MON, JULY 6, 1914


Regardless of the very inclement weather the picnic at Burlington was much enjoyed by almost everyone who was there. In the forenoon there was no indication of a storm and the people roamed over the pretty fields in the true spirit of happiness. About noon baskets of good things were turned over to the ladies and a spread fit for the gods was laid out before the hungry picnicers, and if there had been nothing else to enjoy during the day, this part of it alone would have amply repaid all those who received a wetting. After lunch the band started to give a concert but had scarcely begun to play when the terrific rain and hail storm broke loose, and continued most of the afternoon. The majority of the people sought shelter under the old covered bridge, but the band and several others, including a number of ladies, remained in the refreshment tent and refreshments were saved. The railroad officials ran two special trains from Burlington to accommodate the ones who were anxious to get home. Most of all it is to be regretted that the rain prevented a baseball game among members of the band, which was to have been played between the brass and reed sections. It has been reported to The News that the brass boys were tickled when it rained. The game will be played at a later date. Perhaps on the Prep grounds.


The funeral of Mr John Robert Carskadon, who died early Friday morning, was preached Sunday morning by Rev Franck Havenner of the ME church. A brief service was held at the home in Keyser and later the remains were taken to Headsville, where final services were conducted in the church at that place, after which the body was laid to rest in the Headsville cemetery. Owing to the high esteem in which the deceased was held by the entire community, the funeral was a very large one and many people from Keyser and other towns went over to Headsville to pay a last tribute to this splendid old man. The pall-bearers were: Honorary, J B O Clem, Dr Dick Gerstell, V F Alkire, F M Reynolds, Dave Long and W C Clayton. Active, J B Fetzer, L T Carskadon, Hacket Carskadon, Fred Carskadon, Frank Babb and George T Carskadon.


Cumberland—The passenger engine that brought in the Baltimore excursion train last midnight on the B&O road was derailed at a point below Thomas street, as the engine was backing down the freight tracks to the shops, by running over the badly mutilated remains of a man thought to have been Howard L Bitner, of Keyser, a brakeman in the employ of the road. It was thought he was hit and killed by a freight train which threw the body on the eastbound track. The remains were badly mangled, beyond identification, but on the clothing was found a Hamilton railroad watch on the case of which was inscribed “Mother to H L B.” On his cuffs were the initials L B and a label on his clothing carried the name Bitner. The remains were brought to Butler’s morgue, and it was ascertained that young Bitner aged about 19 years, had secured permission to come to Cumberland, but was to return to Keyser on train No 1 last night to go out with his crew as brakeman on a run. When the call came for him it was found out he did not return home. In his clothes was found a switch key and a caboose key. Becoming frightened when the engine which was derailed by the body of Bitner left the track, Fireman W Cox, of Martinsburg, jumped from the engine and fell on his back, sustaining painful bruises about the body. His injuries are not serious. He was taken to the hospital.—The remains were brought here on 55 today and the funeral will take place Wednesday morning at 10:00 o’clock.



While on their way from Petersburg to Cumberland in a Hupmobile, driven by the owner, Mr Walter Borror, he and four companions were injured when the car missed the bridge, this side of Frankfort, at 5 o’clock Saturday morning, and went over an embankment into the bed of Turner Run, the machine turning over twice in going down. They had left Petersburg Friday midnight, and when they reached a sharp turn at the bridge the car was not turned sharp enough to go over the bridge and leaped over the embankment. Three of the occupants, Walter Borror, Roy Walton and Paul Robinson went down with the machine and sustained bad injuries, while John H Fultz and his son, Archie, were thrown out of the car into the bushes and received only slight bruises. Borror, aged 30 years, had two ribs broken and is thought to be internally injured. Roy Walton went head first through the windshield and had his face, breast and arms badly cut. Paul Robinson sustained a broken collarbone. The car was almost completely wrecked. Dr Percival Lantz, of Frankfort, was summoned and after administering first aid to the injured, took the men to the Western Maryland Hospital, Cumberland, in his car. Walton and Robinson were able to leave for their homes, but Borror will remain at the hospital. They were on their way to Cumberland to spend the fourth.



One day last week workmen on Water street, loosening stone from the quarry wall for road bed, after blasting out a large granite block, deep back in the massive formations, and about midway between the base and the surface, ten or more feet from either extreme, discovered a distinct jawbone, or a part of the bone, in which are several teeth still firmly planted. Close by was a smaller part that had been severed from the other portion. To the unpracticed eye this strange discovery, near the size of a large finger, bears the appearance of the human bone and teeth that may have been so protected from the influence of air and weather as to preserve its originality through the decay of ages, under a stone roofing coated by the moss and accumulations of a time beyond conjecture. From where did it come, and how was it thus imprisoned in stone, are mysteries asking solution.


