WILLIAM C. CHURCH, WHEELING
From: West Virginians
Published by The West Virginia Biographical Association, 1928
Submitted by Linda Fluharty.
William C. Church is president of the Yellow Cab Company of Wheeling, sole owner of the Burns & Church Transfer Company and proprietor of the Hertz "Drive It Yourself" System of Wheeling. He is a native of Wheeling, born July 24, 1880, son of Marcus W. and Katherine Church. He attended Wheeling public schools and as a boy worked for the Burns & Church Transfer Company, which he later acquired. In 1907, however, he left the company to work as a fireman on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, and was later made an engineer. For nine years he remained in the employ of the Baltimore & Ohio, giving up that work to enter business in Wheeling.
He became sole owner of the Burns & Church Transfer Company in 1917. In 1922 he incorporated the Yellow Cab Company of Wheeling and installed a fleet of twelve Yellow Cabs. In 1924 he established the first Hertz "Drive It Yourself" System east of the Rocky Mountains. All his undertakings have prospered in remarkable fashion. He has greatly expanded the Burns & Church Transfer Company. In 1921 he moved, its headquarters from the McLure Hotel Building - where offices had been maintained since establishment in 1889 - to present quarters at 58 Twelfth Street.
The Hertz "Drive It Yourself" System furnishes cars for all purposes to responsible persons who are their own drivers. This service has been increasingly in demand in Wheeling, and today Mr. Church has a large business in renting cars for such purposes as shopping, pleasure, weddings, funerals and such uses. In addition, he has made the Yellow Cab Company, of Wheeling, one of the most efficient cab services in the Middle West.
Mr. Church is a member of the American Drive It Yourself Association and the National Association of Taxicab Owners.
He was married, in 1911, to Miss Margaret Snedeker of Wheeling. They have no children.
Home: 62 Twenty-Eighth Street. Office: 58 Twelfth Street.