From the Library of Linda Cunningham Fluharty:


HISTORY and
DIRECTORY
of the
TOWN OF TRIADELPHIA
                 Oldest Incorporated
Town in the State
of West Virginia

1829 - 1934

MAYOR WICKHAM

E. G. Wickham, Mayor of Triadelphia

AN APPRECIATION

The committee, under whose auspices this book has been issued, desire
to express their most sincere appreciation for the generous aid received
from their friends in supporting this book.

It is the purpose of this book to acquaint the people and friends of
Triadelphia with the history of their town.

We trust that the readers and patrons whenever possible will patronize
the advertisers in this program.

Sincerely yours,

E. G. WICKHAM, Mayor


TRIADELPHIA FIREMEN'S ANNUAL (1934)
 
Photos
 
APPOINTMENTS MADE BY CAPTAIN JOHN WISE
THE LAWSON HOUSE
THE SCHOOL BUILDING THAT WAS WASHED AWAY DURING THE FLOOD
THE I. O. O. F. HALL
TRIADELPHIA DISTRICT HIGH SCHOOL
M. E. CHURCH
THE TOWN'S FIRE TRUCKS
SCHOOL BUILDING RAZED TO MAKE ROOM FOR MODERN BUILDING
OLD "NUMBER ONE" - FIRST ELECTRIC STREET CAR IN TRIADELPHIA
THE FIRST GERMAN PARSONAGE & MINISTER
GOTTHOLD ROSENKRANZ (RT),INVENTOR OF 3-WHEEL CYCLE
NEW AND MODERN PUBLIC SCHOOL
LAST RESTING PLACE OF JOSIAH THOMPSON, 1ST MAYOR OF TRIADELPHIA
FRED KLEIN, ONE OF THE OLDEST RESIDENTS
CATHOLIC CHURCH
FROM THE GOVERNOR OF VIRGINIA TO JOHN WISE
AN OLD LANDMARK


A Short History of the City of Triadelphia

The recorded history of the Town of Triadelphia begins about the year 1800. Prior to this the site of the present town was wild, open country; the home of the slinking mountain lion, the fleet deer and the wily, woods-wise Indian.

No chronology of the Town itself could be complete without a glimpse into the early days of the settlement of the Upper Ohio Valley, because it is during the formative period of the civilization we now enjoy that we find the ultimate causes for the great Federal and State projects which finally gave birth to the Town of the Three Brothers.

Let us go back, then, to the time when the American Indian was the sole monarch of the Upper Ohio Valley.

Shortly after the half-way mark of the 18th Century, the Ohio Valley was a territory whose ownership was disputed by the greatest nations of the earth. It was a fertile country with great future possibilities and consequently was considered a prize by the whites.

England claimed ownership by virtue of a more or less tottery title bought from the Indians. France claimed ownership by right of discovery. Spain made claims based on the fact that Columbus had discovered America and the whole continent was therefore under the jurisdiction of the nation which had sent him on his successful voyage.

So it came to be that while only a scattered few hardy trappers and explorers had ever seen "La Belle Riviera" diplomats and statesmen in the old world held numerous meetings anent the ownership of the great land west of the Alleghenies. The truth of the matter was that claims to ownership, upon whatever right they were based, were worthless and in the vast wilderness west of the mountains, might made right and to the victor belonged the spoils.

It appears from the records that a few small expeditions had crossed the mountains from the sea-board settlements in the east, but the first accurate account of a white man descending the Ohio came as a result of an expedition headed by Bienville De Celeron. Celeron came down the Ohio with an armed force to claim the land adjacent to the river in the name of Sovereign France. This group of soldiers was sent out by the French Government to establish sites for future forts along the river. They carried with them engraved lead tablets which were buried in the ground at strategic spots with the hope that this metallic symbol of discovery would strengthen the claim of their nation to the land bordering on the Ohio.

De Celeron and his troop of armored soldiers buried one of these plates at the mouth of Wheeling Creek one spring day of 1749. And, though the plate has never been found, definite proof in the writing of the leader is to be found today in the archives of the Government of France.

England was not to be frightened away from the rest by a few leaden plates, however, and as early as 1753 we find that George Washington, then a boy of only twenty-one, was sent by the crown as envoy extraordinary to the French Forts near Lake Erie.

His report was unfavorable so in the next year he crossed the barrier of the Alleghenies for the second time and nearly reached the Ohio River. This time the youthful Washington was in command of "The Virginia Regiment" which was to establish an outpost at the confluence of the Monogahela and Allegheny Rivers at the present site of Pittsburgh. The expedition was destined to failure, however, as the French advanced to meet it and almost within sight of his goal, Washington was forced into battle and driven back to Fort Necessity where after a long fight he finally surrendered with the honors of war.

In 1758, George Washington, now a Lieutenant, was chosen to lead General Braddock overland to Fort Duquesne. The story of this ill-fated expedition is well known to all. Bull-dog Braddock would not listen to the young Virginian who so well knew the style of fighting in the wilderness. As a result Braddock and many of his regulars died on the field of battle and those who survived were led back across the mountains by Washington.

Later in 1758, Washington was again pressed into service to lead the Virginia vanguard of General Forbes successful attack on Fort Duquesne. This was the final stroke for England against French occupation of the West.

Lest all this story of Washington's expeditions may seem out of place in a history of Triadelphia, we will pause in our account for a moment to explain that it was definitely due to these expeditions of the young man who was to become the "Father of His Country" that the Town of Triadelphia owes its existence.

Washington knew the west and as soon as the French War was over he began to accumulate land in this area so replete with possibilities. As a nest egg he had promise of large acreage, given him by the Governor of Virginia for his part in the Fort Necessity Campaign. Other officers and the men who participated in this expedition also received large tracts, or rather promises of large tracts. Washington bought many of these promises from other survivors and added them to his already large holdings.

Things in the colonies were not running well at this time. The revolution was brewing and Washington's popularity made him more or less the center of activity. However, the lands given the soldiers of the Fort Necessity Campaign had not yet been apportioned to the men. Washington as the original leader of the expedition was asked by these soldiers to again go west to locate the land they owned. This he did, setting out for the Ohio in October of 1770.

On this trip, Washington traveled to Pittsburgh on horseback. There he left his horses and procured canoes. He descended the Ohio as far as the mouth of the Great Kanawha and ascended the Kanawha for several miles. He then returned to the present site of Pittsburgh and from there to his home in the east. The trip which today can be made in a few days by train and in one day by airplane, took Washington nine weeks and one day.

In the meantime, in 1769, the nucleus of the City of Wheeling was being formed. As was quite usual in those early pioneer days, the men of the Zane household crossed the mountains to took the new country over; chose the site of their residence; then returned for the rest of the family and brought them over the next year.

Colonel Ebenezer Zane followed the custom of the day and with only a few male companions crossed the mountains and continued on past the outposts on the Monogahela until he reached the valley of the Ohio. Historians are wont to rhapsodize on the Colonel's remarks as he reached the top of the last of many hills, to first gaze upon the broad Ohio. Whether this hardy pioneer waxed poetic from the summit of Wheeling Hill or not, we have no proof. In the light of logic, however, it seems probable that here he found fertile bottom land suited to his ideas of a place to settle. Before him was a river which it would have been difficult to cross. And, after weeks of the arduous mountain trail, it seems more likely that the decision to locate on the east bank of the Ohio was of practical origin rather than of poetic musing.

Be that as it may, Colonel Zane marked the spot and returned to bring his family to the present site of Wheeling in 1770.

In the early days of the settlement of the Ohio Valley the Indians were not particularly belligerent toward the whites. Not long after the first settlement in Wheeling, however, events transpired which tended to infuriate the red-skins.