That section from Headsville south to Twin Mountain was visited by a damaging hail storm on Saturday afternoon. Hundreds of people were out picnicing in that section and said the hail was larger than a hulled walnut. It was so large that it cut through the top of wagons. Much damage was done to vegetation, corn was trimmed of its blades, and some fruit was damaged, but fortunately it did not reach the Knobley Mountain orchards.


The Young Women’s Auxiliary will meet tonight at the parsonage with Mrs M H Keen. It is the desire that all members will attend.


The Fourth was a quiet day in this city most all the population were out of the city, some of them went to other towns and a vast crowd went to the big picnic that was given by the K of P Lodge at Burlington. The Keyser Band went over with them and furnished the music for the occasion.




John O Schenk, Wheeling’s richest man, who secured a divorce from his wife, Laura Farnsworth Schenk, following her sensational trial on a charge of attempting to kill him by the insidious administration of poison, was married yesterday to Miss Grace E Fendt, a pretty school teacher. Schenk is 52 and his bride is 32.


Monday’s Big Bargain night—Four Feature Films. 5c to all.


The Sunday School of Janes M E Church observed Childrens Day with the rendering of a Juvenile Cantata last night. Quite a large number attended including many white folks. The exercises were pronounced to be the best that were ever held in that church. Rev J H E Carter is the pastor and Alex Redmond is the superintendent.


Mr H L Wendel and Mrs John Cundliff, of Baltimore, are visiting Mr and Mrs W E Mellor.


The Fourth of July was very quietly observed in the tri-towns. There was not any public observance of the day. The Luke Band dispensed sweet music on the morning that day. There was no street parade, but many private picnics and a large number of auto parties. The people were generally well behaved but few cases of plain drunks recorded. The stores and banks all observed the holiday. The Piedmont post office is now open to the public from 7:30 o’clock in the morning until 8 o’clock in the evening on week days. The office was formerly closed at 7:30 in the evening.


Mrs J Forsythe Harrison will entertain at auction bridge whist this coming week.


Stanley H Kenny has left for his new home in the state of North Carolina, where he will engage in the life insurance business.


Mr and Mrs S L Dunn have again taken up their residence in Piedmont and will shortly occupy their own residence on Erin street.


James Michaels of near Cross, in this county, was fined the sum of $25 and costs for assault and battery.


Dr and Mrs Robert E Kimmell—“newly weds” are expected home this week and will occupy a flat on Main street.


In the case of Larry Albanse versus the B&O railroad, for $300 damage for a spoiled car load of fruit, judgement was rendered in favor of the plaintiff for amount sued for and cost. Atty F C Reynolds appeared for the defendant and Atty W H Griffith for the plaintiff.


Town Sergeant Stotler and Policeman Dorner arrested a post office robber in Westernport Friday night. He had broken into the post office at Montrose, W Va, and robbed it of several dollars in cash and stamps, also the store in which the post office was located. He was a colored man named John Scott from Columbus, Ohio, and was on a visit to relatives in Piedmont. He was taken to Kingwood, W Va, for the action of the next US grand jury, Saturday.


Mr and Mrs Henry Hook, engineer, being a delegate to the B&O Relief Convention recently held in Cincinnati have returned home.


Miss Loretta Martin of Westernport, has returned from the annual state convention of teachers of Maryland held at Ocean City.


District Supt of Schools, Mr D C Arnold, of Elk Garden, was a recent tri towns visitor.


Miss Nora Wamsley died at the Hoffman Hospital, Keyser, July 2. She was 22 years of age and was born and reared in Garrett county, Maryland, but was clerking in the store of C T Neff when taken sick with typhoid fever. She had had two innoculations as a preventive of typhoid fever when taken ill. She was a lovable young lady and had made many friends in the tri-towns. Her funeral took place Sunday at her former home in Oakland.


Mt Calvary Sunday School of the Lutheran church, Westernport, will hold annual childrens day services next Sunday.


Born, unto Mr and Mrs A F Hawkins on Sunday, a daughter, weight ten pounds.


The dance under the auspices of the St Peter Alumni Association given on Friday evening at St Peters Hall on Riverside driveway was a success in every point of view.


Miss Maggie Jameson, aged 81 years, is ill at the residence of her sister, Mrs E J Fredlock, on Jones street.



Subscribe for the News.

APRIL 6, 2004