AUGUST 13, 1915




  Bert Stallings of Medley was in the city Tues.


  Mrs. Ira Matlick was a visitor at Cumberland Tues.


  Prof Jos W Stayman is a business visitor in Charleston.


  W A Duling of Shaw, was a business visitor here Tues.


  Miss Martha Spotts has returned from a visit to Parkersburg.


  Rev H F Baughman is spending his vacation at Ocean Grove.


  Geo E Smith went to Everett Pa yesterday to spend a few days;


  Miss Blanche Chrisman spent Sun with friends in Cumberland.


  Mrs. John Long of Kitzmiller Md died Tues of acute indigestion.


  Clinton Pifer and family are visiting relatives at Stephen’s City Va.


  Miss Leah McIlfish of Cumberland is the guest of Miss Bessie Dawson.


  Miss Eleanor Cadden has returned from a visit with friends in Cumberland.


  Mrs. J B Criser returned Tues from a visit to relatives at Washington.


  Misses Esther and Myrtle Masteller have been visiting at Swanton this week.


  Miss Emma Shipley of Martinsburg came up yesterday for a visit with relatives.


  Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Spicer of Cumberland, spent last Sun here among friends.


  Miss Hester Kitzmiller of Shaw, was brought to the Hoffman hospital Mon.


  J A Glaze of Keyser is the guest of friends in Clarksburg.  – Clarksburg Exponent


  Louis Emmons who spent a few days here, left Tues for his home in Philadelphia.


  Allen Patchett, who has been ill at the Hoffman hospital with typhoid fever, is some better.


  Miss Helene May Leps left yesterday morning for a two weeks visit with relatives in Baltimore.


  Misses Lola and Catherine Sharpless went to Atlantic City yesterday to spend a few days.


  Mrs. J E Goldsworthy and little son returned Mon from a visit to relatives at Cumberland.


  Mrs. Rachel Stevenson has returned from Fairmont, where she has been visiting her daughter.


  Miss Hattie Luke of Berryville Va, is spending a while with her cousin, Miss Emma Clayton.


  Rev Lonier returned last night from a ten days visit to Baltimore.


  Miss Pansy Shores went to Atlantic City Wed night to spend a few days.


  Attorney Chas N Finnell and Dr W J Koelz were in Baltimore Tues on business.


  Mrs. W C Long went to Berkeley Springs this morning for a short visit to her sister.


  Misses Rebecca and Margaret Johnson left for Davis this morning to visit their aunt, Mrs. Wilson.


  Miss Virginia Castle has returned to her home in Cumberland after a four weeks visit to J H Miers and wife.


  Mrs. Willis Pollock and son have returned home after a two weeks visit to friends and relatives at Lahmansville.


  Mr. and Mrs. Alva Feete, of Baltimore who have been visiting here a short while, left for home this morning.


  Mrs. Geo P Warner and Mrs. Wm Wells and little daughter left this morning for Aberdeen Md on a visit to relatives.


  Misses Theressa and Loretta McDonald of North Raleigh St, left today for a visit in Mt Lake Park and at Keyser.  – Martinsburg Journal


  Miss Kate Lark returned Tues from a visit to Grafton, Morgantown and McKeesport.  Miss Lark was the guest of Blanche Hartsock, formerly of McCoole, while at McKeesport.


  H L Arnold,. Mrs. R M Frye and her sister, Mrs. Griffin and children went to Romney yesterday in his auto and left them for a visit and he brought back Miss Ida Umstot, who has been spending a few weeks there.




  Loren High, of our city, aged 60 years, died very suddenly on Tues Aug 10, 1915, at his native home, Convoy Ohio.  Mr. High had been in bad health for a year or two and a short time ago went to Battle Creek Mich for treatment.  He had improved some, apparently, and started for home, stopping off for a visit at his native home, when the summons came and he passed away.  His son, Loren Jr, was there at the time, having gone to accompany his father home.  The remains arrived here yesterday morning, and the funeral will take place today from his late home.

