THOMAS A. LEWIS, WHEELING
From: West Virginians
Published by The West Virginia Biographical Association, 1928
Submitted by Linda Fluharty.
Thomas A. Lewis, as general manager of the Wheeling district of the Wheeling Steel Corporation, directs the operation of one of the country's really important steel manufacturing systems. The mills of the Wheeling district, twenty-six in number, are the largest unit of the Wheeling Steel Corporation, devoted to the manufacture of sheet steel and black plate, products which contribute in most significant measure to the maintenance of American civilization in this era. Within the Wheeling district are included the Whitaker works, the Beech Bottom, and Martins Ferry Works, all of the Wheeling Steel Corporation.
Mr. Lewis was born at Martins Ferry, Ohio, January 24, 1890, son of David L. and Alberta (Davis) Lewis, and attended the public and high schools of Martins Ferry. He began as shipping clerk with the Whitaker-Glessner plant at Martins Ferry in 1909. In 1913 he was made chief clerk in the same plant and in 1916 was made assistant superintendent, a position which indicated, in light of his youth, a fine capacity for responsibility and accomplishment. The same sort of record is seen in subsequent advancement. In 1924 he was appointed assistant general manager of the Wheeling district, and in 1927 was advanced to general manager, his present position.
Mr. Lewis is a member of the several branches of the Masonic fraternity, including Knights Templar, and in politics is a Republican. He was married, on June 17, 1913, to Minnie Nickerson of Elm Grove, Wheeling, W. Va. They have two daughters, Cora Lee Lewis and Alberta Lydia Lewis.