MARCH 1915






  After a lingering illness, Mrs Jacob Shoemaker (nee Arnold) passed to the other shore last Sat morning at the age of 62 years, 6 months and 24 days. 

The funeral and burial were conducted at the Pine Church Sun by G S Arnold, and were largely attended.  Mrs. Mary Shoemaker left surviving her, the husband, four sons and four daughters:  Lonnie, Andrew, Frank and Aaron, two of whom are married and live in Davis and Thomas, and none at home; Mrs. Geo Merit, Mrs. Tob Stickley, Mrs. Will Smith and Miss Sallie at home.


  Miss Beulah Shoemaker, of Keyser, was over at J W Leatherman’s last week, but returned to Keyser Sun.


  Mrs. Minor Haines (nee Albright) of Romney, died Sun morning and was buried Mon.  Funeral and burial at Ebenezer church.  Mrs. Lettie Haines was a sister to Mrs. Will Orndorff here on Beaver Run.


  Sam Davy has hired to J B Leatherman for the summer.  Mr. Davy was formerly from Loudon Co Va, but last year worked in one of the peach orchards, whence he came here.


  I have heard that the late Jas T Blackburn left a will and a provision in it to have the farm divided into three tracts for three of the heirs.  Accordingly a committee of three have been appointed to make the division – J H Chesshire, Sommerfield Taylor and Aaron Thrush.


  Silas Buckalew moved his sawing outfit to Clinedinst’s, at the Junction, to do some sawing for them.


  Only a few weeks ago several of the friends here received from Eld J R Leatherman, of Wabasso Fla, some fine oranges as samples of the products down there.  They were both large and luscious and extremely toothsome.  We appreciate such kind remembrance and are thankful for the oranges.  Now if Elder J M Leatherman would have some of those 10 to 15 pound sweet potatoes for samples sent up here, yes and a few sample mosquitos, then we could perceive the correspondence of things down there at Arcada.


  Some of the neighbors have been buying fine shoats at 6 cts a pound.  This lays in the shad by far pigs at $5 or $6 per pair.


  B W Smith has just heard that his sister, Miss Becca Jane Smith is much worse, dangerously ill, and he will go soon to see her, down North River.  She is 70 years old.


  Already the geese have been going northward, prematurely I think.  Bryan wrote a short poem, “T A Waterfowl” a duck, but it is applicable to the goose as well.




  Last Wed afternoon ladies of our city to the number of about 50 held a member in the auditorium of the High School and organized a Civic League with a charter membership of 21, and many more in prospect.    A delegation from the leagues at Piedmont, Westernport and Lonaconing came down and effected the organization and gave the ladies some pointers in working the men up the doing of things.  Mrs. McCandlish presided temporarily, and Miss Sue Johnson, acted as temporary secretary.  Splendid talks were made by Miss Ann Sloan, of Lonaconing, who is the president of Civic Clubs of Allegany Co and also president of the Lonaconing League.  Mrs. Jennie K Nesbitt and Mrs. McCandlish, all of whom were lavish in their praise of the conditions in Keyser.  The constitution of the league at Westernport was read by Miss Bruce for the information of the ladies.  The following members were elected:  1st Vice-Pres, Mrs. Wm R Davis; 2nd Vice-Pres, Mrs. Wm MacDonald; 3rd Vice-Pres, Miss Sue Johnson; Sec, Miss Elizabeth Hoffman; Treas, Mrs. J W Stayman.

  Misses Ruth Gerstell and Fannie Leps and Mrs. George Sincell were appointed a committee to prepare a constitution and bylaws.




License were issued at Cumberland as follows:


March 2 – Edwin V Swadley of Brandywine W Va and Etta Maggie Bodkin of Ruddle WV.




  Mrs. Sarah A Weaver, aged 46, died at 4 o’clock Sat morning at the Tuberculosis Sanitarium on Haystack Mountain.  The body was taken to the Stein morgue where it was prepared for burial and later removed to the home of J W Avers, 1?0 Grand Ave.  She is survived by one son, Ernest Weaver and one daughter, Miss Retta Weaver.  The funeral will take place from the Avers home, Grand Ave at 2:30 o’clock this afternoon.  Burial will be made in Rose Hill Cemetery. – Cumberland News

  Mrs. Weaver was a sister of Mr. Jacob Avers of this city.




  Miss Mamie Iman of Greenland, and Mrs. Joseph Halterman of Scherr were married Feb 24 by Rev Albert Johnson, at the home of Mrs. Hannah Iman, grandmother of the bride.

  This is the first time that Rev Johnson, better known as “Old Greaser” has married a couple.  Rev Johnson was very nervous and excited when the marriage took place.  We hope he can control his excited feelings the next time.  The groom is the son of a farmer, James Halterman, who lives near Scherr.  Both were respected citizens of Grant Co.   Reporter.


MARCH 12, 1915




  Sarah Jane Athey, born July 16, 1842, died Feb 16, 1915.  Married to James Carter Ludwick, Dec 1st (who preceded her to the better world several years ago).  “Aunt Jane” as she was affectionately called by neighbors and friends as well as relatives, united with the church when she was young and was an earnest Christian worker in the Lord’s fold for 54 years.  If “to live in hearts we leave behind is not to die” then there will be no death for this dear friend for many long, long years only “passed over the river to rest under the trees” where loved ones waited for her.

  A vigorous and discerning mind with a sense of uprightness and dislike for anything unworthy and a will to do what she knew to be correct, made up a character strong in the truest sense – stern, if needed be, in defense of the principles of right, but as tender and pitiful for friend or who needed her kindness as any mortal could be.  She freely gave her time, her service and her means to relieve suffering, no matter who the object might be.  Her church and her pastor were always remembered with a generous hand, while she cared not to spend on herself, took pleasure in giving to others.

  The large and interested crowd of friends who attended her funeral services and the beautiful floral tributes which rested on her casket, attest the love and respect of those who knew her and knew her exemplary life.