  Mr. High was a member of the Presbyterian church, and besides being a sincere faithful Christian, he was a model citizen, the kind that any community can ill afford to lose.  He had been a resident of this place about 12 years, coming here from Beverly, and was in the mercantile business until a couple of years ago.





  Last Mon afternoon about 3 o’clock, Chief of Police F Guy Davis was shot by a negro man named Joe Davis.  Last April Joe shot Bob Gray in the leg and arm and the officers have been on the look out for him.  Chief Davis got a tip of his whereabouts and he went after him, finding him along the woods on the “White Place” in company of his sweetheart, Mrs. Florence Sutton Brown, who was the cause of the shooting of Gray by Davis.  Chief Davis had crawled within a few yards of the couple, when the woman spied him, and he motioned to her to keep quiet.  But she told Joe, who was lying on his back, and he raised up and began firing, shooting six times when he ran.  Chief Davis was interfered with by the woman getting between him and the Negro.  However, although he was struck by the second shot, he stood right up and emptied his revolver at the Negro as he ran.  After the shooting the woman made a bee-line for home, but was afterward arrested, and is now in jail.  Chief Davis, finding that his wound was bleeding freely, went to H B Smith’s residence, nearby, and phone to the council chamber about the affair.  An auto was sent after him and he was brought home and a doctor called.  It was found that the ball had entered the front of the leg some inches below the thigh, struck the bone and glanced around to the side.  The doctor removed the bullet the next day, which was a 32 caliber and had lodged under the skin, and the wound is not considered dangerous.

  Sheriff Methuen and a posse immediately went after the Negro, and although he left without shoes, coat or hat, and bloodhounds were brought here form Blaine, he made his escape.  The county court has offered a reward of $100 for the capture of the Negro.

  Another Negro, who gave his name as Robert Thompson, was arrested and put in jail.  He had been with Davis, but at the time of the shooting was at Westernport after liquor.  He arrived later in the evening with a quart of whiskey and some cheese and crackers, and was looking for his friend, when he was taken in charge and brought to jail.




  Miss Beulah Ballah, who has been the guest of Miss Alverda Ott for several weeks, left for her home at Bellington the first of the week.


  Walter C Bishoff of Ohio made a brief but pleasant visit to friends here the first of the week.  It was good to receive his genial handclasp once more.




  Thomas Neal and sister, Miss Lettie, former residents of Keyser, now living at Washington DC, brought the body of their mother here last Sat for burial in Queen’s Point cemetery.

  Mrs. Neal lived here for a number of years.  She was the widow of Dr H V Neal, who died about 20 odd years ago.  She was about 86 years of age.

  Mrs. Anna M Neal died in Washington DC, Thurs night, Aug 5, 1915 of heart disease.  Her maiden name was Anna Maria Murray.  She was born in Dublin Ireland, eighty-five years ago.  She was one of 7 children of Joseph and Letitia Chapman Murray, and came to Virginia in 1850, with her father and all the family, excepting her mother, who had previously died.

  In 1869, she was married to the late Dr Hamlet V Neal, who died in Keyser July 14, 1887.

  Two children, Thos M and Letitia Neal survive her.

  In religion, she was an Episcopalian.




  Notice is herby given that bids will be received at the Clerk’s Office of the County Court of Mineral Co, until Tues Sept 14, 1915, for the erection of two reinforced concrete bridges.

  One over George’s Run near the residence of Wm P Emmert in Frankfort District, 30 ft span, 14 ft roadway, 6 ft clearance.

  One over Beaver Run near the residence of Dan Bailey in Cabin Run District, 50 ft span, 14 ft roadway, 9 ft clearance.




  License issued at Cumberland:

  Aug 7 – William R Johnson and Estella Campbell, both of Piedmont W Va.


