CHAUNCEY A. HOUSE, WHEELING
From: West Virginians
Published by The West Virginia Biographical Association, 1928
Submitted by Linda Fluharty.
During his long and active career, Chauncey A. House was a prominent figure in the business, civic and social life of Wheeling. Always robust physically and devoted to outdoor exercise, be remained an active business-man until his death on January 6, 1921. The firm of C. A. House Company, founded by him in 1883, as a piano and musical instrument concern, has for many years been the largest wholesale and retail music house in West Virginia, with branches at Fairmont, W. Va., and Steubenville, Ohio. The business is now owned and directed by his widow, Mrs. Rose A. House, who is President and General Manager of the business, and two daughters, Miss Rena House and Mrs. Jessie Tomlinson, who are stockholders in the Company.
Chauncey A. House was born February 6th, 1834, at Homer, N. Y., son of Jacob and Lucinda House, and attended public schools and later Horner Academy. As a young man he went to St. Cloud, Minnesota, served apprenticeship as an architect and practiced there for a number of years. Later he removed to Meadville, Pa., where he constructed a number of public buildings. In 1883 he founded the firm of C. A. House which later became a corporation, the present C. A. House Company. That he was able to make a signal success of any venture he undertook, is not the least remarkable trait of this notable man's career. The C. A. House Company began at once to advance to its present dominance, and became a West Virginia institution.
Mr. House kept well to the fore in the civic undertakings of the city and was held in affection and esteem by his fellow men. He was a member of Thompson Methodist Episcopal Church, the Fort Henry Club and the Wheeling Country Club. During the World War, although his years precluded any aggressive participation in war activities, he gave liberally of his means to the many drives so necessary to success in war.
Mr. House was twice married, - first to Sarah Miller, daughter of Daniel and Lydia of Sauk Rapids, Minnesota, who preceded him to the grave. To this union were born three daughters and two sons, both sons dying at the age of seven years. One daughter, Helen Mar House is deceased; the others are Miss Rena House and Mrs. Jessie Tomlinson of Wheeling. On October 21st, 1903, he married Rose Tucker of Wheeling, daughter of John and Mary Tucker who survives.
The C. A. House Company, which at the time of Mr. House's death had grown to great proportions, has been expanded further under the management of his widow, who has achieved her high success by carrying on the sound policies and fair dealing which distinguished her husband.