RADICAL HILL MANSION
NOW - 2000
Photograph courtesy of Bill Pyles, Titusville, FL
Female in Photograph: Mrs. Fred Schultz
FROM: HISTORY OF KEYSER WV
BY WILLIAM WOLFE
The owner of the land from Lincoln Street south was Col. Thomas Carskadon of the Radical Hill Farm and mansion. Col. Carskadon was born in Hampshire County, May 17, 1837, and died here in 1905. He was a farmer, stockman, a fluent, "silver-tongued" public speaker, a progressive thinker, a pioneer, stalwart Methodist, and was the candidate for Vice-President on the Prohibition Party's ticket of 1884. He prided himself on his advanced opinions on many issues of the day; for this reason, he named his home and farm "Radical Hill".
MOUNT HOPE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Organized in 1853 in the parlour of the Robert K. Sheetz Mansion, now the home of Dr. From, also known as the Radical Hill Mansion house.
This home has stood grossly neglected for many years.
After the death of Dr. From in January 2000, the house has been the victim of several intentionally set fires.
Currently, the Mineral County Historical Society is in process of purchasing the house, and hopes of restoring it to it's natural beauty for a museum. Anyone interested in donating to the Mineral County Historical Society's endeavor may contact them at:
County Historical Society
HC 84, Box 8
Burlington, WV 26710
TO MINCO PICTORIAL
RETURN TO MINERAL