CHARLES W. BATES, WHEELING
From: West Virginians
Published by The West Virginia Biographical Association, 1928
Submitted by Linda Fluharty.
Charles W. Bates has practiced architecture since September, 1904. Mr. Bates has taken no small part as an influence on the industrial, commercial and residential aspect of many Midwestern communities. A leader in his profession, he now maintains offices in Wheeling, W. Va.; Youngstown, O., and Cleveland, O., and is recognized as a special authority on the larger construction problems of modern industry and business.
Mr. Bate's is a native of Wheeling, born December 27, 1879, son of Dr. William J. and Jennie (Campbell) Bates. He attended public schools of Wheeling, Linsly Military Institute, and studied architecture at the Armour Institute of Technology, Chicago. From 1904 to 1909 he was located in Chicago and Pittsburgh, establishing his office in Wheeling in 1909, and he has taken his place among the leading architects of the Middle West.
On December 1, 1910, he married Isabelle Jepson. They have three sons. Mr. Bates is a member of the Fort Henry Club of Wheeling, University Club, Cedar Rocks Country Club, Belmont Hills Country Club and Wheeling Country Club.
Home: Hawthorne Court, Wheeling. Offices: 77 12th Street, Wheeling; City Bank Bldg., Youngstown; Leader Bldg., Cleveland.