Forts were few on the Ohio. Fort Pitt at the headwaters was, by 1774, a strong garrison. The fort at Redstone was also manned by a large number of soldiers. In districts removed from these forts, however, the settlers were forced to build their own private forts.

With Indian depredations growing more and more frequent, Colonel Zane decided that the little colony under his wing should have a strongly barricaded fort. So it was that Fort Fincastle was erected by the sturdy band of pioneers and it was well that this precaution was taken for within a few years the Indians rose in all their power to try to exterminate the whites who had braved the country west of the mountains.

There is little doubt in the light of present knowledge that the settlers were grossly at fault as far as the first of the Indian depredations were concerned. The whites had a contempt for the red-skins, and some of the early adventurers were not averse to murdering an Indian or two for the sport it afforded them. So it was small wonder that the Indians soon came to fear the invasion of this new people and eventually set out to wipe them from the face of the earth.

Most of the early "Indian fighting" history of Wheeling centers on this effort and culminates in 1777 when the Indians went on the warpath with a vengeance. So came the "bloody year of the Three Sevens", during which scarcely a clay passed that scattered survivors of some massacre did not come in from outlying cabins to tell horrible tales of the brutality of the Indians and to seek the shelter of the fort.

As a result of the success of scattered attacks on isolated cabins, the Indians became so emboldened that they finally attacked Fort Fincastle itself and it was only after several days of hard fighting that the red-skins were repulsed. During the siege, the cabin of Colonel Ebenezer Zane, located some distance from the stockade, was burned to the ground. After the failure of this attack the Indians did not attack the fort for several years.

During the Revolutionary War, England won the confidence of the Indians in one way and another and in the central west there was much fighting between the colonists and Indians under the direction of British agents.

It is readily realized that such strife on the border was not conducive to a general settlement of the country. Even hardy pioneers like the Wetzels who had built cabins in outlying districts were either murdered or moved into the protection of the forts and newcomers to the district immediately identified themselves with one of the strong forts. Conditions were worse than unsettled; they were dangerous even in the strong forts.

In 1782 the word came from the east that Cornwallis had surrendered at Yorktown and the war was over. So separated was the newly settled land west of the Alleghenies from the colonies in the east, however, that this was only a signal for renewed hostilities on the part of the British in the west. England may have lost dominion over the eastern seaboard, but there was still hope of saving the west for the mother country.

So it was that the last battle of the Revolutionary War was fought at Wheeling between Indians headed by Simon Girty, a renegade white, a few British regulars and the small body of men in Fort Henry. (Fort Fincastle had been re-named Fort Henry at the beginning of the war in honor of Patrick Henry, the patriot.)

During the siege of Fort Henry many famous historical incidents occurred. Betty Zane ran for more powder. Major McColloch made his famous leap from the top of Wheeling Hill to the creek below. But these great deeds of great people were actually at that time only contributing causes to the ownership of the central west by the thirteen original colonies; and of course the inclusion of the present Ohio County in Virginia and later in West Virginia.

The Battle of Fort Henry was the deciding factor in warfare in the central west. From the time of the successful defense of Fort Henry by Colonel Zane and his followers there is no record of Indian depredations. The Indians moved westward and the Valley of the Ohio was left to the sole occupation of the white settlers.

Then it was that the real settlement of the district began. Already there were forts in Western Pennsylvania and through the present counties of Brooke and Hancock, in West Virginia. As soon as the Indians had been definitely vanquished, the settlers who had taken refuge in these forts moved away from them and took up plots of land nearby. Then as more immigrants came from the East still more cabins appeared and gradually the country became settled.

George Washington, of course, had served as Commander in Chief of the Colonial armies during the Revolution and then he was elected the first president of the United States. When he took office as president of his nation, we are told that he was worth about a half-million dollars -- more than half of this consisted of land west of the Alleghenies. It is small wonder then that he was interested in the development of the central west. He saw at the outset that communication must be established between the eastern seaboard and the outposts; he realized that much of the future prosperity of the western country depended upon the Government's treatment of the Indians. He saw, perhaps better than any other statesman of his time that new states would soon be clamoring for admission to the Union; and lastly he realized that there must be a policy of public lands formulated so that the great central west could be settled legally and without bloodshed.

So it was that Washington's early tran-montane journeys influenced the policies of the early government and whether one wishes to lay his interest to selfishness or to genuine public spirit he was one of the foremost proponents of all things which had for their purpose the development of the west.

George Washington was the author of the road building movement which later resulted in the construction of the famous National Road from Cumberland to Wheeling and was consequently directly responsible for the Town of Triadelphia being formed in 1829. Triadelphia was the direct outgrowth of the National Road and much of its past and present prosperity has been due to the fact that it was located on this great road which had such an enormous influence on the development of western Virginia.

True it is that the road itself was not started until the administration of Thomas Jefferson but Thomas Jefferson was a disciple of Washington's and had his faith in the future of the west close at heart. He had vision to see that the development of this great treasure house of wealth and industry awaited only proper communication facilities to blossom forth in all its power. To have vision was not all that was needed, however, as it was also necessary to raise the money to build a road across the mountains; an item which presented political and economic barriers.

Thousands of dollars would be needed and it could be raised only in the east where the idea would be no doubt sturdily opposed. Albert Gallatin, then Secretary of the Treasury, finally proposed a plan which seemed practical. The people west of the Ohio River were clamoring for admission to the Union as a separate state. Gallatin proposed to let them in but to attack a proviso to their application that five per cent of the money received from the sale of public lands within the new state, should be used to build a road from Cumberland (the western terminus of the most western road of that day) to the Ohio River.

The State of Ohio was admitted by that proviso and by 1805 the munificent sum of $12,652.00 had been accumulated for the purpose of building a road one hundred and thirty miles long over the most rugged mountain country imaginable. The prospect was not alluring to the proponents of the first "good roads movements" but these pioneers rolled back their starched cuffs and laid siege to Congress. The result was that after much bickering, arguing and wind-jamming in the halls of Congress the backers of the project were permitted to begin a survey of the proposed route.

The results of the survey showed that the wild beast and the Indian were past masters in the art of blazing trails and that the shortest and easiest route was one used by Chief Nemacolin and his Indians over the mountains as far west as Washington, Pa. This was the route traversed by Washington and Braddock and was sometimes called Braddock's Road, a name by which it is known in some sections today.

After the survey it was obvious that the road would strike the Ohio River at some point between the settlement known as Steubenville and the mouth of Grave Creek (now the site of, Moundsville, W. Va.). The survey was accepted and work was begun on the National Road under an act of Congress dated 1806.

Wheeling was fast becoming an important commercial center during all this time. Immigrants from the east were wont to terminate their long trip over the mountains in Wheeling and either stay here or push on by boat down the Ohio. It was the end of the walk or horse-back ride and the beginning of the trip by water. Consequently it became a trading center where horses were bought and sold; where grain and whiskey were shipped; and where one could buy clothing or supplies of the sort needed in the backwoods.

The City of Wheeling had been incorporated in 1794 and already it was beginning to have its suburbs. Monument Place at Elm Grove was built by Colonel Moses Shepherd who had married Lydia Boggs, one of the survivors of the Battle of Fort Henry. Sometime later Josiah Thompson built the first permanent structure of the site of the present Town of Triadelphia and this building is today a part of the structure of the old Lawson Tavern on the north side of the road about the middle of the Town.

To return to the road, however, the fact that Congress had authorized the construction of the road did not solve everything. Engineering difficulties were numerous in the wild mountains of the Alleghenies but they were not nearly so serious as legislative troubles and the battles between persons and groups who, in the spot-light of historical research, appeared to sense the existence of such a thing as a "pork barrel" even in this early day.