AUGUST 20, 1917





Most of the oats have been thrashed or stacked, maybe to spill and a bumper crop they are J H Cheshire is in the lead so far in reaping bountiful yield.  One piece made 50 bu by weight, another piece of over four acres made 75 bu by measurement and 80 bu by weight per acre.


  Mrs. Elize Miller (nee Emmert) wife of the late J W Miller, departed this life Sat Aug 7.  The funeral at home and interment at Headsville followed on Sun.  She was a member of the M E Church, and the pastor Rev Shockey preached the funeral.  The deceased has been in ill health for some time with what the doctors thought to be cancer in the stomach.  Surviving is her son Isaac.


  I have just heard that T J ? Jr, has recently returned home with his new bride, nee Zortman She? a sister of his first wife.


  Mrs. Jennie George and her two children of Hagerstown, have spent a few weeks visiting the homes of her three brothers, E W, G C And D B Bailey.


  Sat B W Smith was called to Piedmont preparatory to conducting the funeral of Rev Cook, who died Fri.  Sun morning all left in autos for Petersburg where the funeral was to be conducted.  The deceased was a member of the church of the Brethren.


  Mrs. Dan Arnold has been spending a week or more visiting in Keyser.


  Sam Davy who is working for J B Leatherman this summer, left recently to visit a few weeks his home in Louden Co Va.



From Mrs. Fred Kaths

I did not transcribe this, interest to family only.





  On Mon morning, June 7, 1915, Mr. John Goodwin Wolfe, of Keyser W VA, quietly fell asleep in Jesus.  The funeral services were conducted in the home of his son, Mr. H W Wolfe, by Rev G G Martin, pastor of the Southern Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mr. Wolfe was a member.

  The call came suddenly and the passing of this good man was a shock to the entire community.  Mr. Wolfe had been in failing health for some time, but his family apprehended no immediate danger, and hoped for the comfort of his visible presence for a long time to come.  Personally Mr. Wolfe did not share in this hope, about his thought that the call from this Master might come at any moment did not disturb the serenity of his spirit.  He was ready and waiting for the summons.

  Mr. Wolfe was born in Fincastle Va in 1853, and was the son of the Rev John W Wolfe, who for the period of his long and useful life was a prominent member of the Baltimore Conference of the Methodist Episcopal church South.

  He was married in 1871 to Miss Mary Susan Davis of Romney W Va, and is survived b y his wife, one daughter, Mrs. Mamie Carder of Grafton W  Va, three sons, Marvin of Parkersburg, John M and Herbert W of Keyser; two sisters, Mrs. B P Gaw of Stuarts Draft Va, and Mrs. N B Guthrie of Springfield W Va, and one brother, William of Asheville N C>

  Mr. Wolfe was a good citizen, interested in the life of his city and contributing to its welfare.  He was a man of jovial disposition and possessed a large circle of friends.

  But the latter years of his life were the brightest and best for it was during these years that he yielded his life to the sweet influence of divine grace and became a follower of the Lamb.  How serenely happy he was in this new and blessed relation only those who were with him in these sunset hours of life can testify.




  W S Davis took in the Grand Lodge at Charles Town Wed and Thurs.


  Mrs. Sallie Johnston has been on the sick list the past week, but is on the mend.


  Lee Kesner has accepted a position as B&O policeman, with headquarters in Keyser.


  Miss Ethel Kalbaugh of Barnum, has been visiting Miss Catoria Offner this week.


  Dr and Mrs. Arza Furbee returned last Fri from a visit to relatives at Alma W VA.


  Miss Edith Evans has been attending a camping party at Rawlings the past week.


  Mrs. J M Linthicum and Mrs. H J Kight were weekend visitors to friends at Swanton.


  Clyde and Harry Smith of Hagerstown, who have been visiting here, returned Wed.


  Mrs. Herman Allen and son Lee returned Tues night from a short visit to friends at Oakland.