  She is survived by one brother, J T Athey, Keyser W Va; two sisters, Miss Alice Athey, Columbus O and Mrs. A R McFerran, Cumberland Md; four daughters, Mrs. Mae Breinig, Misses Nance Marie and Anna Ludwick; two sons, Messrs
Andrew Ludwick and Richard Ludwick all of Junction W Va.




  William Charles Orris, 76 years old, A Civil War Veteran, died at his home, 36 Race Street at 11:10 o’clock last night of heart trouble.  He leaves his wife and seven children as follows:
  J I Orris, Youngstown Ohio; Frank W Orris, Elkins W VA, Dr C S Orris, Tarentum Pa; Oran C Orris, Bluefield Pa; Byron K Orris at home; Mrs. H F Figmore, Crestmore N C; Mrs. W V Stewart, Keyser W Va.

  The deceased was a member of the Masonic Lodge of Westernport   He was a member of the First Baptist Church congregation.  Interment will be in Rose Hill in charge of Stein.  Cumb News of 8th.




  By invitation of the School Board, a Committee of Washington Camp No 28, P O S of A, composed of F L Kimmell, Jas E Sheetz, C M Dayton, J S Ward and J W McCoole, visited schools on Tues afternoon, March 9th, and were conducted through the several rooms and departments by members of the Board and Prof Sanders.  The Committee were much impressed by the efficient management and the amount of work which is being done, notwithstanding the congestion, which is so bad, that in several rooms they found from 3-4 scholar using the teacher’s desk on account there being no other place to put them. They found that the Superintendent had given up his office to be used as a class room, and had his desk in a dark corner of the hallway.

  After visiting the primary grades, a vote was taken by the Committee, that the teachers of those grades should by all means have the sympathy and thanks of every parent in town for their earnest efforts in trying to get the best out of such unfavorable conditions.

  The found in the Dept of Manual Training that our children were being taught to do things that will make them useful men and women.  It was certainly a pleasure to see the boys, under the direction of Mr Luke McDowell, making bookcases, etc for the use of the various rooms.

  In the next room visited, they found a class of young ladies, learning the art of cooking and it was on leaving this room that they found Mr. Ward was missing.  On returning to hunt for him, they found him busily engaged in begging the young ladies to let him remain for super.  By using a little moral suasion and force, the rest were able to get him to leave.  But after getting outside he vowed that if that was what they were teaching the children nowadays, that he would stand on the street corners and lecture for more school buildings.  He stated that in his school days, all that he learned was about working wood was to carry it from the forest to make fires in the schools with and for cooking, he could not say enough in praise of this form of study.  Perhaps it was the smell of pork and bread which caused him to take such an interest in this department’s but the rest of the Committee want to be charitable, and so they say it is only because Mr. Ward is so interested in the Public Schools and their up building and the P O S of A and its growth.

  Another department of mention is the sewing room, where may been seen on exhibition some excellent work done by the young ladies.  Prominent among these are several pieces done by Miss Helen Alkire, Miss Nita Shaffer and others.

  Before leaving the Committee visited Mr. Caldwell, the janitor, and too much praise cannot be given him for the care that he gives to his part of this great work.

  One little chap, on seeing his grandfather with the Committee, was so overjoyed that he could not sit still in his seat.  And we are sure that if the parents could have heard the little ones recite and have watched them at their work as this Committee did, that they would avail themselves of Prof Sander’s standing invitation to visit the schools and see what your children are doing, and what is being done for them.

  Too much praise cannot be given to School Board, Prof Sanders and each and every teacher in our schools for the good work they are no doing, the efforts they are making to keep up with the growth of the district and existing conditions.




  Mrs. M A Lemon went to Keyser last Mon to visit her son, John.


  Mr. and Mrs. E A Ludwick and Misses Lula A Michael and Otie Z Ludwick were the guests of J H Endler at Stony River last Sun.


  Miss Florence Spring of Blaine, is visiting her uncle, Thomas Green.


  Thieving seems to be the occupation, if not the profession of some person or persons in this part of the country, as flour, meat, corn and oats have mysteriously disappeared, and in one instance a new suit of clothes.  We wonder how shotgun law would work.


  Rev Geo Burgess of Laurel Dale, visited his brother Job last week.  He is better at this writing.


  Rev Mr. Racey has been holding a successful revival at Mt Pisgah.





  Mrs. W A Liller is on the sick list this week.


  Engineer Isaac Mills has been on the sick list this week.


  The Calendar Coterie met yesterday with Mrs. L S Leps.


  Judge Reynolds was holding court at Parsons this week.


  Mrs. Charles Ritchie has returned form her visit to Fla.


  Miss Mary Caudy of Baltimore is visiting her sister, Mrs. Harry Leps.


  Harry Markwood went to Baltimore Mon on a short business trip.


  Attorney Chas N Finnell went to Parkersburg last night on legal business.


  Mr. and Mrs. C C Clevenger spent Tues with relatives in Cumberland.


  Mr. and Mrs. Harry G Fisher and little daughter spent yesterday in Cumberland.


  J M Linthicum, who has been on the sick list for some time, is getting all right again.


  Pauline, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W H Longsdorf, has been sick the past week.


  Mrs. Orville Harrison and little daughter of Utah, are visiting the former’s parents here.


  Misses Virginia and Frances Tayman of Baltimore are visiting their sister, Mrs. Roy Rafter.


  Sen. O A Hood has bought six thoroughbred Guernsey calves from the west to start a herd on his farm.


  Mrs. Rebecca Dennison, aged 78, was found dead at her home at Alaska on Wed morning.


  Mrs. H S Thompson elegantly entertained the Eastern Star Thimble Club yesterday afternoon at her home.


  Mrs. A M Willhide is reported very ill at the home of her son, Wm A Willhide in South Keyser.


  Jas F Sheetz sold the pair of horses he had advertised in the Tribune to a man at Westernport Wed.


  Wed the youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. Murray Winters pulled a coffee pot over scalding himself very severely on the back.