When the time came that the site of the road west of Washington, Pa., must be decided upon, more dissention arose. Steubenville wanted it to meet the Ohio where that city was located. Moundsville lobbied, wheedled and exhorted that Grave Creek was the place for it to meet the river. Wheelingites, of course, did all in their power to bring it to their settlement. Stories are many why it came to Wheeling. One historian has intimated that a woman's smile has turned more than the course of roads in this old world of ours, and he may have been right. Certain it is that Henry Clay, on his many trips across the mountains, nearly always was a guest at "Monument Place". And on these visits, Col. and Mrs. Shepherd had great parties in his honor. As he was the most influential of the backers of the Old Pike, and as he was very popular among the young unmarried girls of the vicinity, it does not seem impossible that one of his enamoured was responsible for the road coming to Wheeling. Further proof that the young lady did not live far away from "Monument Place" comes to light when it is remembered that the original course of the Road was to have been on the north side of the creek to Elm Grove, but for some reason the "S" bridge was built so that it would pass the present site of the Thornburg farm.

Be that as it may, the Road was finally completed to Wheeling in 1818 and almost immediately the traffic on it not only justified the vision of those who made it possible but as well caused Taverns to spring up at intervals of only a few miles all along its 130 miles.

Two taverns came into being in Triadelphia. One was kept by John D. Foster at a very early day. It was a frame building on the North side of the road. The old Pike boys (wagoners and stage drivers) reported that it was one of the very best on the road and an old historian says of Foster, "He was courteous in deportment, given to hospitality and scrupulously observant of the proprieties of life." His daughter Mary Foster became the wife of C. S. Maltby the celebrated oyster dealer of Baltimore who became enormously wealthy in the oyster shipping business.

Colonel Thompson, who had built the first house in Triadelphia also operated a tavern in the Town at an early day. His tavern, latterly known as the Lawson House is still standing on the north side of the Old Pike near the center of the town.

Colonel Thompson was one of the incorporators of the Town of Triadelphia. Having come to Triadelphia as one of the contractors on the Old Pike, he early saw the possibilities of the spot for a town. Consequently as the population grew, due to the business brought by the Pike and the fact that the taverns here were the first Stage Stop out of Wheeling, he and some other of the older settlers decided to incorporate the Town.

Colonel Thompson offered the land necessary to the building of the Town and he and John D. Foster, together with one Amasa Brown, incorporated the. Town under an act of the Virginia Assembly, dated 1829. The Act follows:

CHAPTER 154 - An act establishing the town of Triadelphia, in the County of Ohio.
Passed February 7th, 1829

TOWN OF TRIADELPHIA

Established,
1. Be it enacted by the General Assembly, that a town laid off by Josias Thompson on his land in the County of Ohio, shall be, and same is hereby established as a town, by the name of Triadelphia, and that Josias Thompson, John D. Foster and Amasa Brown, be, and they are hereby appointed trustees thereof, who shall continue in office until the first day of April, eighteen hundred and thirty, and no longer unless re-elected.

2. "Empowered to Make By-Laws and Ordinances" - That the trustees of said town, or a majority, shall be, and they are hereby empowered to make such by-laws and ordinances for the regulation of the police, for regular building of houses therein, as to them shall seem best, and the same to amend, after or repeal, and enforce, and to settle and determine disputes concerning the boundaries of lots, streets and alleys in said town; PROVIDED, That such by-laws and ordinances shall not be repugnant to, or incon- sistent with the constitution and laws of the United States, or of this Commonwealth.

3. "Plat and Survey to Be Made" - That the trustees of said town, as soon as convenient, shall cause to be made a complete survey and plat of said town, with such remarks and explanations as they may think proper; which plat, with the remarks and explanations made, shall be produced to the County Court of Ohio County; and if approved by the court, they shall order their clerk to enter the same of record and after such plat shall be recorded, any true copy thereof, attested by the clerk, shall be read in evidence in any controversy relating to the boundary of any lot, street or alley of said town.

4. "General Law" - Be it further enacted, that so much of this act, entitled, "an act to reduce into one, all acts and parts of acts concerning the office of GENERAL LAW trustees or directors of the several towns within this Commonwealth, and for supplying vacancies in the same," as is of a public nature, shall be regarded as the law in relation to said town of Triadelphia, hereby established.

5. This act shall be in force from and after the passage thereof.


COMMENCEMENT

So it was that Triadelphia became the first Town to be chartered within the bounds of the present State of West Virginia. This charter originally granted was superceded by another issue by the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1840 and when the State of West Virginia was formed the Charter of 1840 remained valid except where it might conflict with the laws of the new state. As a consequence of this peculiar procedure, the Town of Triactelphia today, operates under a charter granted by the State of Virginia.

We can almost see the joy on the faces of these old Tavern Keepers when their Charter was granted them. The fruit of their labors was now recognized as an integral part of the Old Dominion. Their work had not been in vain.

The choice of a name for the town seems a bit ob- scure. The name comes from the Greek meaning "Three Brothers". As Colonel Thompson was the donor of the land for the new town and as he had three sons it seems reasonable that the name came from this source. It seems ironical that in those days sons were considered in so much more important a light than were daughters -- while even as it is today the women bore most of the burden. In the case of Colonel Thompson's family, the three brothers for whom the new town was named all moved away, and it remained for a daughter of a daughter of the Colonel's to return with her husband to conduct the old tavern in the last days of the glory of the Old Pike under the name, "The Lawson House".

The National Road was opened in 1818 and from that time until 1852 when the B. & 0. Railroad reached Wheeling it was the principle artery of transportation and travel between the east and the fast growing west.

Freight was hauled over the new road in Conestoga Wagons pulled by six and eight horses or several yokes of oxen. Travelers might ride their own horses or ride in stage coaches. Mail was carried by stage. Freight moved about thirteen miles a day and stages with passengers and mail ran on schedules of seventy miles, or about half the length of the road between dawn and dusk.

When evening came the wagoners would stop at one of the numerous Taverns which were situated at intervals along the road. Then came the time for good cheer. The Lawson House and Foster's Tavern in Triadelphia were this type of tavern. After a long hot or cold day on the road, (whichever might be the case) the wagoners would gather in the big "parlor" of the Tavern and spin yarns about their horses, the miles they covered or the weight they could pull.

Whiskey was the drink of the road. Ale was consumed in limited quantities, we are told, but beer as we know it today was not served at either the Taverns or the Stage Houses. Whiskey was sold at the Taverns in Triadelphia for three cents a drink. Supper could be obtained by the weary traveler for a "levy", a Spanish coin worth twelve and a half cents, and the morning bill of the wagoner with a six horse team did not exceed a dollar and seventy-five cents which included grain and hay for the horses, meals and lodging for the driver and "all the drinks we saw proper to take".

Some idea of the traffic on the road may be gained by the historian Searight's description: "As many as twenty four-horse carriages have been counted in line at one time on the road, and large broad-wheeled wagons, covered with white canvass stretched over bows, wagons, covere laden with merchandise and drawn by six Congestoga horses, were visable all the day long at every point, and many times till late in the evening, besides innumerable caravans of horses, mules, cattle, hogs and sheep. It looked more like the leading avenue of a great city than a road through rural districts."

Many of the greatest statesmen of the time passed over the old road when it was in its hey-day. Jackson, Harrison, Clay, Sam Houston, Polk, Taylor, Crittenden, Shelby, Allen, Scott, Butter, the eccentric Davy Crockett, and many of their contemporaries in the backwoods and the halls of government were familiar figures to those who dwelt by the side of the Old Pike.

As long as the Old Pike remained the artery of transportation and travel, Triadelphia was a mecca for travelers. But the great road was doomed to fall in the path of progress, for in 1852 the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad arrived in Wheeling and the glamor and utility of the old road fast passed away.