  W W Long and family left Tues in his Buick for Charles Town to attend the Grand Lodge K of P.


  Mrs. A J Pancake accompanied by Andy Miller went to Romney Wed to pay her son a visit.


  Mr. and Mrs. Wm M Smith went to Hagerstown Wed to spend a few days with their daughter.


  Atty and Mrs. W Griffith and little daughter have been visiting relatives at Luray Va, the past week.


  Jacob Sauer, the tailor, returned last Sat form a few weeks vacation at his old home in Jersey City.


  Miss Mollie Brown is in Baltimore this week laying in her new stock of millinery and milliners notions.


  R Frank Bane, principal of the high school at Suffolk Va, spent a few hours here Tues with relatives.


  Miss Beryl Wilcox of Smithfield, who has been visiting at the home of her brother here, has returned home.


  Mrs. Lida Wotring of Mt Lake Park, returned home Wed evening after a short visit to her son, Howard Wotring.


  Mrs. Marshall Sayre, and daughter, Miss Hallie and Mrs. J B Criser spent Wed at Berkeley Springs.


  Mrs. Dorsey Shaw and daughter, Mrs. Delcia Rhode and two sons left Thurs morning for a visit at Morgantown.


  Engineer Savage Dayton of Cumberland, spent a few hours here with his mother, Mrs. M E Dayton Wed.


  Mr. and Mrs. Lockridge of Morgantown, who have been visiting at the home of J W Newcome, returned home Tues.


  Alfred Pugh and wife and Mrs. Lloyd Woods are home from a trip to Atlantic City.


  Mrs. S H Jordan and her guest, Mrs. James Pope spent Tues at Mt Lake Park.


  D G Martin of Antioch, was in town Mon on his way to Warnick to do some surveying.


  Miss Reba Corpening of Clarksburg is visiting Misses Addine and Ethel Nine this week.


  Erstel Hovermale of Pequa Ohio is visiting his mother, Mrs. J H Swisher at New Creek.


  S M Bright and family and Frank Bane of Elk Garden made an auto trip to Moorefield yesterday.


  Miss Katherine Fout of Purgitsville has been a guest this week at the home of her aunt, Mrs. Harley Kight.


  Miss Grace Peters of Cumberland, who spent a week here with her aunt, Mrs. J H Miers, returned home Wed.


  Mrs. W P Hollen, accompanied by her daughter, Miss Ruth, has returned from a visit to her son Thomas in Baltimore.


  Prof McIlwee and family are occupying a cottage at Van Myra, where he has charge of the music during camp.


  Mrs. Campbell Smith returned home Wed night from a visit to home folks in Philadelphia and Atlantic City.


  Atty and Mrs. Chas N Finnell and children are home from an extended stay with relatives at Parsons.


  Miss Mildred Dixon of Oakland, who accompanied Misses Tabitha and Susana Thompson home last week on a short visit, returned home Tues.


  Mrs. Dr Chas Taylor of Clarksburg, is spending a few weeks with her father, G R Dye, near Ridgeville and attending camp meeting.


  Miss Isabel Sobraske and Miss Lena Lark milliners, went to Baltimore Tues to take the fall openings and engage employment for the season,


  Atty and Mrs. Arthur Kelson, of New Mexico, and D M Dixon and wife of Oakland, spent Sun here as guest of Mr. and Mrs. H S Thompson


  Mr. and Mrs. J D Gelwicks and daughter returned Tues from a visit to Mrs. Belle Babb at Williamsport.  T MN Roderick brought them home in his auto.


  Mrs. Alexander Boxwell of Frankville Ohio, who spent a week here as guest of the Misses Brown, left Tues on a visit to Winchester and Berryville VA.


  Mrs. Helen Cunningham of Burlington, went to Baltimore.


  Mr. and Mrs. James Pope and daughter, who have been visiting at Mr. S H Jordan’s left this morning for their home at Norfolk Va.


