EDWARD J. MILLAR, WHEELING
From: West Virginians
Published by The West Virginia Biographical Association, 1928
Submitted by Linda Fluharty.
Edward J. Millar, civil engineer, has been established in Wheeling since 1894 and since that time has undertaken engineering projects of such magnitude and importance as to exert a great influence on the whole life of many Mid-western cities. He has planned and directed sewage systems, street paving systems and waterworks in many cities and is regarded as one of the most expert authorities on municipal engineering generally.
Mr. Millar was born in 1863, on a farm in Broomie County, Province of Quebec, Canada, of Quaker parentage, and went to Boston in 1881 at the age of 18 to work his way to an education. As office boy and later assistant buyer for a manufacturing firm he earned his tuition for a year at Phillips Exeter Academy, and four years at Lehigh University, where he was graduated in 1892, with the degree C.E. He was an honor man in his class and elected to the honor engineering fraternity, Tau Beta Pi.
Having been employed during summer vacation with the N. Y. & Providence Railroad, he was sufficiently experienced on graduation to take charge of a field engineering force of the Chevy Chase Land Company, near Washington, D. C. But, although he began with railroad work, his subsequent career was concerned almost entirely with municipal projects. In 1893 he came to the Ohio Valley to make surveys for a sewage system for Martins Ferry, Ohio, just across the river from Wheeling, W. Va. In 1894 he established his offices in Wheeling.
Other work undertaken by Mr. Millar includes the sewage systems, street paving and water works for Sistersville, W. Va., New Martinsville, W. Va., and Rowlesburg, W. Va.; water works for Cameron, W. Va.; pumping plant for Pruntytown Boys School; concrete reservoir for St. Mary's, W. Va.; water works for Scio, Ohio; water works and sewage systems for New Matamoras, Ohio; separate sewage systems for Martins Ferry, O., and Waynesburg, Pa. He was consulting engineer in the planning of the sewage system and street paving system of Clarksburg, W. Va.; engineer in charge of sewer construction at Sharon, Pa., and undertook surveys for the sewage system of the tenth ward, Zanesville, O.
From 1900 to 1916 Mr. Millar acted as engineer in many projects of the Manufacturers Light and Heat Company and for many other corporations, during which work he located hundreds of miles of gas mains and supervised other engineering work. For the American Gas and Electric Company, in the Wheeling and Ohio district, he surveyed locations, and made plats and profiles of the company's high tension lines, which undertaking included power lines from Beech Bottom station, W. Va., to Canton, O.
Mr. Millar has served Ohio County as consulting engineer, and has been retained elsewhere extensively as engineer in general municipal projects and road work.
Mr. Millar is a member of the American Military Engineers and is a registered professional engineer of the State of West Virginia.
He married, in 1903, Miss Mary Kennedy of Wheeling, now deceased. He has two sons, Edward K. and John H., students of engineering at Notre Dame University, and a daughter, Mary K., attending St. Mary's College. Mr. Millar's office is at 1035 Main Street, and his home is in Park View.