POTOMAC STATE COLLEGE

Chartered 15 Feb 1901, as Keyser Preparatory Branch of WV University. This was the first step in higher education and has grown from a small "prep" school to become Potomac State (Junior) College of WVU.
The 16 acre campus of Potomac State College is located on Fort Hill, site of a Civil War Fortification.
Around 1900, the eastern section of WV had only three high schools. The educational needs of students had earlier been recognized by WVU and a preparatory institution had been established in Montgomery.
During the session of the Legislature in 1901, Judge FRANCIS MARION REYNOLDS of Keyser insisted that such a school be established in Keyser and be called Keyser Preparatory Branch of WVU.
The Legislature appropriated $20,000 for a building and 16 acres on what was Fort Fuller during the Civil War was donated by Col Thomas B Davis.
The school opened in 1902 with 80 students and 8 teachers.
LLOYD FRIEND, PRINCIPAL
JOSEPH HODGSON SR
IDA MENEFEE
J C SANDERS
JOHN L BEST
WILLIAM E COOK
WILLIAM M BAUMGARDNER
ELSIE R HUFFMAN
Disaster almost closed the school in 1917 when the original building burned. Davis Hall (named for Col Davis) was almost complete and classes for the next to years were conducted there. Reynolds Hall, named for Judge Reynolds, was completed in 1925.
The campus was expanded in 1919 with the addition of a 125 acre experimental farm, south of the academic campus.
By 1921, the multiplication of high schools had increased educational opportunities for area students. The needs had changed and so did the college which became a junior college - Potomac State College.
1926 marked the year PSC gained full accreditation by the North Central Assn. of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
By an act of the Legislature in 1935, the administration of the school was transferred from the State Board of Governors which brought about another name change - Potomac State School of WVU.
Titles were another matter. Principals became presidents in 1921, then executive deans in 1970, and to the present Dean of the College.

SCHOOL OFFICIALS

PREPARATORY SCHOOL PRINCIPALS
LLOYD FRIEND 1902 - 1905
THOMAS W HAUGHT 1905 - 1908
LORAIN FORTNEY 1908 - 1909
J D MULDOON 1909 - 1911
J C SANDERS 1911 - 1912
J W STAYMAN 1912 - 1921

PRESIDENTS OF POTOMAC STATE
J W STAYMAN 1921 - 1936
ERNEST E CHURCH 1936 - 1964
TODD H BULLARD 1964 - 1970

DEANS OF POTOMAC STATE
D A CHRISTOPHER 1921 - 1923
FRANK MAUZY 1936 - 1963
K S MCGEE 1936 - 1963
TODD H BULLARD 1963 - 1964
JAMES T HANDLAN 1964 - 1970

EXECUTIVE DEANS
HAROLD C DOSTER 1970 - 1973
A GORDON SLOANAKER 1973 -

ASSOCIATE DEAN
JAMES T HANDLAN 1970 -


RETURN TO SCHOOL INDEX
RETURN TO MINERAL