  Rev A N Perryman has been holding protracted meeting at Eusebia church at Rees Mill this week, under appointment of Presbytery.


  Rev S R Ludwig returned yesterday from Keyser where he had been to see his son who is a typhoid patient in the Hoffman Hospital.  – Elkins Int Mt of 25th


  Mr. and Mrs. Willis Rickey and son Willis and Mrs. C W Thayer and daughter, Miss Elsie, and son Harry, have returned after attending the funeral of their cousin, Lawrence Lohr, Grafton.


  Misses Lillian and Anna Snyder, Green St, are visiting Mrs. John Thrush, Keyser.  – Cumb News of 27th




  Ruey E Rice, aged 17 months, son of Mr. and Mrs. Dempsey Rice, died yesterday morning, Aug 26, 1915 at their home on Piedmont St, after a long illness.  Funeral today at 2:30.  Services were conducted by Rev G C Martin and burial in Queen’s Point cemetery.


  After a long illness, Mrs. Bessie Stonebraker died at her home on Water St yesterday, Aug 26, 1915, aged about 35 years.  She leaves four small children, besides her mother, Mrs. Ellen Welch and three sisters.


  Charles Michael, aged about 35 years, formerly a resident of Keyser, died Aug 19, 1915 at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jas H Michael, near Purgittsville.  He leaves a wife.  Interment took place at Purgitsville.


  The two weeks old son of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Dawson died at their home near Keyser, Aug 18th and was buried Sat afternoon in Queen’s Point cemetery.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev Samuel Umstott of Patterson’s Creek.


   William Richards of Luke Hill, died at his home on Mon morning, aged 81 years.  He leaves an aged widow and four children, two sons and two daughters.  His remains were shipped on No 4 on the Western Md to Baltimore on Tues.




  C E Bartgis, aged about 60 years died Aug 23rd, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Burke Randalls, where he boarded.  HE was from Baltimore, but had been bookkeeper at the stone crusher here or several years.  He had been sick a short while, but was able to be out last Sat.




  Aug 26 – Cards are out announcing the marriage of Alma Ray Mellor to Tracy W Whitworth.  The wedding was held Wed at 12:30 am at the bride’s home on Ashfield St.  Rev Walter McKinley performed the ceremony.  Luncheon was served and the bride and groom left for Niagara Falls.  Only the immediate family and Roy Mulledy of Keyser were present.


  Mrs. O Tibbetts, Miss Virginia and Stanley Tibbetts left yesterday for Doneden Fla, where they will spend the winter.


  Atty Charles Ritchey wife and child are visiting relatives at Tolchester Beach.




  A wedding shower was given by Mrs. Anna Kolkhorst at her home on Spring St Mon night, in honor of Lawrence Kolkhorst and bride.  Mr. Kokhorst is solo clarinetist in McIlwee’s Band and the band boys turned out in full force and serenaded the young couple.  Refreshments of all kinds were served.  Quite a crowd of out of town people attended.  The young couple received many valuable and beautiful presents.



  Messrs Mathews and Baker, of the state tax commissioners’ office, recently audited the books of L O Davis, late Sheriff of Mineral County, and passed on his commission and fees as treasurer of the funds.  In the entire four years, the auditors found but one error of $2.40 and that was in the sheriff’s favor.  This is a good record.  Mr. Davis is now on the detective force of the Western Md RR Co.




  The fact became known a few days ago that Edgar A Feller and Miss Mareia Smith had slipped off to Oakland Aug 14th and got married.  The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm M Smith and are at present staying at the home of the bride’s parents.






  B&O Policeman Tom Coffman, in answer to a telegram that they had captured the Negro who had shot Policeman Davis, went to Grafton Tues evening, accompanied by John Streets to identify the Negro.  As soon as they saw the man they announced that he was not the man wanted.




