THE TOWN OF RIDGELEY
SPECIAL THANKS TO BARBARA ALGIERI FOR SUBMITTING
THIS INFORMATION ON THIS TOWN
The original name of the town of Ridgeley was St. Clairsville
because a General St. Clair donated 10 acres of land to the Town, to
encourage the building of the Blue Bridge crossing the Potomac River
from Allegany County, Maryland.
Before the bridge was built, a foot bridge connected the Town to Cumberland.
The Town is located on the Potomac River in the Frankfort district of Mineral County.
The Town was the most northern chain of forts used for protection from the Indians and was built about 1730 on Potomac Heights and was called Fort Ohio.
Up until 1880 the town was sometimes known as "Harrison's Mills" and sometimes "Grayson's Gap". The majority of the town site was owned by Charles Ridgeley and eventually, as the one of the towns oldest families, the name became "Ridgeley" for him. Mr. Ridgeley owned a large 'icehouse' in the town.
Ridgeley was incorporated on November 28, 1914 and thereafter the first mayor, James Vandegrift, was elected to office.
Additional information can be found in the Mineral County Traits, Tracks & Trails book, and in the WV Blue Book, especially Blue Book of 1936.
RETURN TO MINERAL