Courthouse records show in August 1867 the Board of
Education purchased one acre of land from Jacob & Nancy (Duling)
Knavenshue for a school. This building was probably situated between
the church and the Turner home, near the road.
Another school, know as the Wilson School stood atop Abrams Ridge, not far as the bird flies, from the above mentioned school near the Duling Church. The Wilson school is still standing along the road leading from Limestone to the Cut Off Road via the Hooker Hollow Road near Crestwood Development.
It is known Mr. Thomas C. Dye, a local merchant in teh 1800's had a private school in New Creek for his own children and anyone who cared to enroll their children had to pay tuition.
The Harrison Gap School was located on the south side of Rte 50 1/2 mile east of the New Creek Bridge. Records show on 11-12-1879, the Board of Education purchased one acre from Elizabeth Harrison for this school.
The New Creek School on the hill was probably established in 1892. There is a record showing James B. Rees sold the school board one acre near the Rees Tannery, Nov. 3 of that year.
It is known in 1934 the Claysville and Stony Run Schools were torn down and the lumber used for building the "new school" at New Creek which was torn down in 1975 -76, following the construction of the modern classrooms.
The Sunnyside School stood on the north side of Rte 50 in a corner of the Sunnyside Church parking lot today. Records show it was on 7-21-1902, one acre ws obtained from I. Frank Roberts, bordering the Vause Ellifritz property on what was formerly Harrison land for the Sunnyside School.
The Stony Run School sat on a bank nearby the ridge where the old New Creek Drive Road joins the new one.
The Paris School dates back to the 1880's at least,
if not before. It is known the timber for this frame building with
German siding was sawed at the Caldwell Mill located below the
present day Spencer's Bridge, across from the Charlie Staggs home.
The Paris School was used as a training school for teachers from the Prep School (PSC). Also during the terms taught by the late Luke McDowell, he introduced manual training in the carpentry trade.
School was discontinued here soon after the New Creek Valley schools were consolidated in 1933-34.
This information was taken from "Mineral County West Virginia Traits Tracks and Trails. Special thanks to Betty Bane Dzubba, Author and Robert Rummer, Editor for granting us permission to use this information on the Mineral County WV USGenWeb site.