Triadelphia was never a manufacturing city, although at one time there was quite an extensive brick works in the town and it is interesting to know that bricks made here were used to build the old Sanitarium at Washington, Pa. Triacielphia was not destined for manufacture, however, and its growth, after a dormant period following the hey-day of the Old Pike was due almost entirely to the development of nearby coal fields. As the hills were tapped for the precious fuel, more and more people came to live in Triadelphia and the National Road was for years and years just a connecting link between towns along the route, and in many cases as in Triadelphia, served as main streets of the towns to which at one time it had given the sole right to existence.

With the coming of the automobile, however, the old road has once more come into it's own. Tourists of the world today ride over the old road through Triadelphia and now it Is not unusual for the ten gallons and a quart of oil purchased in the morning to exceed the $1.75 that the old Tavern Keepers at one time received for the "works".

Many of the names found in the early history of Triadelphia are still familiar in the oldest town in West Virginia. The Atkinson, Cracraft, Beagle, Dickenson, Sheridan, Lucas, Loomis, Lawson and Thompson families are still represented in the Wheeling district. All of them had a part in the early history of Triadelphia. They were hardy stock, good solid citizens, and now, 104 years after the Charter was issued to Josias Thompson, John D. Foster and Amasa Brown, they have gone down in history as men with vision and hope and faith in the future. It might be well for many of us today to emulate the example of these splendid men who founded our town; who gave their best that Triadelphia might become more than just a group of houses; more than a settlement; and would take its place in history and in the community that it rightly deserves.


TRIADELPHIA TOWN COUNCIL

The Triadelphia town council, which is elected every year; the present council is:
E. G. Wickham, Mayor
James Vance, Recorder
Robert Leybehyer, Treasurer
Fred Weiss
Fred Wagner
Walter Thomas

All the members, with the exception of Mr. Thomas, are serving their second term.

Fred Wagner, better known as "Dutch", is 52 years of age, married and has two children, was born in Triadelphia, and lived here all his life. He is in the grocery business.

Robert Leybehyer, better known as "Brownie", is 43 years of age, unmarried, lived in Triadelphia for twenty-seven years. He is a machinist.

Walter Thomas is 52 years old, married and has one daughter, has lived in Triadelphia for thirty-five years. He is in the bakery business.

Fred Weiss, better known as "Freddie", is 63 years old, unmarried, and has lived in Triadelphia all his life. He is a gardner.

James Vance is 66 years old, unmarried, lived in Triadelphia all his life. He has served as Town Recorder for twelve years. He is a carpenter by trade.

E. G. Wickham, better known to his friends as E. G., is 41 years old and the youngest member of the council. He was born and raised in Triadelphia, serving his second term as mayor of the town. Married and has two daughters. He is in the grocery business, operating stores in Triadelphia, Edgwood, Warwood, and the Wheeling Island.


TOWN MARSHALL

Louis Logomarcina - (PHOTO) - has served as Town Marshall for ten years, and as a county officer for thirty years. "Loggie", as he is better known by his friends, has made over 10,000 arrests and never once was forced to use firearms.

To "Loggie" also, goes the distinction of being the first motorcycle policeman in Wheeling, and in all probability in the entire state.

He was born in Wheeling in 1879. He received his early education at the Tenth Ward School.

He gave up his Town Marshall job on January 1, 1934, and Harold Price, who had been night sergeant, was appointed to take his place.

HAROLD PRICE

Harold Price, better known as "Red", is the Town Sergeant. He states he took oath to do his duty, and he means what he says. Three hours after he took his oath of office he made three arrests.


I. 0. 0. F. LODGE

It was in the year 1882, when six business men of the Town of Triadelphia, namely, -- Louis Wheeler, Frederick Klein, John Heffenbine, Joshua Echols, M. L. Shanks, and Henry Helfenbine, met at Louis Wheeler's Store to make plans to get a charter to start the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in the town.

The charter was applied for, and as the Grand Lodge did not meet until October, they were issued a special privilege charter which enabled them to go ahead and take in any members that qualified.

Some of the men that were taken in were: George T. Wickham, July 8, 1882; William Krumme, July 8, 1882; Louis Naumann, July 8, 1882; and William Wickham, August 12, 1882.

In October, 1882 the Grand Lodge issued the charter to the lodge to be known at Triadelphia Lodge No. 94 -- 1. 0. 0. F.

Of the six charter members there is just one left, Fred Klein, whose picture can be found elsewhere in this publication.

From its humble beginning the lodge has grown steadily. It now has thirty-eight Past Grand Members and ninety Scarlet Degree Members.

Has paid every just claim presented to it.

Has a "Rebekah Branh of Order" meeting in the same hall. Owns its own home. Has seen fifty-two years of faithful service in Friendship, Love and Truth.

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows is an American institution and is the strongest fraternal order in the world.

The first Lodge in this country was organized in April 26, 1819 at "Seven Stars Tavern" in Baltimore, Md. by Thomas Wildey and four other English Odd Fellows, receiving its charter from England.

Not many years later, emulating the course taken by "The Early Fathers", the American Lodges renounced their allegiance to the Mother Country, and ever since have been known as the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and now have branches in all parts of the world; sixty-eight Grand Lodges, over 18,000 Subordinate Lodges, 10,000 Rebekah Lodges, with a grand total membership of over two million, together with fifty-eight Grand Encampments and 3,377 Subordinate Encampments. They are all under the control and supervision of the Sovereign Grand Lodge.

A detailed statement of what the Lodges have done would fill many volumes and then much would be left unsaid.

The Odd Fellows Order has never yet been second to any other organization in its prompt giving of aid to any who may have been thus unfortunate.

All in all it's a great organization.

I. 0. 0. F. - F. L. T.- Friendship, Love, and Truth.
The present Officers of the Lodge are:
William Black.....Noble Grand
Henry Weeks.....Vice Grand
Charles Naumann.....R. S. of Noble Grand
Louis Fisher.....L. S. of Noble Grand
Albert Clark.....R. S. of Vice Grand
Brice Black.....Warden
Robert Leybehyer.....Conductor
George Weeks.....Chaplin
Curtis Naumann.....Right Scene Supporter
James Vance.....Degree Captain
Robert Delaney.....-Secretary
George Hill.....Treasurer

The regular meetings of the lodge are held on Tuesday evening of each week for the transaction of general business, and the hour of the meeting is 7:30 P. M. from October 1 to March 31, and at 8 o'clock from April 1 to September 30.


GERMAN CHURCH

A picture of the parsonage and part of the church building appears in this publication. Was formerly owned by the Methodist Episcopals. It was purchased in 1871 by Rev. Julius Fundenberg of Wheeling, who opened it in the cause of Lutheranism in the German tongue. The first minister was Rev. S. Thomas.


M. E. CHURCH

The early history of the M. E. Church can be given by tradition only, as there are no records to be found.

The first record of any organization was in 1830, when the meeting was held in a one and one-half story hewed log house occupied by a family by the name of Ross Ickabol at the west end of town. J. E. Sisson was appointed a steward at the age of eighteen years.

The first church building was erected in the late thirties. It was built of brick and situated on the back street adjoining the property of T. P. Hunter. This building was later sold to the German Lutherans for a church and the present M. E. Church was built in the year 1871. The property was purchased from the William Waddel heirs.

The first minister to occupy the new parsonage was Rev. Frank Ball. The first Sunday School superintendent was John Thornburg. Others were: Isac Benlly, William Alton, Dan K. Shields, and James West. John Thornburg died on what is now the Thomas Rine estate in Middle Wheeling Creek.

The present superintendent of the Sunday School is Perry Williams and John Besco is the assistant superintendent. The pastor is Rev. William Gilmore.