  Misses May Hoffman of Pleasant Grove Pa, who has been visiting friends here for a short time, returned home Tues.


  Misses Anna and Mary Vossler attended a party Wed evening given by Miss Beulah Singler at their home in Piedmont.


  Mrs. George Sheetz and son George have gone to Trenton NJ for a short visit to the former’s daughter, Mrs. Horan.


  Miss Grace Wenner, who underwent an operation at the hospital a week or two ago, is reported as improving rapidly.


  Misses Minnie Bright and Edith Head, of the Western Md Hospital at Cumberland spent Mon with the former’s home folks.


  Mon night thieves made a raid on Edward Dawson’s hen house at his residence on Fort Hill, and took every chicken in the house.


  Mrs. Mary Wright was operated on last Mon at the Hoffman Hospital for some minor trouble and we hear is getting along nicely.


  F Bruce Allen of Moorefield and Miss Leadom Webb of Williamsport, were married Wed at the Stotler hotel by Rev M H Keen.


  Rev J Howard Wells, pastor of Trinity and Rev L S Rudasill, pastor of St Pauls of this city, are both sick with la grippe.  Their pulpits were filled last Sun by visiting ministers.  Balto Southern Methodist, 11th.

  At the meeting of the Young Woman’s Guild Mon night, officers were elected as follows:  Pres, Mrs. C R Hodges; Vice Pres, Mrs. Edward Hurst; Sec and Treas, Mrs. H L Arnold.


  Mrs. Willis, of Kearneysville, spent a few days here with her brother, Rev R E L Stroder.


  F E Long, B&O brakeman, who underwent an operation for appendicitis at the Hoffman Hospital a couple of weeks ago, is getting along fine and expects to go to his home at Aurora this week.


March 9, 1915


  A R Hickle was in Keyser on important business Wed.


  J W Carskadon and son Fred were in Keyser Sat.


  Mr. and Mrs. D B Bailey were business visitors to Keyser Tues and Wed of last week.


  Robert Carskadon and Miss Dortha Goar were guests of Mrs. Lucy McDonald Fri evening.


  Hampston McNeil was calling on Miss Pearl Sheetz Fri evening.


  Floyd Wilt was calling on Evers Umstot Mon on business.


  Robert Carskadon and Miss Dortha Goar were guests of Mr. and Mrs. W A Leatherman at New Creek Sun evening.


  G W Cook was calling on J W Bailey Sun evening.


  Hampton McNeill and Mrs. I P Carskadon were in Keyser Mon evening.


  George C Bailey sold part of his farm to A O Whip.  Mr. Whip expects to build soon.


  J W Carskadon was a business visitor to Pendleton Co Tues.


  G G Staggs is able to be up again.


   Lorry Stagg purchased a fine gray mare of E W Bailey.


  Wm T Orndorff is recovering from a bad attack of lagrippe.






  At a baptismal service held Sun afternoon at the home of Mrs. Evelyn Cunningham, Green St, the twin son of Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur Cunningham, of Hagerstown were named Pauline Elizabeth and George Wilbur Cunningham.  Rev George E Brown of the First M P church, conducted the ceremony.  A baptismal bowl belonging to the great-grandmother of the babies was used.

  The sponsors were Mrs. Evelyn Cunningham, the grandmother and Miss Fannie Holladay, their great aunt.  Mrs. A C Holladay of Richmond Va, great grandmother of the children was present.  – Cum Times of 9th




Licenses were issued at Cumberland as follows:


  March8 – Alvin Grace Wilson and Elsia Bellia Wilt, both of Westernport Md.


  Henderson William Eacles of Cumberland and Lila Mildred Culp of Patterson’s Creek W Va.




  Mr. and Mrs. Chas F Herriott of Wapocoma were guests of F M Willison’s farm Fri until Mon.


  Mr. Eugene Reel moved from the lower Paris farm to an orchard near Romney.


  Mrs. F M Willison spent last Sat in Cumberland.


  Mr. and Mrs. J W Leatherman were guests at F M Willison’s last Sun.


  Wilbur Welch moved his family to the Twin Mt Orchard this week.


  The sick are all better at this writing.


  Mrs. J W Leatherman entertained the following ladies Wed:  Mrs. J W Ritchie, Mrs. B W Davis, Mrs. Nettie Smith, Mrs. Isaac Cox, Miss Ethel Smith and master Ruhlin Ritchie.





  All persons indebted to the estate of John Senn, deceased are hereby notified to come forward at once and make settlement.  Parties having accounts against the said John Senn, deceased, will please present them at once properly authenticated.

  W E Abe, Ad’r




  On Thurs March 11, 1915, it might have been said with equal truth, as in the days of David “Know ye not that there is a prince and a great man fallen this day in Israel?”
  About 10:20 o’clock, Thurs morning, the spirit of Mr. Wm C Clayton left us, but the afterglow of this life is as the exquisite tints of the sunset of a perfect day.  He was in his 85th year, having been born Jan 24th, 1831 in Hampshire Co.  He was a son of Dr Towsend and Mrs. Susan O’H Clayton (nee Heiskell).  His early education was the teaching of his father at home and the Academy at Romney.  Later he spent 2 years at the University of Va at Charlottesville, graduating in some of the separate classes.  After leaving the University he devoted a number of years to teaching in Amelia Co, Va, as principal of the Washington Academy at Georgetown DC, and at Charleston W VA.  He was admitted to the bar at Romney in 1859, and has practiced law ever since.

  He moved from Romney to Keyser (then called New Creek) in the winter of 1873, and has resided here since and was the oldest member of the Mineral Co Bar.

  During the years of 1875 to 1879, Mr. Clayton served in the State Senate from this District.  HE introduced and procured the passage of the bill incorporating the Independent School District of Keyser, and was a member of the School Commissioners who organized the school under that bill, and remained a member of that board several years.  He was twice married, but has been a widower for some years.  For many years he has been a member of the Presbyterian Church and an elder in that church.  He leaves one sister, Miss Emma Clayton who has been his companion since the death of his last wife, about ten years ago.

