Submitted by Ross Frazier -


This article appeared in the Wheeling Intelligencer in 1941:

Historic M'Colloch Homestead Still Standing After 130 Years



©2015 Ross L. Frazier, Jr.

During our research, we rediscovered an article which had been published in the Wheeling Intelligencer newspaper July 30th 1941. It highlighted the John McColloch Family and McColloch Homestead, located on Short Creek. The article mentioned the late Robert Frazier and his son, the late Roy P Frazier, the then owner of the farm, located on Short Creek Road, Ohio County, West Virginia. We have the original newspaper article, shown above.

I need not say the importance of accuracy needed for correct information available to future genealogy researchers. Many times, researchers just copy and repeat over and over again, which ends up as bad, totally misleading, or totally incorrect information. Too many people will not practice “do diligence” and take time to do their own research.

The original newspaper article left an impression that John McColloch died the year the house was started, 1821. Actually, one finds a brick, about 7 feet off ground level on the southeast corner, with a date of 1818. It was in the 1930s and 1940s, covered with English Ivy.

One of the statements attributed to our grandfather, Roy P. Frazier, just didn’t hold true to the verbiage he would have used - too many flowery words, not in his vocabulary. Additionally, the article stated Robert Frazier, Jr. was from “Steel’s Ridge, Ohio”. Not so; they lived on “Scotch Ridge” Belmont County, and Mt. Pleasant, Jefferson County, Ohio.

Continuing History of the McColloch Homestead Farm House
The Robert Frazier, Jr. Family
Settlers from 1818

Note to researchers: We have two Robert Frazier families in the area of Bethlehem and Mozart in Ohio County in 1850 --- They are not related. The two Frazier families are still found on the 1871 property map found in Ohio County WVGenWeb site. Also, we found at least three separate Frazier clans in the Northern Panhandle area—none related.

     The pre-Robert Frazier family arrived in the Ohio Valley in 1818, when Alexander Frazier and his wife, Mary Drake, migrated via the National Pike [U.S. route 40] from the Frederick County, Virginia area. The family consisted of Alexander, Mary and three children, John, Hiram and Samuel. Alexander established a grist mill at Patterson’s Mill on Big Short Creek in Jefferson County Ohio. Here, in 1819, Robert Frazier Sr. was born. About 1848, Robert Sr. established a farm “Richie Town Farm”, of some 125 acres, in the hills above “Richietown”, as South Wheeling was then known. The Frazier name carries on with various roads named, “Frazier“, in Mozart and Bethlehem, Ohio and Marshall Counties in West Virginia.
     Robert Frazier Jr., was born in Belmont County, Ohio in 1846 and was the second son of Robert Sr., and Marion Harper Thorburn Frazier.
     Robert Frazier, Jr. purchased the McColloch property in 1904 and it has remained in the family since. The acreages [about 125 acres] originally purchased was a fraction of the original Major John McColloch Homestead of some four thousand acres. Our continuous possession of the property has been much longer than any other owners.
     Robert, along with his wife, Alta Virginia Leasure, and daughters, Ora and Ethel, established a dairy farm. The family moved from the Scotch Ridge area of Belmont County, Ohio. Son, Roy P. had married Lizzie Bowman in 1903 and remained in Colerain, Ohio until 1912, when Roy, Lizzie and grandson, Ross, joined Robert to farm the property. Soon arrived three more children, Elsie Olive, Robert Joseph and Ruth Ellen. The dairy, in various modes, remained until the very sudden death of Roy P. in 21 August 1958.
     About 1950, Roy, with sons Ross and Robert Joseph, purchased the Harvey Trimble 125 + acre property which adjoined the Homestead. This increased the farm to 225/50 acres. Also farmed was the landlocked Deleplaine (also Delaplaine) property which joined both Frazier and Trimble farms. Additional acreage was leased to allow the pasturing and food production for over one hundred milk cows.
     After the death of Ross L. Sr. in 1957, and sudden death of Roy P. Frazier in August 1958, the major farm operation was disbanded. Several acres were sold to neighboring farmers, which reduced the farm to is approximate current size.
     Later, a smaller dairy operation was started by grandson, John Metz, current owner, and operator of a trailer park on the property.
     In addition to the four children, five grandchildren, ten great-grandchildren, eight great-great-grandchildren and two great-great-great- grandchildren survive. The Frazier name ends with the death of Ross L. Frazier, Jr.