AN ATTRACTIVE STORE
STOCKED TO REPLETION WITH JEWELRY AND MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS
This mammoth jewelry establishment is the outgrowth of a
little store founded by Mr P H Nefflen eighteen years ago, which was
located on the site now occupied by Carskadon & Reynolds' grocery
store. Until 1887 the business was conducted by Mr Nefflen at that
location, and when he did move it was to occupy the corner store in
the magnificent brick building, which he erected the year before.
The comprehensive jewelry stock covers in detail practically everything known to the trade, and is one of the finest and most widely diversified to be found in this entire section. A bewildering display of watches, rings, jewelry novelties, plated and sterling silverware, etc., is arranged in handsome glass cases and much of the stock carried, including both loose and mounted diamonds and precious stones is seldom handled by any jeweler outside of the largest cities. The repair department in connection is under Mr Nefflen's personal supervision, a fact of itself a guarantee of the high-class of work done. The people of this community have always evinced musical tastes, and of late years a large demand has been created for tine musical instruments. Mr Nefflen has observed the drift of public opinion in this matter, and in consequence, handles none but the best makes of pianos and organs. Story & Clark and Wilcox & White, organ manufacturers have acquired a national reputation for the excellency of their products, and in the piano world no firm names stand higher than that of Vose & sons and the Weaver Organ & Piano Co. In Mr Nefflen is vested the local agency for these instruments. It is peculiarly fitting that a leading business should be housed in an attractive building, and one of the most enticing store exteriors in Keyser is presented in the permanent home of this prominent business. A leading Cleveland O architect drew the plans and in the construction of the building no expense was spared to make it not only substantial, but complete in every detail. It covers a ground space 43X53 feet, and is two stories, the ceilings being 12 and 13 feet in height. The upper floor was originally designed for lodge purposes, and until recently was the meeting place of five or six fraternal orders. this spring, Mr Nefflen decided to devote this floor to offices for rental purposes, cutting it up into six large and well lighted rooms. The location of the building, corner of Main and Armstrong Streets, makes these offices unusually desirable for the requirements of professional men and their occupancy when in readiness is assured. Work has so far progressed on the remodeling that a fair idea of their completed appearance and convenience can be obtained by an inspection. In fact, one of the (can read) is occupied by the Gordon Telephone Company. the entire building is lighted by electricity, and the heating and ventilating facilities are perfect.
Mr P H Nefflen was born and raised in Piedmont. His father, Mr Emil Nefflen, is the oldest merchant in Piedmont and Westernport, beginning business there in 1854, as a general dealer in hardware, edged tools, mechanics' supplies, and household utensils. A native of Wurternburg, Germany, he came to this country in 1848, having been in business in Clarksburg and Cumberland before removing to Piedmont. Mr John Nefflen, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was a prominent German jurist, and an author of several very valuable works. Mr P H Nefflen received a thorough education, attending, after finishing his apprenticeship as a watchmaker and jeweler, the West Virginia University at Morgantown for two years. His first business training was gained in his father's store, which he left to engage in the jewelry business in Keyser in 1880. In 1897, Mr Nefflen in association with Mr C T Rogers, who at one time had been in Mr Nefflen's employ, established a jewelry store at South Cumberland, Md, where the railroad shops, formerly of Keyser, are now located. This business is managed by Mr. Rogers.
Aside from his jewelry interests, Mr Nefflen writes policies in the Etna and Hartford fire insurance companies, is local treasurer of the Baltimore Building and Loan Association, and one of the receivers of the West Virginia Building Co. He is a member of both the Masonic and Knights of Pythias orders. In October 18**, he was married to Miss Carrie Ewald, a popular young lady of Mt Savage, MD, and is pardonably proud of the handsome boy who has blest that union. Mr Nefflen is a public spirited citizen, who in advancing his own interests has aided in the upbuilding of his home town, and he takes a decided interest in all that pertains to Keyser's growth and advancement.
TRANSCRIBED OCTOBER 26, 2001 BY PATTI MCDONALD
RETURN TO KEYSER
TRIBUNE JULY 1898
RETURN TO MINCO NEWS
RETURN TO MINERAL