  Mr. Clayton belonged to that old school of Southern gentlemen who are becoming very scarce these latter days.  He was kind, simple-hearted, noble-minded, highly cultured, deeply pious – the very incarnation of the Christ-spirit.  M R Clayton was a lawyer of deep learning and whose opinion was highly valued.

  We, together with this whole community, feel a deep sense of personal bereavement in the death of this saintly man who was one of the few rare characters of the highest worth that one is privileged to meet in a life time.  There are no honors that earth could give that could have made him greater than he was, for true greatness, according to the divine standard, stamped itself upon his life.  Heaven will be richer and sweeter because of his presence.

  The funeral will take place tomorrow.  Services will be held at the Presbyterian church here at 9:45 o’clock, conducted by the pastor, Rev A N Perryman, after which the remains will be taken to the cemetery to Romney on train NO 6 for interment immediately after the arrival of the train there.

  Clerk J V Bell, Judge F M Reynolds, David Long, Wm MacDonald, T B Frye and J B Johnson will be honorary pallbearers.  The active pallbearers will be V F Alkire, J Z Terrell, B B Cavitt, T D Leps, P H Keys and W C Long.



MARCH 9, 1915


  J G Stewart has gone to his former home in Montana on a business trip.


  S E Alkire has sold his farm west of the Creek to the Hartman Brothers of Tunnelton.


  Dr Lantz has had electric lights put in his drug store and hall.


  Brush cuttings have been numerous in this section.


  The people are going to try to reduce the high cost of living be eating corn bread.


  There are several children sick in Alaska.


  Ward Newbanks has moved to Hampshire Co.


  Mrs. John Sneathnen, who has been very ill with pneumonia, is now convalescent.


  Chas Pyles and Miss Edna Offutt spent Sun at M L Waggoner’s.


  H L Weese was in Cumberland this week


  Henry Malone’s little girl, Irene, has been ill.


  Emily Smith has had a badly sprained ankle.


  R C Grace, C H Long and Samuel Sneathen appraised the personal property of the late John Senn lasts Wed. W E Abe is administrator and the sale will be March 19.


  The death angel visited our community recently, calling away the wife of Mr. John t Sneathen, who is so well known throughout this part of the country.

  Laura V Sneathen, nee Lewis, departed this life Feb 26, 1915, aged 72 years, 10 months and 24 days.  The funeral and burial were held at Frankfort on Sun, services being conducted by the Rev Lawson of the M E Church, South, of which church she had been a faithful member for 58 years. Mrs. Sneathen leaves to mourn their loss, besides her husband the following children:  Samuel and John and Mrs. Lemuel Oglesbee all of Alaska, one daughter, Mrs. Selma Wagoner, having died some years ago. There are also thirteen grandchildren and three brothers, Newton and Jeff Lewis of three Churches and W C Lewis of Keyser, besides a host of friends.  The pallbearers were C R Long, M M Malone, W J Emmart, E B Woolford, B H Ward and W E Abe.

  Having spent many years in this valley the number of people who attended the funeral showed in what high regard this estimable lady was held.  Truly “to live in hearts we leave behind is not to die”.





   Mrs. B R Sollars celebrated her 72nd birthday last Sun at her home on Mozelle St, by giving a sumptuous dinner.

  Among those who dropped by to offer congratulations and the splendid dinner with her were Rev R G Hammond and daughter Miss Lucile, Mr. and Mrs. S S Liller, Miss Rose Hambrick, Will Southerland, Mrs. W Sollars of F St and Mrs. J S Oats of Piedmont St the latter being her sister.  All enjoyed themselves and on leaving wished the hostess many returns of the happy event.

  In the evening, Mr. and Mrs. Alva Wolf and daughter, Miss Helen of Hambleton came down and spent the night with Mr. and Mrs. Sollars.




  Notwithstanding the very inclement weather and goodly number gathered at the Presbyterian manse last Fri. evening and enjoyed the delightful musicale given under the auspices of the Young Woman’s Guild.  The program was short, but every part was so well taken that the unanimous consensus was that it was just fine.

  Dainty refreshments were served. The offering amounted to over $12.00.


The program was as follows:
1  Chorus “Tulip and Rose”, Mrs. DeVries, Misses Kuykendall, Johnston, Allen, Spotts and Scribner, and Messrs Hodges and Sutton.

2        Solo, Miss Burnadett Scribner

3        3  Reading, Miss Virginia Perryman

4        4  Piano Duett, Misses Fetzer and Wonn

5        5   Solo, Mr. C P Sutton

6        6  Reading, Miss Helen spots

7        7  Solo, Miss Lou Allen

8        8  Reading, Mrs. DeVries

9        9 Ladies Quartette, Mrs. DeVries, Misses Allen, Johnston and Kuykendall.

10     Miss Fannie Leps was pianist


MARCH 19,1915





  Mr. Geo Ravenscroft visited his sister, Mrs. Nancy Faulk Sun.


  Bernard Liller moved from Westernport to the Moran orchard Mar 2.


  Lem Adams of Mt Zion, visited at J R Baker’s Sat.


  Mr. and Mrs. James Dayton, of Keyser visited at J J Triplet’s from Fri to Sun.



MARCH 10, 1915


  We are having unsettled weather here.  Most of the farmers are beginning to think there will not be much sugar making this year.


  There was preaching in the Alleghany church Sun.  Quite a few turned out.


  J M Hanlin made a trip to Gormania Mon.


  S C Hanlin of Scherr, was on the mountain Sat on his way to Gorman Md.


  Charlie Head of High View farm was in Maysville last week.


  Rev Earle Cosner returned home last week after being in Md for some time.


  Mace Amtower returned home after visiting relatives at Bayard for some time.


  Many of our schools close this week.  The Little Creek school closed Mon.


