J. W. BELTZ
From "History of Wheeling City and Ohio County, West Virginia and
Representative Citizens," by Hon. Gibson Lamb Cranmer, 1902.
Mr. Beltz was born in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, in 1837, and is a son of Peter Beltz. The latter, who was a native of Hessen, Germany, came to this country in 1837. He lived in various places in the United States and died at his home in Triadelphia in 1890, aged eighty-four years. His wife is also deceased. J. W. Beltz has two brothers in Ohio County, Adam, who lives near the old homestead on Peter's run; and August, who conducts a carriage shop on Market Street in Wheeling.
J. W. Beltz learned the trade of a cabinet maker with Jerry Clemens and R. T. Friend. During the war he was in the quartermaster's department as a carpenter, and was located one year at Nashville. In 1867 the business of which he is now the head was established by him in connection with Joseph Salisbury and John Flading, as a planing mill. It was located on what is now the site of Benjamin Fisher's stove foundry, or the Wheeling Warehouse and Storage Company, and employed about six men. The firm continued until 1873, when Mr. Salisbury retired, and the firm name became Beltz & Flading. The concern was continued as a planing mill until 1885, when the present site was chosen and buildings were erected. The plant occupies two and a half lots, and has a lumber yard adjoining. The company also owns three other lumber yards in the city, and does an immense business in this branch of their work. In addition to these, the company rents another lumber yard from a railroad company, and handles lumber of every grade and kind. The firm was incorporated as the J. W. Beltz & Sons Company in 1884, with J. W. Beltz as president, and John C. Paul, secretary and treasurer. J. W. Beltz, Jr., Henry Beltz and Edward Beltz, sons of the subject hereof, are also connected with the business. Mr. Beltz has been a resident of Wheeling since 1838, and is well and favorably known throughout this vicinity.
John C. Paul, secretary and treasurer of the company, was born in Wheeling in 1866, and the first two or three years of his business career were spent with the dry goods firm of Brues & Coffer. He then attended business college in Wheeling, after which he was employed in the machine shops of A. J. Sweeney & Son. He then worked for Wilson & Chapman one year, and later in the Wilson & Dunlevy planing mill. When the J. W. Beltz & Sons Company was incorporated , in 1884, he was made secretary and treasurer, and since 1891 has held a clerical position with the concern. He married Miss Henderson, and has a daughter Isabella. He resides in Center Wheeling, is a member of the Y. M. C. A., and attends the Second United Presbyterian Church.
Mr. Beltz was united in marriage with Virginia Grammar, who was also reared in Wheeling. Besides the three sons previously mentioned they have a daughter, Anna. Mr. Beltz resides in the fifth ward, has served two terms in the second branch of the city council, and is a member of the board of trade. Fraternally he is a member of Arion Association and St. Alphonsus Society, and of the Carroll Club. Religiously he is member of the Catholic Church. His portrait accompanies this sketch.