  WE just heard that Miss Etta Crites of Moorefield and Clarence Michael of Williamsport were married in Cumberland on July 6th.  The bride is a lady of many graces of mind and who is capable of filling the home she will adorn with happiness, and will prove to be a true companion to the husband she has taken to honor with her hand.  The groom is highly respected and those who know him consider him as one of the most substantial men in Grant Co.  Many congratulations – Moorefield Examiner

  Mr. Michael has been staying here some time, and his wife is still at Moorefield.  The Tribune joins in congratulations.




  Charles H McGahan, aged 52 years, died very suddenly about noon on Wed, Sept 1st, 1915 of heart trouble.  He worked for the T M P RR Co, and was taken sick on the train coming in.  He was taken home from the train in an auto about noon and in a few minutes was dead.  The deceased was born in Keyser, and lived here nearly all his life.  He was a son of the late Wm T McGahan.  He leaves a wife and two daughters, Anna and Helen; and two brothers, John of Toldeo O and Frank of Chicago Ill.

  The funeral will be at 9 am Sat.




  C A Humphreys of Ridgeley W Va, a West Md brakeman, sustained a broken leg yesterday morning at Luke when a barrel of paint rolled from a car, striking him.  He was brought to Cumberland and taken to the West Md Hospital, where Dr E B Claybrook rendered medical aid.  – Cumb Times of 28th




Licenses issued at Cumberland:


  Aug 30 – John W Miller and Ida Bartlett, both of Dodson Md.


  David McDonald and Myrtle Anna Holliday, both of Berkeley Springs W Va.


  D F Robinette of Cumberland and Estella Williams of Cresaptown Md.


  Harold Hyde and Mabel Burlew Graham, both of Salem Va.


  Aug 31 – Floyd V Abell of Keyser and Valley Bowman of Kirby W Va.


  Grover H Rawlings of Dodson Md and Mary B Jackson of Westernport Md.


  Marion Francis Reeves and Ruth Marie Spriggs, both of Westernport.


  Sept 2 – Andrew Sherman Dawson and Cora Violet Gordon, both of Rawlings.




  Miss Fannie Leps gave a delightful corn roast to quite a crowd of her young friends last Mon evening at her home, Stone Cliffe.  The evening was fine and every appointment was perfect and a royal time was enjoyed.




  A R Heltzel, aged 65 years, merchant and stock dealer, died Sun at Wardensville W Va.  He was operated upon in Baltimore two weeks ago and returned home apparently improved.




  Sept 1 – Isaac H Kooken, 68 years old, a retired farmer, died at his home here this morning form a complication of diseases.  He is survived b y three sons, Charles, James T and Francis Kooken of Westernport; and two daughters, Mrs. Howard Pulliam, Keyser and Mrs. Roy Delawder, Westernport.  Mr. Kooken was a member of the Junior Order of United American Mechanics.


  Major E H Shoop, who had charge of the government as inspector when the postal card contract was held at the plant of the W V Pulp and Paper Co at Luke, died Thurs in Detroit Mich.  Mrs. Long, wife of Dr D J Long, Piedmont is a surviving daughter.


  The funeral of Mrs. Mary Gilmore, 60 years old, of Piedmont, who died Tues at the Allegany Hospital, Cumberland of Paralysis, will beheld tomorrow morning from ST Peter’s Catholic church, Westernport.  Burial will be in St Peter’s cemetery.




  J W Dayton, O F Spotts and Rep Sprought from Washington camp, attended the annual encampment of the P O S of A, held at Romney Wed.




  Phillip A Fetzer5, aside from his skill at the throttle and wheel of a motor, is a disciple of Izaak Walton, who knows every angle of the piscatorial game.  His biggest catch of the season was a 4 ½ pound black bass which he landed from the placid depths of the South Branch on Thurs last.  Along with the big fellow, ten other bass were added to his string on that day.