  Clarence Hanlin bought a house and a lot of 3 acres for $75 from Miss Mary Kimmell.  You may think this is a cheap bargain, but if you could see the house you would think different.


  Simple Simon




  Mrs. Mary Susan Shumaker (nee Arnold) wife of Jasper Shumaker of near this place, departed this life Feb 26, last of a tumor or cancer of the stomach.  Deceased was bedfast only about a week.  Funeral preached at Old Pine church, Sun the 28th by Rev Geo S Arnold of Beaver Run, assisted by the undertaker, Rev B W Smith of same place.

  Interment was in the Pine Church cemetery.  She was 67 years, 6 months, and 27 days of age and leaves to mourn their loss a husband and eight children, four sons, Frank of Illinois; Andy of Bayard; Louine of Thomas and Aaron of Richwood; four daughters, Mrs. Geo Meritt of near this place, Mrs. T T Stickley of Junction; Mrs. F C Smith of place and Miss Sallie Shumaker at home; one brother, David Arnold who has lived with them for a number of years, besides a host of relatives and friends.  Six of her grandsons were pallbearers, Frank, Roy, Andy and Ray Stickley, Louine, Merritt and Vernon Shumaker.  She was a member of the Church of the Brethren.  She was a kind, good woman, loved by all who knew her.  If she had an enemy no one knew it.  She will be greatly missed in this vicinity. Weep not, husband and children, your wife and mother has crossed the river to be with loved ones gone on before her sufferings over, she is now awaiting your coming.  Be ye also ready, for you know neither the day nor the house wherein the son of man cometh.






  Miss Mary Welton left Tues for a three weeks visit to Washington and other eastern cities.


  Ed Hines, who left here several years ago and has been in New Mexico, is back again on a visit.


  Mrs. R W Baker and son Robert, returned Tues from a visit to Clarksburg.


  Raymond Hill yesterday moved in the property of Mrs. M Susan Baker on Water St.


  The little daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Edgar Peters, who has pneumonia, is improving.


  Andrew M Vanmeter and Mrs. Rebecca J Shirk, both of Pansy were married here Wed in the parsonage by Rev S Thomas.


  The stork visited the M parsonage at Upper Tract on the 27th, leaving a fine little girl.  Mother & babe are doing nicely.


  Work is progressing nicely on the Siters Bros hotel and restaurant.  This will be quite looking building, three stores, electric lights, steam heat & baths.  Clarence Arbogast is the heating contract.




  Mrs. Sallie Stover has returned home form a visit to Indiana and other points.


  A R Hickle was in town on business Wed.


  F Haines was calling on F Brown one day last week.


  Perry P Brown was in Cumberland Thurs and Fri of last week.


  Misses Pearl Sheetz and Dorotha Gore were guests of Miss Ruth Carskadon Sat evening.


  A large number of the young people of this place attended the Spelling Bee at Eureka schoolhouse Sat evening.


  J E Tierney was the guest of A R Hickle Sun and was taking pictures.


  A R Hickle was calling on J Staggers Mon on business.


  Miss Bessie Brown was the guest of Mrs. J W Carskadon Mon.


  D M Leatherman was the guest of his sister, Mrs. Ida Liller Sun.


  Luther Harmison was calling on J W Carskadon Sun.


  Miss Tabitha Leatherman was calling on Sports Creek friends Sat and sun.


  Mr. and Mrs. Henry Robinett were calling on Mrs. Mary M Wilt Sun.


  Edgar McDonald attended the spelling bee at Keyser Tues evening.


  Mr. and Mrs. D B Bailey were calling at E W Bailey’s Sun afternoon.


  John Martin moved his family into G W Lease’s house Thurs.


  Mrs. Bion Harmison returned to Mt Lake Fri after spending a while with her mother who has been quite ill.


  Frank Pownell was calling at Wm McDonald’s Thurs.


  Misses Bertha Biser, Bertha and Maude Whipp were calling at J H Whipp’s Sun evening.


  Mr. and Mrs. James Sheetz, Mr. and Mrs. Devries and Miss Sue Johnson of Keyser were calling on friends at Headsville Sun.


  Ernest Hickle took a drove of cattle to Cumberland Mon for J W Carskadon.


  Mr. and Mrs. C W Fertig were calling at James Whipp’s Sun.


  Miss Pearl Sheetz returned home Sun evening after spending two weeks visiting friends and relatives here.




  A telegram Mon morning from Mt Solon Va to Mrs. G S Arnold announced the death of her mother, Aunt Betsy Glick.  She had bee feeble for many years and became critically ill a few days before her death.  She died in the 90th year of her age.  She was the oldest living granddaughter of Elder Daniel Arnold, one of three brothers and two sisters who migrated to this neighborhood from Frederick Co Md.  Their father emigrated from Germany and landed at Phildadelphia when it was in the infancy whence he migrated to Frederick Co Md. Not feeling well enough to make the trip, Mrs. Arnold has decided not to attend the funeral of her mother Wed.


  Mrs. Geo E Arnold, in Romney, is critically ill; has been poorly for some time.


  B W Smith was a north River over Sun to visit his sister, who has been ill for some time.


  At this time an agent is canvassing this neighborhood selling a new kind of lam.  It is said to be a good thing for light, but the price is an eye-opener as well as the brilliant light.


  Daniel Parker died Tues morning at the home of his brother, J W Parker, with whom he had made his home for the past few years.  Formerly he had lived in the west.  Age about 75 years.  He had been in ill health for some time.  Funeral Wed 2:30 at the house by G S Arnold. The deceased was a member of the Church of the Brethren. G S A





  Miss Margaret A Cleary, aged 26 years, died suddenly of heart failure on Mon morning at her home in Bloomington.  She is survived by her aged parents.  Mr. and Mrs. John P Cleary.  Her body will be brought to Piedmont at 11 o’clock tomorrow morning.  The funeral will follow immediately upon arrival of the train.


  Viola Wilt and Alvey Wilson were married Sun evening at the bride’s home in Westernport by the Rev William Harris.