On October 25, 1899 a meeting was called by Mrs. W. S. Nicholson and the first Ladies' Aid Society was organized. Mrs. William Frazerand and Mrs. J. F. Weeks were appointed to order quilting frames.


ST. MARYS CATHOLIC CHURCH

In 1870 the first Catholic Church building was started in Triadelphia. It was to be made of stone, but was never completed.

It was in 1869, thru the efforts of Messrs. Weiss, Dice, Beltz, and Fisher that the first church was completed, to be known as St. Marys.

From the time this church was built the priests visited the place regularly twice a month from the Cathedral in Wheeling, until 1895, when Elm Grove and Triadelphia became one independent parish. In the year 1920 adjoining ground was purchased. After a struggle of many years trying to raise funds, the congregation in 1924-1925 erected the present new church composed of stoner tile, and brick, at a cost of over $45,000.

The church of Triadelphia, together with the Catholic Church at Elm Grove, are under one parish, namely, St. Vincent De Paul.

A picture of the present building is to be found in this publication.


CATHOLIC CEMETERY (1819)

The oldest sacred burial ground in this section of the country was founded by Irish workmen, who were then working on the old Cumberland Pike.

It is located on Chapel Hill Road in back of the Green Hotel lawn.

The ground on which it is located originally belonged to James Cragg, who took his claim of 400 acres on Little Wheeling Creek in 1776. This property was divided among his children and the grounds of the existing cemetery were left to his son, Andrew, by a will dated January 22, 1813.

This property was conveyed to Josiah Thompson, January, 1817, who donated it to the Archbishop of Baltimore by a deed dated September 28, 1826.

It is in this same cemetery that Josiah Thompson, the donater of the land, was laid to rest.

A picture of his grave will be found in this publication.


TRIADELPHIA SCHOOL

Triadelphia's first school was located in the west end of town. It was one of the buildings that was washed away in the flood of 1888.

Sarah Jane Herwig Armstrong was one of the teachers at that time.


TRIADELPHIA HIGH SCHOOL

Triadelphia High School, while not located in Triadelphia, has been a great benefit to the students of the town.

Mr. A. W. Curtis and Mr. J. V. Giffin can be given a great deal of credit for the magnificent building we now have. It was through their efforts that the first high school was established at Elm Grove in 1910. Mr. Curtis became principal and the only teacher of the student body of twelve members.

The school soon became a three-year high school and in April, 1913, a four-year high school was formed. In September, 116 students enrolled in the new quarters at Edgington Lane.

In the year 1919 the new building was completed for the growing student body at Oak Park. In 1924 a new Industrial Arts building was added.

It is a first-class high school and all academic credits given by it are recognized by colleges. They are N. C. A. members.

A picture of the school will be found in this publication.



The Town had its troubles too; below is an article taken from Mayor W. M. Hervey, docket dated September 24, 1892.

Town of Triadelphia - Versus - Charles Meyers

Arrest by John A. Barr, Town Sergeant.

"Charge" - Driving at a fast and reckless rate of speed through the Town, and abusing a team of horses.

The following witnesses were sworn and testified: John Morrison, William Springer, Claud Wright, J. A. Barr.

All the witneses testified that they saw the team running through the Town and team was not trying to run away. Both horses showed whip marks. Team was taken from driver and held.

The evidence clearly proving the charge, Mayor Hervey fined Meyers $5.00 and cost, a total of $8.25.

Signed, W. M. Hervey, Mayor



ORDINANCES

Some of the Town's ordinances, taken from their records, would look a little old-fashioned today.

Ordinance No. 11 reacts: It shall be unlawful for any person to feed or cause to be fed any corn, fodder, hay, or straw, on any street or alley, within the corporation.

Ordinance No. 94 reads: It shall be unlawful for anyone to roll a hoop or fly a kite within the corporation.

Ordinance No. 44 reads: It shall be unlawful for any person to lead, ride, or drive, any horse, mule, or ass, or to drive any cart, wagon, or carriage on any side walk in the town.


"CONSTANT HELWIG LEAVES ODD WILL"

Constant Helwig was born in Germany; after serving the alloted time in the army, became a professor in one of the leading universities.

He decided that there was something wrong with the form of government in his native country and did not hesitate to state the fact before the faculty of the college.

The Emperor heard of his statements and he was warned about his speech.

Helwig married a widow, Charlotte Zufehr, who had a boy named Gustave and had amassed considerable property and had an ample income.

The officials of Germany made it so cloudy for Helwig that he had to go in hiding.

He left Germany with just the clothes he had on his back and very little money.

After many hardships he arrived in New York. He learned in the meantime that his land and estate in Germany had been seized by the crown.

After some years of self denial he saved a modest sum of money and sent for his wife, who at once came to this country with the boy Gustave.

The three came to Triadelphia and purchased a farm from John Milligan. Two daughters were born to the couple, Caroline and Louise; the boy Gustave grew up with them. Hetwig followed the occupation of a farmer and rapidly amassed money. He rejoiced in the fact that he was in a free country.

Friends of the family state that the aged professor vowed that his relatives who lived in Germany should never handle a cent of his money and that none of his estate should ever go back to the old country. He stated he would draw up a will to prevent it.

And he did. The will provides that should all the family die intestate, without issue, the money and estate shall all go to the United States government.

The will was drawn up in 1870 and was probated a few clays after Helwig's death, August, 1884. It is one of the most unique ever recorded here. It can be found on pages 318-19-20-21-22-23, Will Book No. 6, in the County Clerk's office.

The following is a translation of some of the will: Last Will and Testament of Constant Helwig, in the name of God, amen. I, Constant Helwig, farmer, near Triadelphia, Ohio County, W. Va., of sound mind and memory and considering the uncertainty of this frail and tranistory life, make and declare the following to be my last will and testament.

Taxes due at my death or unsettled accounts (I have none at present.) I devise and bequeath my property, consisting of house and land, movable and immovable, money, capital as well as outstanding claims, gold, silverware, grain, straw, household goods, beds, linens, musical instruments, books and maps, and everything I have not given away or distributed in my lifetime.

The rest of the will tells to which one the different articles are to be given.

The witnesses to the will were August Ebeling and B. Kammer.

His farewell words: "Bury me on our own place in as simple manner as possible. A few good friends will help you. Instead of a cold tombstone, plant a forget-me-not on my grave and in your heart. Do not desert one another and assist each other even if sad days should come. Trust in God and good people. This is my last wish."


TRIADELPHIA LANDMARKS

Located on the lawn at Greens Hotel, which in the stage coach days was Lawson's Tavern, is a monument. This monument was carved out of stone which was to be used in the construction of a Catholic Church.

One of the first construction groups which came into the Panhandle in the early nineties to rebuild the National Road was composed of Irish Catholics and their camp was located at Triadelphia.

The monument was carved out by the men during their spare time as a token of appreciation to the priest who came from Pittsburgh at certain intervals, holding services in private homes.

A close up examination will reveal the monument to be a group of four angels, arms extended and faces lifted heavenward. Topping the group is a sphere. It's a great piece of handywork. Picture of the monument will be found elsewhere in this publication.


TAVERNS

Triadelphia had two taverns in the old days. One known as the Triadelphia House, which was operated by H. T. Weir; the other, the Lawson House, which is pictured elsewhere in this book. It seemed to be the most popular; it was operated by Mrs. Lawson and her two sons.


TRIADELPHIA BIOGRAPHIES

Mrs. Cecelia Lawson, whose husband, the late Francis Lawson, died April 21, 1878 in Triadelphia. Her maiden name was Loomis.

Josiah Thompson, grandfather of our subject, was one of the first settlers in the Town. He came here from Georgetown, D. C. He is buried in the Catholic cemetery at Triadelphia.