  Cumb News of 28th


SEPTEMBER 10, 1915




  Misses Alta Friend and Virgina Sluss spent from Sat to Mon with friends in Cumberland.


  Mrs. Walter Lowry has been visiting her daughter, Mrs. Jesse Hoover, in Cumberland this week.


  Two hunters were before Justice J T Doyle Tues on charge of shooting squirrels and each were fined $50.


  Mrs. Edward Offner and children, of Fairmont are visiting tat the home of the former’s brother, Eugene Taylor.


  Mr. and Mrs. Timothy Burns and family of Midland, spent the weekend as guests at the Dickle farm near Keyser.


  Mrs. M M Wood, of Fairmont, stopped off Tues night with her sister, Mrs. A E Russell, enroute to Charles Town on a visit.


  Jas W Crawford and wife of Cumberland, spent Wed night here on their way home from the reunion near Burlington.


  Mrs. H L Stallings and little son of Medley, spent Wed night here on their way to Atlantic City.  Bert brought them down.


  Miss Mildred Payne, who had been the guest of Miss Constance Gordon, South Main St, has returned to her home at Meyersdale Pa.


  Mrs. Bertie Frey attended the VanMyra camp meeting last Sun and has been spending the week with her sister, Mrs. Jas W Carskadon, at Headsville.


  Mrs. Ida Duffy of Grafton, Mrs. Bell of Piedmont, Miss Bertha Grenzenback of Westernport was guests last Sun of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Montgomery.


  Lee Hollen, accompanied by his daughter, Miss Viola and N E Hollen, went to Breedlove yesterday to attend the funeral of his nephew Henry Hollen.


  Mrs. Elizabeth O’Neill of McKeesport Pa, Mrs. Mary Yarnell of Cumberland and Mrs. Margaret Mead of Baltimore, have been visiting Mrs. John W Arnold this week.


  Chief of Police F G Davis and his family are spending the week with Mr. and Mrs. John Bailey near Headsville.  Chief Davis is recovering from his wound and will soon report for duty.


  Mrs. Jane Merrifield and niece, Rachael Coogle, of Morgantown, who have been visiting at Petersburg and Martin, came down with E P Babb Mon and yesterday morning left for home


  B& O train No 55 was detoured through Elkins Sun on account of a freight wreck on the 17-mile grade.


  Miss Bernice Long of Ohio, who taught Domestic Science in the public school here last term, has returned.


  F C Cadden of the Woolf Milling co, left Tues night for Pittsburg to attend the Millers’ Convention.


  Mrs. May Arnold of near Burlington, has returned to Oakland, where she will teach another term in the public school.


  Misses Minnie and Leotia Harris of Morgantown are visiting friends in and around Keyser for a couple of weeks.


  Mrs. D T Greenwade and granddaughter, Frances Bell, returned first of the week from their visit to Clarksburg.


  Mrs. H C Caudy of Baltimore, has been spending the past two weeks here with her daughter, Mrs. Harry Leps.


  Mrs. Carrie Reed returned to her home in Cumberland Wed, accompanied by her sister, Mrs. Charles McGahan.


  Mildred, daughter of Mrs. C C Arbogast, is ill with diphtheria, at their home on Spring St.  Miss Clendenning is her nurse.


  Miss Alta Powell is spending a while in Cumberland with her sister, Mrs. J W Somerville, whose husband is in the hospital sick.


  Erstel Hovermale, who spent his vacation with his mother, Mrs. J H Swisher, at New Creek, has returned to his home at Sidney Ohio.


  Miss sue Armentrout has returned from Glasgow Va, where she spent several days visiting her sister, Mrs. Rucker. – Elkins Inter Mt


  Mr. and Mrs. J H A Brown of Piedmont St, are spending a pleasant vacation at Washington, Philadelphia, Atlantic City and other eastern points of interest.