  Mrs. M E Parks is critically ill at her home on Second Street with no hope of recovery.


  Wm Murphy of Keyser was here today.


  P M Spangler left yesterday morning for Pen Mar.


  E M Clomer spent the weekend with relatives in Romney.


  Miss Ella Kessler of near Baltimore is the guest of her sister, Mrs. Gocke here.


  Mrs. Harry Murphy of Huntington is the guest of her mother, Mrs. W S Smallwood, who continues very well with pneumonia.




  The engagement of Miss Alma Ray Mellor, daughter of William Mellor, to Tracey R Whitworth of Westernport has been announced.  The wedding will take place in the early spring.  Both parties are prominent in society circles.


  William Staley, foreman of the wreck crew on the Western Md Railway, was seriously hurt about the head while on duty.  He was taken to his home on the Keyser road, where he is now doing nicely.


  Mrs. Z T Kalbaugh left today to spend several days in Baltimore.


  A Spates Brady is on a business trip to Charlestown W Va.


  Mrs. G M Wilson and sons and Mrs. George Reckley of Bond spent yesterday here.


  Chas T Neff is visiting his son Leon who is a student at WVU in Morgantown.




  ON last Fri the P O S of A went in a body to the Green Mt School to raise a flag. About five of the older members took a notion to ride up in an automobile, but before they got to the top of the mountain they had to get out and push the car up the hill.

 ON arriving at the school house short talks were given by our President and others, William Kemp raised the flag.

  At night the spelling bee was held in which four or five of our High School graduates and one or two High School students were spelled down by the mountain people.  William Kemp, a thirteen-year-old boy proved to be one of their best spellers.



MARCH 26, 1915





   Noah Boyce called on T J Faulk Sun evening.


   Mr. and Mrs. John Faulk visited in Cumberland last week.


   Etta Riggleman visited in Cumberland last week.


   Mrs. I L Vanmeter of Dawson visited her daughter, Mrs. Grace Williamson a couple days last week.


   Miss Elva Adams visited her mother, Mrs. Kate Adams Sun.


   Thomas Faulk visited at J r Baker’s Sun.




  Wm S Leatherman, aged 81 years, 7 months and 27 days died about 7:45 o’clock on Fri morning, March 12th, 1915 at his home near Wilson schoolhouse on Limestone.  He had been sick for about a year, and a great sufferer from cancer, and was confined to his bed for four or five months before death relieved him.  He was born and reared near where he died and lived almost all of his life in this county.  His wife died about 23 years ago. Three sons and one daughter survive, vis:  Miss Savannah May Leatherman and Nimrod Leatherman who lived with their father; A T and Eugene Leatherman.

  The funeral took place on Sun morning at 10:30.  Services were conducted by Rev Mr. Neal, pastor of the U B charge, and burial was in the graveyard on the old home place on Cabin Run.




The Brethren organized Sun School in the Alleghany church Sun as follows:  Teacher of advanced class, Rev Earl Cosner; assistant Rev Newton Cosner; Teacher of juvenile class, T M Kitzmiller; assistant, Zina Cosner; Teacher of primary class, Mrs. A D Cosner; assistant, Mrs. T M Kitzmiller.  Superintendent Job Cosner; assistant, E M Cosner; Treasurer, T M Kitzmiller.


  Mrs. E H Hanlin spent Sun evening at J W Hanlin’s.


  Miss Minnie B Cosner and sister, Miss Nora R Cosner were visiting J M Hanlin Sun.


  W B Hanlin is learning photography.


  Willis Hanlin has purchased a typewriter (Little Giant) with which he is well pleased.


  Willis Hanlin, aged 14 years, while riding a 20-year-old mare to water was almost thrown off.  The mare had been in the barn for some time idle and took a notion to exercise herself by dancing, jumping and bucking.  Poor Willis was frightened almost to death, as when the mare stopped he was on her neck.  IF the mare had jumped once more he certainly would have been thrown off.  He ways “It was not very funny.”


  J L Moore, while climbing up a ladder into a stable mow, had a fall.  The ladder slipped and off poor John tipped and landed on his hip with no serious results.


  Frank S Jones whose death occurred March 4th at his residence on J L Moore’s farm, was taken to the “Baker Place”, Cherry Ridge, for interment, which took place on March 6th.  The throng of people who were present showed their admiration of this man whose life was plucked out in his 35th year.  How said!  He was just in his springtime, but life is just a phaeton rushing through the air only to leave the chariot empty; a bubble which gaily dances a moment upon the stream and sinks into nothingness.  It steals upon us like the dreams of he blessed and floats away upon its versioned pinions to the voiceless grave.  His smiling face will never return to us, yet we hope he is where the tempest frowns not and the skies are never clouded.  The hearts of this entire community go out to the loving and bereaved father, mother wife and son, left to mourn the loss of this propitious man.


Simple Simon





  Born, recently to Mr. and Mrs. Wm Harper of Durgon, a son


  Mrs. H L Gamble, who has been visiting in Ben bush, has returned home.


  Mrs. Parsons and son of Bunnison Iowa, who have been visiting Mr. and Mrs. Tom Williams, left Wed for Romney.


  Born to Mr. and Mrs. Sams Clower, this week a twelve pound son.  This young gentleman has been named Woodrow, in honor of our President.


  Geo R Lobb, who spent several weeks visiting relatives at Washington Pa, Has returned to his home here.


  Rev McCallie who spent a few days here last week, left Mon morning for his home in Tenn.  While here he made several interesting talks in the Presbyterian Church, which were greatly enjoyed by our people.




  In response to invitations al the members of the Now and Then Minstrels, all local men who recently put on a most enjoyable show at the Keyser opera House, met last Fri night in the Bachelor’s Hall.  A permanent organization was evected, with the object of the fraternizing at frequent intervals for social purposes.  Following the meeting a banquet was enjoyed in the Hamill Annex Lunch Room, in which 40 of the minstrel troupe participated.  After the banquet the following officers were elected by acclamation:  President, Andrew Woolf; Secretary, L M Bomberger; instructor, Taylor Morrison; Assistant, F Guy Davis; treasurer, D P Davis; stage manager, J E Patchett; musical director, J Harrison Isles; vice-president, C P Suton, John E Edwards of Cumberland, was elected a permanent honorary member.