A. Vance was born in Ohio County in 1837. He was a carpenter and a contractor.

Mr. Vance married Isabella Clemens, daughter of Nicholas Clemens of Washington County, Pa.

John T. Carter, M. D., was born in Ohio County in 1850. He graduated at Princeton College, N. J. in 1871; read medicine with Dr. Stoer of Triadelphia; and graduated at the Ohio Medical College in 1874. In 1875 he went to Boston, Mass. as an assistant physician in the Boston Hospital. In 1879 he located in Triadelphia and he has been practicing here ever since.


FRED KLEIN

Mr. Fred Klein, whose picture appears elsewhere in this publication, is one of the Town's oldest citizens.

Mr. Klein came to Triadelphia at the age of nineteen, February, 1867. He married Annie Byard of Mannington, July 25, 1872.

They were blessed with six children; three boys and three girls.


FORMER MAYORS OF TRIADELPHIA

Josiah Thompson
Dave Armstrong
John Helfenbine
John T. Carter
John Weiss
August Ebeling
G. A. Kyle
T. L. Committee
H. C. Hunter
I. E. Garvin
Robert Armstrong
Arbie Creighton
U. M. Hervey
Jepson Nelson
A. C. Harrell
Albert Rust
E. G. Wickham (Present Mayor)



CIVIL WAR

During the Civil War, Company I, 24th Brigade, Third Division of the Virginia Militia, were camped here. They were in charge of Captain John Weiss. He was appointed by F. H. Peirpont, who was then Governor of Virginia. He received his commission on September 12, 1862.

Other commissioned officers in Company I were: James Harvey, Silas McCoy, Jacob Cruiser, Edward Atkinson, and William Butler.


THE 1888 FLOOD

July 18, 1888 is a day that some of the older residents of the town will never forget.

It was the day of the big flood when three people were drowned, several houses washed away, including the two-story frame school house that was situated in the West end of town, -the old flour mill, hoop factory, and the B. & 0. tracks.

The cloudburst swelled the little creek, usually a shallow rippling stream, into a raging torrent. The water roared down on Triadelphia and drove all the inhabitants to the hills.

The following day was a bright sunshiny day and hundreds of people came from Wheeling with clothing and shoes. There kindness is still remembered by many of the flood suffers.


SCALPED NEAR TRIADELPHIA

Below is a copy of the letter that was sent to the Editor of the Wheeling Intelligencer. This lady was a descendant of Rachel Grist, who was scalped near Triadelphia in 1777.

Matamoras, Ohio
May 9, 1874

Editor of Wheeling Intelligencer:

I can furnish you some information in regard to the Grist family. I am acquainted with all the particulars concerning the assault upon the youngest daughter, Rachel Grist, who had her skull fractured by a stroke with a war club.

She was also scalped and left for dead by the Indians.

She was shortly afterwards discovered by a company of pack horsemen under a tree about one-fourth of a mile from the National Road on what is now called Chapline Hill. The men put her on one of the pack horses and carried her to Fort Henry in Wheeling, where she received medical aid and recovered.

She later married Captain Henry Jolly; became the mother of five children, four sons and one daughter.

She died at the age of forty from the effects of the wounds received at the hands of the Indians; was buried in a cemetery on the Nicholas Wells farm in Tyler County.

Captain Henry Jolly was a citizen of Grand View Township, Washington County. He served as justice of the Peace for several years, was judge of the Common Pleas Court of Washington County, and also represented Washington County in the legislature. He later moved with his daughter to Licking County, Ohio and died at an advanced age.

This is my own recollection; I am seventy-nine years old and am a daughter-in-law of Captain Henry Jolly.

Elizabeth Jolly,
New Matamoras, Ohio


STREET CAR

The first electric street car was run to Triadelphia in the fall of 1891.

The motorman was Paul Mink. Passengers: Father Pacquin, Mr. Brown, Mr. Dow, Annie Fisher, and Lizzie Flaccus.

SLAVES

Below is a copy of the receipt which was made out to James Wells, who was one of the town's old settlers:

1789, James Wells, Bought of John Wells, October 20th.
1 Negro Boy, named Dick--------------90 Pounds
1 Negro Girl, named Polly--------------60 Pounds
3 Feather Beds------10 Pounds
1 Wagon-----------10 Pounds
Total= 170 Pounds

Received October 20, 1789, of James Wells, the sum of One hundred and seventy pounds, its being full satisfaction for the above amount, and pay received by John Wells.


TRIADELPHIA FIRE DEPARTMENT

Triadelphia's first fire department dates back to the year 1875, when the first bucket brigade was organized. Some of the old members are still living and often gather around the large stove at the city building and tell of their experiences. Some of the members of the "bucket brigade" were Joe Burrows, Will Wagner, Silas Birch, Fred Weiss, and others. The first truck purchased by the fire fighters was in 1912, with chemical tanks and a V. K. pump. This machine was traded in later on a more up-to-date apparatus.

The boys now have a large Hudson equipped with the chemical tanks and a Ford with the pumps and place to carry the hose. With the pump attachment water can be pumped from the creek or any of the wells in the town, where the wells are located in a place where the truck can get to. The boys have had several wells dug at different places in the town for protection.

The fire alarm or siren is located on the roof of the city building, and all Volunteers turn out whenever it is blown. It is also used for a "curfew" at 8 o'clock every night.

The boys have been called out forty-three times in the year just passed, and eighty percent of the calls have been for the districts outside the town limits.

In several instances the damages would have been great if it had not of been for the Volunteers.

It has also reduced the fire insurance rates for the property holders of the town.

All in all, we have a first-class Volunteer Fire Department and are proud of it.

The profit that is made on this publication will be used to buy new hose and equpiment.

The officers in charge of the department are: Jepson Nelson, Chief; Fred Weiss, Assistant; William Green, Assistant; Joe Wickham, Secretary; Martin Wagner, Treasurer; George Hill, Robert Marshall, and Robert Leybehyer, drivers.

Pictures of the trucks will be found elsewhere in this publication.

JAMES VANCE INSTANTLY KILLED

As this publication goes to press, James Vance the Towns Recorder and always a leader in everything that would be a benefit to the town and Fire department was struck by a B & 0 engine near his home and was instantly killed. Mr. Vance was born in Triadelphia, he had been the towns recorder for ten years. He was 67 years of age.


Directory of the Town of Triadelphia

Acker - Mr. Mike
Mrs. Bertha

Ackman - Mr. Tony
Mrs. Anna
Anna, Nellie

Anclerson - Mrs. Carrie
Russel

Armstrong - Mrs. Sarah

Barnes - - Mr. Tom
Mrs. Bessie
Mae

Beaman - Mr. Samuel
Mrs. Ethel
Alvie, James, Betty, Sarah, Bessie

Beuick - Mr. Steve
Mrs. Martha

Black - Mrs. Mary

Black - Mr. William
Mrs. Anna
Mary Anna, Beulah, Martha Lee, Ronald

Buffington - Mr. Richard
Mrs. Charlotte
Dick

Burdett - Mr. Frank
Mrs. Mollie
Sue

Campbell - Mr. John, Sr.
Mrs. Mary
John, Jr., Jean, James, Mary Ellen

Carpenter - Mr. William
Mrs. Catherine

Carter - Dr. John T.
Mrs. Hattie
Grace

Catadoris - Mr. Steve

Colves - Mr. Anglo
Mrs. Olga
Mary, Betty, Helen, Anna, Jane

Conaway - Mr. Andrew
Mrs. Ruby
Johnnie

Craig - Mr. Huber
Mrs. Bertha Lee
Brice, Bertha

Creighton - Mr. John
Mrs. Lillie
Chester

Dajchak - Mr. Kasmir
Mrs. Blanche
Stella L., John L., Andy L., Violet Ann L., Walter, Blanche, Edward, Alice Lee

