Mr Offner, was a stockholder in the L A Riser Milling Co.
TRANSCRIBED OCTOBER 29, 2001 BY PATTI MCDONALD
RETURN TO KEYSER
TRIBUNE JULY 1898
RETURN TO MINCO NEWS
RETURN TO MINERAL