Isle’s Saxophone Orchestra was elected as a permanent part of the minstrel.  “Hink” Vandiver was given the honor of being press agent.



March 21


  John Thos O’Neill, aged 67, a miner, died at his home here suddenly yesterday after an illness of a year.  Mr. O’Neil, though ill, was able to walk about and his condition was not considered serious.  He went to bed at one o’clock in the afternoon, and when called at six o’clock was found to have expired.  He leaves a wife and ten children residing here, besides 21 grandchildren, one of whom was born a few hours after his death to Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Taylor.  His surviving children are:  Mrs. Sarah McGoye, Mrs. Emma Coombs, Mrs. Martha Howard, Mrs. Wesley Taylor, Mrs. Kate Sharry, Clara, Rose Josephine, Richard and John O’Neil.


  Harry Lesley, aged 21, a former resident of this place where he was a student at the Piedmont High School, died at his home in Elkins W Va Sat.  He was a graduate of the Davis and Elkins College.  Death resulted from tuberculosis.  The body will be brought here tomorrow and taken to Martinsburg for interment beside his father.


  The first arrest under the new provision of the WV dry law was made here Sat when an Italian was arrested for carrying a suitcase containing two dozen bottles of beer without the required label on the outside.  Justice Baer fined him $100 and sixty days in jail.


March 22


  Samuel Moses died at Davis Thurs, aged 76.  His body was brought here Mon on the Western Md for Interment in Philos Cemetery.


  The funeral of Mrs. Winifred C McKinsey of Byrl, took place from St Peter’s Church Mon morning at 9 o’clock.  Her brother was buried here several months ago.


  Mrs. O Tibbetts and children who have been spending the winter in Duedin Fla, have returned to their home in Beryl.


  Mr. and Mrs. A B Clark and children of Luke, left Sun morning to visit Mr. Clark’s brother at Wilmington Del.


  Miss Frances Rock was a visitor to Keyser.


  George K Davis, of Baltimore is the guest of Rev Harris.




  The Paris school is still discontinued; we hope the teacher will soon be better.


  Rev Bryan preached his last sermon before conference at the Duling church last Sun.


  Mrs. Frank Smith spent Sun with home folks.


  Mrs. F M Willison and daughter, Miss Malita, were guests at Oak Lawn Farm last Sun.


  Mr. and Mrs. C K DeVries of Keyser, visited Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Rector last Sun.


  Liss Hoffman and Haven Arnold have rented a farm near Cumberland and moved down last week.


  Frank smith is improving his house with a porch.  Messrs Clemm and Harrison are the architects.


  Mrs. Ed C Smith and Mrs. J E Batdorff and daughter, Miss Frances, of Mt View farm, were guests of Mrs. J W Leatherman Wed.


  Sam Stewart delivered the pair of Percheron horses to Mr. McDonald at Pittsburgh last week.


  Ed C Smith visited his mother on Limestone last Sun.


  Mrs. J W Leatherman was calling on Mrs. B W Davis Mon afternoon.


  Dave Kesner of Keyser is putting up an up-to-date concrete cave at his Mt View Farm.  He has improved the farm with a new five room bungalow, large poultry house, granary and corn crib, hog houses, etc, which adds to the appearance very much.


  Mrs. Nettie Smith and daughter, Miss Ethel, were visiting a B W Davis’ Sun evening.


  Miss Rose Judy was called to her home near Petersburg last of the week by the serious illness of her mother.


  Mrs. Warren Harr and two children of Keyser, who were called here by the illness of her mother, Mrs. Katheryn Degler, returned home first of the week.  Mrs. Degler who is in the hospital, continues quite ill.


  A R McNeill of Moorefield was the guest of Dr A P Butt yesterday.  This was his fist visit to Davis since 28 years ago.  At that time Davis had one street and that was along the railroad.  He was delighted to see the big thriving town of today.  Mr. McNeill is a brother in law to Mr. Wilson, the owner of the first tannery in Davis.  He owns the famous Willow Wall Poultry Farm at Old Fields, Hardy Co.  The day before he came to Davis he gathered fifteen hundred eggs and it was not a good day for eggs, either.   He has three thousand laying hens, all white.  – Davis News of 18th.




  The McNeill Chapter U D C Will meet Sat afternoon, March 27th, promptly at three o’clock at the home of Mrs. S H Jordan.  A full attendance is requested.

  Mrs. H A Sliger, Pres

  Miss Maria Vass Frye, Sec




  The Young Woman’s Guild of the Presbyterian church was very pleasantly entertained last Mon evening at her home, the Reynolds Hotel, by the retiring president, Mrs. C K DeVries.  A delightful little program was rendered consisting of vocal and instrumental music, recitations, etc.  The hostess served refreshments.




  Mrs. S J Daughtery, aged 79 years, died Sat morning, March 20, 1915 at 12:20 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J T Crawford, on Piedmont Street, after an illness lasting but a few days.

  Mrs. Daugherty has made her home with Mrs. Crawford for the past 17 years.  She has three sons living, George of Dayton Ohio, Hiram and William of Maysville Ky.  Mr. and Mrs. Crawford left Mon with the remains for her former home at Maysville Ky, where the burial took place.




J E Gardner of our city, has taken the agency for the Monumental Bronze Co of Bridgeport Conn for this territory, and his advertisement will appear in this paper next week.  He has made arrangement to have a sample headstone on exhibition at the S&T Hardware Co store in a few days and the people are invited to call there and see it.  The white bronze monuments are better than marble or stone, more durable and much cheaper.




  The infant son (but a few days old) of Mr. and Mrs. B V Hood died March 7th, at their home at Acosta Pa.