  Miss Cora Rinehart, who recently returned from Kansas and has been visiting here and on Patterson’s Creek, left Tues for Chicago to attend the Moody Bible Institute


  Thomas Nash, traveling salesman for the Siever Hardware Co, is at Baltimore spending his vacation.  He accompanied home his cousin, Miss Laura Mills, who had bee visiting here


  Mrs. Charles Sutkey of Bedford Pa, who ahs been sick the past month at the home of her sister, Mrs. Burr Davis, here, was taken to Berkeley Springs this morning by her husband and Dr Ford.


  “Uncle Johnny” Wilson of the Wilson Hotel, has been quite ill for several days is confined to his room a great deal of the time.  His many friends among the traveling public and local people hope for his speedy recovery.  Elkins Inter Mt of 6th.


Ray Wells, one of our accommodating mail carriers, is off on his vacation.  He and Mrs. Wells left this morning on their motorcycle and sidecar for Baltimore to spend a week.


Clerk J V Bell returned yesterday from a week’s trip east.  He stopped on his way back at Springfield and was accompanied home by Miss Virginia Wolfe, who has been visiting there.


  Lora, aged 6 years, daughter of Otto Warnick of Bloomington, was brought to the hospital Tues by Dr Kemp.  She had a very badly injured leg and amputation was necessary.


  Miss Giffon head nurse at the Hoffman Hospital, is spending her vacation at her home near Capon Springs.  Frank Giffon took her over in his auto accompanied by Miss Nora and Theodore Giffin of Rowlesburg.


  Geo C Junkins, of Hartmonsville, was here yesterday and paid the institute a visit.  Mr. Junkins says he saw very few persons there who attended institutes in his school teaching days.  Mr. Junkins has sold his property to Ed Ludwick of Romney and is thinking of leaving our county.  We can’t afford to lose such men.


  Mrs. W G Edwards of West King St, accompanied by her grandchildren, Virginia and Mary Welch, who have been visiting here left for the home of her daughter, Mrs. R A Welch in Keyser Tues, returning today.

  Miss Jane Colston left for Keyser.  Martinsburg Journal 8th.




  Mr. and Mrs. James French Holroyd, of Athens W VA, have announced the engagement of their daughter, Miss Mary Manning to the Rev R E I Strider o, rector of the Episcopal church here.  The wedding will take place in Oct.  Miss Holroyd taught in the Prep School here the last two terms.




  Wm L Payne, about 35 years, a B&O yard brakeman, was killed in the yards last Sat night.  He was riding a few cars, when he fell b between the cars and a number of them passed over his body, cutting him up fearfully.  After having been prepared for burial, the remains were taken to his home on D St.  The funeral took place on Tues, the B of R T of which he was a member having charge.  Services were held at the house at 8:30 am, by Rev R G Hammond, after which the remains were taken to Purgitsville for burial.  He is survived by a wife and two children.




  Helen Louise, aged 11 months, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Wiley of G St, died Tues night, Sept 7, 1915 of cholera infantum.  The funeral took place today.


  Herman Cunningham, aged 12 years, son of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Cunningham, died Sat afternoon, Sept 4th 1915, at the home of his parents on E St, after an illness of a few days.  The funeral took place Mon.  Services were conducted at the home by Rev G G Martin.  Interment was in queen’s Point cemetery.


  Blanch Fiddler, daughter of Becky Fiddler, became violently insane last week and was taken to the asylum at Weston Tues.  She had typhoid fever and died the next day after arriving at the hospital.  The body arrived home last night, and the funeral will be tomorrow.




  A WELL ATTENDED MEETING OF THE board of Commerce was held on Tues evening at the council chamber, and a permanent organization effected by the election of a board of directors with the following officers:  President, J T Sincell; 1st V P, C W Siever; 2nd V P, W B Woolf; Sec, Jas E Leps; Treas, E V Romig.

  A resolution was passed favoring the removal of the W Md passenger depot from the obstruction of Main St, but the sentiment was opposed to moving it to McCoole.