Dobrzynski - Ed
Mrs. Velma
Emma Lou, Anna Dolores

Dusch - Mrs. Angeline
Elwood, Cecelia, Angelia, Regina

Fisher - Mr. & Mrs.
Alberta

Gaudino - Mr. Dominick
Mrs. Anna
Nick, Johanna

Gilmore - Rev. William
Mrs. Stella

Green - Mr. William

Harvilla - Mrs. Mary

Harvilla - Mr. Steve
Mrs. Helen
Mary, Joe, Mike, Andy, Frances

Harvilla, Mr. Jack
Mrs. Rosie

Helfenbine - Mr. John
Mr. William
Miss Katherine

Herwig - Mr. William

Hill - Mrs. Katherine

Hill - Mr. George
Mrs. Laura
William, Eugene, Bobby

Homan - Mr. George
Mrs. Ida
Cletius, Harry, Junior, Jean Louise

Hunley - Ray
Mrs. Evangeline
Wilbur, Rebecca

Hunter - Mr. Frank
Mrs. Pauline
Edna, John, Aldwin

Hunter - Mr. Raymond
Mrs. Nellie
Albert Aidwin

Johnson - Mr. Thomas
Mrs. Isabelle
Virginia

Kavochivich - Mr. Joe
Mrs. Rose
Eli

Kayuha - Mr. Joe, Sr.
Mrs. Bertha
Joe, Jr., Frank, Alex, Charles, Bertha

Kesler - Mr. Pete
Mrs. Frances
Carl, Doma, Ann, Jack, Mary Virginia

Kirkland - Mr. Frank
Mrs. Juna

Klein - Mr. Fred
Mrs. Annie

Kniska - Mr. George, Sr.
Mrs. Helen
Mary George, Jr., John, Betty, Mildred

Kniska - Mr. John, Sr.
Mrs. Helen
Anna, Ella, Mary Jane, John, Jr.

Kochy - Mr. Gaze
Mrs. Lena
Mary, Violet, Gaza, John

Lavinsky - Mr. John
Mrs. Laura
Barbara Lee

Lee Mr. Alex
Mrs. Lenora
Junior

Lewis - Mr. Oscar
Mrs. Margaret
Katherine, Helen, William

Leybehyer - Mr. Robert

Lier - Mr. John
Mrs. Stella

Lockmer - Mr. Steve
Mrs. Rose
Mary, Katherine, Joe Steve

Loy - Mr. Robert

Lucas - Mr. Ben
Mrs. Margaret

Lydic - Mr. John
Mrs. Gertrude
Mildred, Esther

Lydic - Mr. William
Mrs. Bertha

Marshall - Mr. Robert
Mrs. Daisy
Katherine, Betty Lou, Marion

McClure - Mr. John
Mrs. Gertrude
Jack, Esther

McCoy - Dr. Arley V.
Mrs. Agnes
Arley Paul, Mildred

McCoy - Mrs. Minnie

Medlin - Mrs. Marguerite
Leah, Dorothy, James

Michael - Mr. Albert
Mrs. Roxie
Alberta, Dennis

Miller - Mr. Frank, Sr.
Mrs. Elizabeth
Frank, Jr., Steve, Elizabeth, Helen, Mary Ann

Miller - Mrs. Anna

Montalbano - Mr. Joe
Mrs. Angeline
Frank, Mary, Elizabeth, Anna, August

Moore - Mr. Howard

Moran - Mr. Charles, Sr.
Mrs. Alice
Robert, Edna, John, Charles, Jr., Dorothy, Wavel

Moxley - Mr. Harlan
Mrs. Mary
John

Nelson - Mr. Jepson
Mrs. Dora
Robert, Lawrence, Pauline, Joseph, Dorothy, Helen, Wanda, Jepson, Jr.

Nemeth - Mr. Steve, Sr.
Mrs. Mary
Marietta, Frank, Steve, Jr.

Neuhard - Mr. Harry
Mrs. Elizabeth
Helen M.

Onifer - Mrs. Mary

Opperman - Mr. Roy
Mrs. Clara
Kenneth

Otto - Mr. Louis
Mrs. Amelia
Otto - Miss Sophia

Pap - Mr. John

Pascaria - Mr. James

Pavlina - Mr. John
Mrs. Helen
Joe, Helen, Steve, Andy, Johnnie, Delores, Mike, Lewis, John, Mirda

Pestinger - Mrs. Elizabeth

Peterman - Mr. John
Mrs. Cora
Willard

Plaverick - Mr. James, Sr.
Mrs. Anna
James, Jr.

Presley - Mr. James, Sr.
Mrs. Minnie
Mary, James, Jr., Hazel, Lawrence

Wagner - Miss Mary

Wallace - Miss Agnes

Wallace - Mr. Charles
Mrs. Marie
Nelda June, Lois Jean

Walton - Mr. Ray
Mrs. Elizabeth
Joe, Delmar, James, Joby, Annabelle

Weiss - Mr. Fred

White - Mr. Robert
Mrs. Lillie

Whitecotton - Mr. Harry, Sr.
Mrs. Bessie
Henry, Jr., Betty, Laverne, George, Jr.

Wickham - Mr. Edwin G.
Mrs. Olive
Sarah E., Marion

Price - Mr. Harold
Mrs. Eleanor
Eleanor

Remick - Mr. John
Mrs. Mary
Adolph, Carl, Joe

Rust - Mr. Albert
Mrs. Hattie
Otto, Lois

Rust - Mr. Louis

Rohland - Mr. Henry

Mrs. Mamie
Evelyn, Junior, Eugene

Senkbeil - Mr. Herbert
Mrs. Alma

Signorelli - Mr. Francis
Mrs. Julia
Billie

Signorelli - Mr. Eugene
Mrs. Doris

Sipos - Mr. Joe
Mrs. Rose
John, Steve, Mary

Smith - Mr. Thomas
Mrs. Ida
Anna, Paul

Thomas - Mr. Walter

Thompson - Mr. William
Mrs. Nannie

Turkalay - Mr. George
Mrs. Mildred
George, Jr., Lucy, Joe, Johnnie, Matt, Anna

Turkalay - Mr. Joe
Mrs. Katie
Mary

Vance - Mr. James
Mr. John
Miss Mary
Mrs. Emma Vance Burrows

Wagner - Mr. Fred
Mrs. Anna
Helen

Wiley - Mr. Elmer
Mrs. Margret
Clarence, Jacob, Catherine, Walter, May, James, Margret, Ellen, Arthur

Yuhana - Mrs. Mary

Yuhass - Mr. John
Mrs. Elizabeth
Charles, John, Jr.

Armstrong - Mr. and Mrs.

Bell - Mr. S.
Margaret, Clara, Virginia, Faris, John, Jane

East End

Dimmack - Mr. and Mrs. M. P.

Earp - Mrs. Alma

Eimer - Mr. and Mrs. John

Eimer - Mr. and Mrs. Frank

Forbe - Mr. and Mrs. L. P.

Green - Mr. Robert

Hervy - Mr. and Mrs. Lenard

Imhoff, Miss Emma

Jackson - Mr. and Mrs. James
Madyln

Jackson - Mr. and Mrs.

