KEYSER TELEGRAPH SUPPLY CO


  MANUFACTURERS OF PINS, BRACKETS AND CROSSARMS
R E MCQUAY, MANAGER

  Wherever and whenever a want has been created in any branch of business or department of human effort there has invariably been found some one capable of satisfying it. A short time ago, Mr R E McQuay came to the conclusion that there was a demand for telegraph and telephone brackets, pins and crossarms, and that the establishment of a factory for their manufacture would prove a profitable and satisfactory investment. The result of this reasoning was the forming of the Keyser Telegraph Supply co, which began operations May 1st. To pluck, energy and business foresight, more than to capital, may be attributed the founding of this enterprise, for the total capital stock was only $500, which was subscribed by Mr McQuay and a few friends.
  The perfect judgment exercised is evidenced by the fact that the little factory is running night and day, with orders booked ahead aggregating 155,000 pis alone. The output includes: white oak telephone brackets, locust and oak telephone and telegraph pins or thimbles and oak and pie telegraph and telephone cross-arms.
  These products are supplied painted or unpainted, and are meeting with a heavy sale. In fact, the success attained has fully realized Mr McQuay's expectations. Orders have been filled an new orders received from such concerns as the General Electric Company, (?Schenetady), NY, E J Nobelett, Chicago Ill; the Gran* V**ock and woodworking Factories, Oswego, NY, aside from the local orders placed by J C Fredlock, manager of the Piedmont Electric Light Plant, and from the Gordon Telephone Company of Piedmont. Two of these orders reached 65,000 pins each, another was for 35,000.
  The capacity of the plant, (which is run night and day), with its present equipment is from 4,500 to 6,000 pieces every twenty four hours, including the men engaged in getting out the timber a force of twenty hands is employed in the operation of concern. New machinery is about to be installed, which will double the output, and enable shipment to be made more promptly.
  The manager of the Keyser Telegraph Supply co, Mr R E McQuay, is a lumberman in the manor born. Incidentally, he is a hustler, also, and during his residence in Keyser has become impressed with the possibilities of this section. As a result, all of his interests are centered here.
  Born in Easton, Md, he entered the employ of the Tunis Lumber Co, as a planning mill boy, and step by step rose finally to the superintendency of this mammoth plant, one of the largest in the United States. The Tunis Lumber companies handles an average of 10,000,000 feet annually. On sever*** connection with this company, Mr McQuary entered the Baltimore postoffice, where he remained during the first administration of president Cleveland. He afterward moved to Rowlesburg, W Va, and subsequently to Buckhannon, where he resided for five years.
  In 1877, Mr McQuay married Miss Mary Briscoe, of Baltimore, three children resulting from the union - a son Chas A (now a bookkeeper for and a stockholder in the Keyser Tel. Supply co.) and two daughters. In September, 1896, Mr McQuay removed to Keyser engaging extensively in the lumber brokerage business, which he still continues. His 22 years active experience in the business have given him a perfect insight into its every detail. Last year he bought an shipped over 300,000 feet of walnut, white and red oak and popular lumber principally through the Alton Lumber and Coal Co, of Buckhannon, to Eastern markets, Liverpool and Germany. This years shipment will probably aggregate 1,000,000 ft. Only selected umber, suitable for wagon, plant, furniture and house-finishing work is handled, all purchases being made for cash. Timber is bought within a radius of 50 miles of Keyser. Mr McQuay is a member of Lodge No 54, K of P, at Buckhannon.
  During the season at Mountain Lake Park, on the crest of the Alleghenies, the Fallen cottage is open to a desirable class of boarders. The resort is 25 miles west of Keyser, and its location is an exceedingly fine one. good fishing is a feature. Mrs McQuay, the hostess, has a happy faculty of making her guests, who sometimes number 50 or more, thoroughly enjoy their stay.

TRANSCRIBED OCTOBER 28, 2001 BY PATTI MCDONALD

RETURN TO KEYSER TRIBUNE JULY 1898
RETURN TO MINCO NEWS
RETURN TO MINERAL