NEW CREEK HOMES
Probably the oldest house on Cut Off Road is the
home of Miss Myrtle Miller, partially destroyed by fire in 1975. This
log structure with a 1799 date on the chimney is surely one of the
oldest standing log houses in Mineral County. It was originally a six
room log dwelling paneled with natural pine from virgin logs about a
The William Duling family settled here in the 1790's and it was from the Duling family the nearby church received its name.
The David Lyon residence, now owned by Gary Markle dates back to the middle or late 1800's. Jacob Knavenshue who married one of the Duling daughters built this house which originally was of logs. Over the years it has been remodeled and built onto so that even though the house standing today is on the original site, its various parts have replaced the original.
The Staggs family homeplace was the old log house on land owned by Emory Hines on the Hooker Hollow Road just off the Cut Off Road. The home where the Hines family lives today was built later by the Staggs family but is also one of the older ones along the Cut Off.
The Knawenshue property was on the Hershey Hollow Road. An old stone chimney near the Luther Holloway house indicates the location of the homestead.
The Duncan family homeplace was the old log house on land owned by the Hershey family and near the site of the dam located near the Rainbow Store. This house no longer stands but a Duncan family cemetery remains nearby.
Stonewall Manor is a section of the 800 acre Knobly Farm owned by Rev. Jack Sanders, the 7th generation descendent of Michael and Abigail Miller, original owners of the property. The original tract contained 1500 acres with the home being built in 1778 atop Knobley Mt. at the intersection of Rte 50 & Cut Off Road. This Arnold home was destroyed by fire in 1954.
During the Civil War, Knobley Farm had some interesting visitors. Union General Lewis Wallace who was escorting a Union Army wagon train westward stopped at the farm overnight. Also a confederate general camped on the farm while on a forced march to Keyser. On another occasion Confederate Capt. Jesse McNeill of the McNeill's Raiders fame stopped by seeking a guide.
The houses including the Robert Bane home, J.E.Snyder, Jim Staggs, Clara Staggs, John Crawford, Albert Staggs and John Hershey were built before 1930. The remainder have been built over the years since.
Less than 25 houses stood between the limits of the
village of New Creek and the city limits of Keyser around 1900-1910.
The Huntly HOFFMAN property, purchased by Dr. Charles Hoffman, founder of the Hoffman Hospital in Keyser, and later the home of his son Huntly. There was a small home that Donald Schwinabart has since enlarged and remodeled standing when Dr. Hoffman purchased the land. Between 1927-1930, Mr. & Mrs. Huntly Hoffman built the home where Edna Harmon resides.
The Charlie SHUMAKER far was reached by a road in from the New Creek Fire Hall over the Hoffman property.
Tom & Ethel ASHBY lived in the log house near the site of the Tichnell home. The flood of 1912 almost washed this house away. The flood waters sort of turned it around on its foundation.
Blind HUMPHREY lived in the old Tichnell home where Goldie Swick now lives. The Tichnells moved into this community in the 1930's.
The Zack ARNOLD homeplace or the John Saylor ARNOLD land. Today known as Great Oak Valley Farm, a housing development started in the 1960's covers much of this land today.
The Charlie and Mary SHOEMAKER home where Lola Ravenscraft lives today was the next home.
The John Sloan ARNOLD home probably dates back before 1900, at least the original rooms. Around 1910, the Arnolds purchased the home and 200 acres of land which included the area known locally as Deer Haven, today covered with homes. It bordered near the John Bruckey home and was a 15 - 19 acre field of alfalfa, one of the first such fields in Mineral County. 40 - 50 deer could be see spotted grazing in the alfalfa thus the name, Deer Haven.
The Arnold barn destroyed by fire in the 1950's had an interesting history. Some of the logs used in the building came from the original Duling church. Also, this barn was used as an outpost during the Civil War for the fort in Keyser. There were guards posted along the New Creek to Keyser road.
Old Log House near the present day Blue Jay (Sampsons), area residents recall there was an old log house, around the turn of the century which was built by the Arnold family in 1923. It no longer stands.
The PARIS home or the Nelson Wagoner residence today was probably built before the Civil War. Bricks for this home were burned from clay taken from pits below and behind the house. The indentations in the earth surface are slightly visible yet.
The TRENUM home today, but it is believed families by name of BUTLER and MURPHY lived there around 1910.
George W. LEATHERMAN, a Brethren preacher moved into this area from Burlington in 1885 and lived in the house better known as the Newton Miller or Cletus Miller home.
The Warner LEATHERMAN home, son of Rev. G.W. Leatherman, now the home of Mrs. Carrie Root.
The KESECKER house is probably the oldest house in New Creek Valley, build substantially of thick stone walls, it is unclear who constructed this dwelling, but it is know for the Grant HARMON family lived there in the 1920's - 1930's.
The Charlie STAGGS and Will SMITH homes were the next ones, located near the present day Wimers bridge.
The CALDWILL MILL operated by Billy CALDWELL set across from the newer little home below the Charlie Staggs house. A few rocks along the Creek mark the site of the old Billy Caldwell home and mill.
The brick house at Heck's (84 Lumber) belonged to Mary INSKEEP and William PARIS, also the Isaac COX family. Jim STEWARD and George AMTOWER family live there thru the years. The land was divided into several plots, including where the Potomac Motel now stands and Hecks Dept.Store (Quality Farm & Fleet).
The Saloon and Store set on the bank on the ridge where the old New Creek Drive joins the new road. The Stony Run School also sat on the bank nearby, near the Sherman Switzer home.
The Oscar WILTISON log house across the Creek was reached by a swinging foot bridge. This was purchased years ago by Ervin Bane.
The Morgan BANE or Ervin Bane house was built around 1900.
The Edgar or Justin ARNOLD land was also the site of a log house near the location of the present day home.
The George EAGLE family lived in on the property where the Mineral County Health Center is now located. The old Eagle home was torn down after the county acquired the land.
The Buck LILLER or Stanley FINK house was located between the Middle School and the Vocational Tech. center. Mr. & Mrs. William JONES bought this house from Buck
Liller which they in turn sold to the Stanley Finks in 1942. The Finks sold it to the Board of Education in 1966 and it was torn down in 1977.
New Creek Drive was known at one time as the Hardy Turnpike and the Buck Liller house was the last toll gate on the turnpike before entering Keyser.
This information was taken from "Mineral County West Virginia Traits Tracks And Trails". Special thanks to Betty Band Dzubba, Author and Robert Rummer, Editor for granting permission to use this information on the Mineral County US GenWeb Site.