Krumme - Mr. and Mrs. William
Ray, Ralph, Ross, Nell Katherine, Margaret Merse

Logamarcino - Mr. Louis

Marshall - Mr. and Mrs. Joseph
Dorothy, Harriet

McKee - Mrs. Frances
Florence, Edward

Naumann - Mr. and Mrs. A. T.
Martha Rose, Robert

Naumann - Mr. and Mrs. C. B.
Roseanna, Charles, Melva, Vaughn, Darlene, John Edward

Naumann - Mr. and Mrs. C. R.
Carolyne, Ella, Claudia, Sylvester, Hanna Rose

Naumann - Mr. and Mrs. H. W.
Grace, Catherine

Paull - Mr. and Mrs. Carl
David, Karl, Raymond

Ramsey - Mr. and Mrs.

Rice - Mr. and Mrs. C. H.

Sligar - Mr. and Mrs. Thomas
James, George

Weeks - Mr. and Mrs. Henry

Weeks - Mr. and Mrs. Ross
Sarah Katherine

Weeks - Mr. and Mrs. W. B.
Edward

Wendell - Miss Sophie

Wendell - Miss Emma

White - Mr. and Mrs. Crawford
Harry

Wilson - J. R.

Wickham - Sarah

Wickham - Joseph

Wickham - Beverly

Wickham - Carter


SPONSORS LISTED IN THIS PUBLICATION

Wheeling Electric Company
Kelly Auto Wreckers - Martins Ferry
Pennant Capital Soda Crackers, baked by FELBER Biscuit Co., Columbus, OH
The Men's Shop, 1066 Market St., Wheeling
Bodey Funeral Home, Chapline & 22nd St., Wheeling
Ott Heiskell Co., 86 19th St., Wheeling
Holderman Motor Sales, 53 Marshall St.
Elm Grove Building Material Co., Vincent Vercellotti, Pres.
Pollack's Mellow Crown Stogies
Belmont Brewing Co., Martins Ferry, Ohio
Sunshine Crispy Crackers, Loose-Wiles Biscuit Company
Spears Bros., Fleetwing Gasoline
I. O. O. F. Lodge
Simon White & Sons Monuments, Wheeling
Snyder Hardware Co., Elm Grove
Fischer's Milk, Chaple Hill Dairy, Triadelphia
Forshey Dairy, Stone Church Road, Elm Grove
Crider Bros. Funeral Directors, 107 Key Ave., Elm Grove
Union Bus Terminal, 16th & Market Streets
T. T. Hutchinson Co., Inc. Garage Equipment
Tri State Pipe Co., Bellaire, Ohio
E. L. Taylor Contractor Brick-Tile, 2801 Wood Street
Joseph C. Burkhart, Chief of Police, Wheeling
Chas. Norteman's Meat & Sausage Products, Jacob at 43rd St., Wheeling
The First National Bank & Trust Co., Elm Grove
Geo. H. Seibert's Restaurant
Litman's Freight Express Line, 36 27th St., Wheeling
Frank J. Hathaway, Jr. Transfer, Bellaire, Ohio
McCurdy Monument Works, 2826 Chapline Street
Butler Florist, 2346 National Road, Elm Grove
Weimer Packing Co.
Wheeling Quality Laundry
Keller Lumber Company
J. K. McLaughlin, Justice of the Peace, General Insurance, Elm Grove
V-G Electric Company, National Road-Glenwood, Wheeling
C. J. Dickman Transfer, 15 - 14th St.
Elm Grove Milling Company, 314 National Road, Elm Grove
Myers Bros. Ice and Coal Co.(W. E., R. L., & G. L. Myers)
Snedeker's Blue Bonnet Dairy
Zane Cleaners
Warwood Transfer Co.
Altmeyer & Sons Funeral Directors, Eoff St., Wheeling
Karl G. Sailer, County assessor
Bakers Club of Wheeling and Vicinity
Liberty Dairy Products Co., 29 Marshall Ave., Elm Grove
Herman Strauss Iron & Steel Scrap & Metals, 35th & McColloch Street
Showers Hardware Co, 309 National Road
H. L. Seabright Co. Builders Supplies, 43rd & McColloch Steet
Burkham's Home Made Ice Cream, Burkham Court
Hygrade Food Products Corporation
O. L. Hadorn Motorway Express, 1521 Wetzel Street
B. I. Irwin Tent Awnings, Elm Grove
Clarke Paper Company, 1210 Main Street, Wheeling
Shroeder Casket Company, 2607 Chapline Street
C. A. Robrecht Company ("Eat Fresh Fruits & Vegetables for Vitamins, Vigor, Vim)
White Swan Laundry, Thedah Place, Woodsdale
Klieves Lumber Company, 31st & Eoff Sts., Wheeling
Cloverdale Dairy Co., 57-17th Street, Wheeling
F. Schmeichel & Son Furniture-Funeral Directors, Chapline St, Wheeling
Abrose Habig
Albert E. Games Transfer & Moving, Moundsville
Wheeling Linen Supply, Thedah Place, Woodsdale
General Baking Co.
P. H. Butler Co. Grocers
Warwood Dairy, 94 North 19th Street
The Schick Coal Co., Bellaire
Kindleberger-Wood Funeral Home, 148-16th St., Wheeling
Griest Cut Rate - Wheeling, Moundsville, Wellsburg
The R. G. Hobbs Lumber Co., 19th & Eoff, Wheeling
Robert's Woodsdale & Alamo Gas Stations
Pittsburgh Wheeling Warehouse Co., Inc., Main Street
Wheeling Pure Milk Co., Grandview Street
R. C. Williams Coal Co.
Wheeling Wholesale Grocery Co., 2001 Main St., Wheeling
Levin Auto Parts, 2262 Main Street
Olmstead Brothers Co. Paper, 1413-1415 Main St., Wheeling
W. A. Hannig Transfer and Storage Co., 2849 Moyston St.
Roth Bros., Inc. Wholesale Grocers, 222 Fulton, Wheeling
Ohio Valley Dairy
Blake's Pure Ice Cream, 93-16th St., Wheeling
John G. Wenzel Co. Meat Packers, 4320 Jacob St., Wheeling
A. H. Walter Moving-Storage, 1152 Water St., Wheeling
West Virginia Burial Vault Co., 419 Fulton St., Wheeling
Wheeling Warehouse & Storage Co., 1716 Chapline St.
Hitchman Coal and Coke Co.
Nassif Candy Co., 2006 Main St., Wheeling
Christian Steinmetz & Sons Co. Paper Boxes & Printing, 25th & Wood, Wheeling
Price Garage, Harold Price, Prop., Triadelphia
E. G. Wickham I.G.A. Food Market, Triadelphia
Steve Nemeth Meat Market, Triadelphia
Wagner's General Store, Triadelphia
McClure Tonsorial Parlor, Triadelphia
Lodge Bros. Transportation Co., St. Clairsville, Ohio
Triadelphia Bakery, D. Gavdino, Prop.
The United Dairy Co.
W. A. Wilson and Sons, 1409-11-21-23-25 Main St.
Robert Lebeyher Auto Repairs & Electric Welding, Triadelphia
Steve Katsadoros Importing Grocer, Triadelphia
Pittsburgh Melting Company, Herrs Island, Pittsburgh, Penna.
Wilber R. Games Transfer & Storage Co., 33 Fostoria Ave., Moundsville
Wheeling Motor Express, Louis Grimm, Prop.
Producers Milk Co.
Dairy Products Co., Harry W. Duncan, Mgr, 20th & Eoff, Wheeling
National Auto Service, 506 National Rd., Wheeling
Geo. W. Neuhard, Cash Meat Market, 437 National Rd., Elm Grove
H. L. Ziegenfelder Dairy, 106 Zane Ave.
George N. Ashton Service Station, West Alexander, Penna.
Continental Baking Products, 2200 Main Street, Wheeling
The Fabric Fire Hose Company, Harry Sutphen, Columbus, Ohio
Zarnit Bros. Distributors (I.G.A. Food Products)
Natural Gas Company of W. Va.
Elm Grove Mining Company



BACK