  Mrs. Olie Reel, died at he home of her sister, Mrs. SM Reel, at Arthur on March 16th after a long illness of tuberculosis.

  Charlestown WV, March 24.  The Rev Edward L Wilson, 68 years old, a retired Presbyterian minister, died today at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Robert Morrison at Luray Va.

  Winchester Va 0 Miss Annie McCord, aged 89 years, died Tues.  She was engaged in the millinery business many years.  One sister Miss Mattie McCord, of this city survives.


Harrisonburg Va, March 22  A M Spitzer, about 65 years old, a farmer near Md, Rockingham Co, shot his wife to death today and then committed suicide at their home, 10 miles north of Harrisonburg


  Mrs. Charlotte Bane, widow of the late Samuel Bane, was found dead in bed yesterday morning.  She had awakened about 3 o’clock and talked to members of the family and then apparently went to sleep.  Later when one of the family went to her bedside she was dead.  Mrs. Bane leaves five daughters, one being Mrs. S M Bright and another Mrs. Clemm.


  J E McKenzie aged 82 years, died March 22, 1915.  He had been a resident of this place for a long time and being a widower, made his home with his son Burr.  The funeral took place on Wed.  Services were conducted by Rev H Havenner.  Interment in Queen’s Point Cemetery.  He leaves four sons, A B of Keyser, J W of Chicago Junction; C W of Piedmont and H R McKenzie of Gormania.


  Beverly, March 22 – Mrs. Susan Suiter, aged 75 years, who lived alone on Main St here, was burned to death early this morning, when flames destroyed her home.  Her charred body was found by persons who entered the ruins of the building.

  The body was in the dining room of the home, where neighbors say, Mrs. Suiter was accustomed to read every night, and it is thought that the aged woman was filling an oil lamp, which exploded causing the fire.  The building was totally destroyed.


  George W Little, 73 years old, master carpenter for the Western Md railway, died at 7 o’clock yesterday morning at his home, 1 Harbaugh Alley, after a brief illness.  His wife died in Cumberland 5 years ago.  Mr. Little’s only surviving relatives in Cumberland are the following nephews and nieces:  Mrs. John Wickersheim, Miss Edith Dorn, John R Dorn and Eldridge M Dorn.  He was a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles of Elkins WV; Knights of Pythias of Williamport Md and Junior Order United American Mechanics No 83 of this city.  The body will be taken to his late home in Elkins W V Tues Afternoon, where interment will be made Wed in charge of the Fraternal Order of Eagles. – Cumb News, 22nd




  Last Tues evening, Mrs. W E Woolf gave a very pleasant dinner at her home, “Buxton Terrace” in honor of Miss Lorna Lester,. Whose 16th birthday came on that day.  Miss Lester is from New Mexico and is a schoolmate of Mrs. Woolf’s daughters and accompanied them home for the Easter vacation.  Quite a number of young folks were present and at seven forty five, when the curtains were withdrawn and the guests took their places around the table, a most inspiring scene was presented.  The tables were beautifully decorated, the color scheme being yellow.  At each place there was a silver bud holder with yellow jonquil in it.  The place cards were little yellow umbrellas.  During the evening Prof McIlwee played numerous selections, the whole party joined in on all choruses.  The main feature of the evening was the cutting of the birthday cake by Miss Lester, and everyone tried their luck at getting the ring.  After dinner Miss Lester delighted the guests with selections on the violin.  Messrs Andrew Woolf, Marshall Carrier and Ezra Shaeffer entertained the guests by singing several songs.

  Those present besides Mrs. Woolf and daughters and their guest of honor were Misses Pauline Gelwicks, Ruth Gerstell, Francis Kinsey, Mary Vossler, and Miss Wilson, of Pocomoke Md; Messrs L F Sawyer, Claudius Terrell, Marshall Carrier, H E Shaffer, Godfrey Ast, W R Davis, W B and Andrew Woolf and Bernard Markwood.




  A very distressing accident occurred last sun afternoon at the ash pit, near the B&O round house, in which Charles Chilcott, the 14 year old son of C M Chilcott, was disfigured for life.  The boy was swinging on the ash elevator, when his hands were caught in the cogs and four fingers on the right and three on the left hand were ground off.  He was taken to the hospital, where surgical aid was given.





  It is rumored here that the B&O is throwing the old steel cars off the tracks in Piedmont yards preparatory to exchanging these cars for new ones, giving three for one, claiming that it is cheaper to do this than to have them rebuilt at the car shops at Keyser.  The company has derailed about 200 cars in the Piedmont yards up to the present time.


  Mrs. Lena Abernathy, wife of Louis Abernathy, of Spence St, died at the residence of Mr. Abernathy’s parents on Mon night at 10:30.  Death was due to typhoid fever.  She leaves a husband and four children, Thelma, Leola, Josephine and Katherine, also an aged mother and several brothers and sisters.  Mrs. Abernathy prior to her marriage was Lena Dunk, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Dunk of Walnut St.


  At the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln Wilt of Westernport Hill on Sun, March 14, Miss Elsie Bell and Mr. Alvin Wilson were married.




  F C Helmick, who hails from Fairmont, is behind the barring of the jail here awaiting the naming of the next grand jury charge of forgery.  Last Sat he present a T M check for $33.50 at the F&M Bank.  It was made out in the name of I Conley and had Manager Russell’s name signed on it.  Cashier Geo R Davis detected the forgery of Mr. Russel’s name at once and after refusing payment called him over the phone and told him of the occurrence.  Mr.  Russell notified the officers, and with his usual promptness, Chief F G Davis soon had Mr. Helmick in charge.  On being arraigned before Squire Doyle, Helmick confessed to the forgery, but claimed that he found the check among some old paper in an alley and produced some rather disreputable looking paper, which he said the check was with.  On being questioned he admitted having entered the T M & P office at the noon hour (the door not being locked) and taking the number of checks.  He also stated that another man was with him, but the other man has not been found.