HARRY A. WEISS, WHEELING
From: West Virginians
Published by The West Virginia Biographical Association, 1928
Submitted by Linda Fluharty.
Harry A. Weiss took office on July 2, 1927, as United States Marshal, with offices in the Federal Building, Wheeling, W. Va., resigning at that time his seat in the Legislature of West Virginia, which he had filled with distinction for more than a decade.
Mr. Weiss was born in Marshall County, W. Va., April 23, 1884, son of Fred J. and Caroline (Long) Weiss, and attended public schools and Wheeling Business College. In early life he was engaged as a mill worker, remaining for a number of years in that occupation. At the same time he became known in Wheeling and Ohio County as an individual thinker, a man of active tendency who could accomplish things and whose opinions compelled respect, as being opinions with a definitely constructive value to the community if given right opportunity and judicious support. Thus, in 1912, when he came up for election to the State Legislature from Ohio County he was already a popular figure, supported alike because of his fine personal qualities as for his capacity for achievement. Since 1912 Mr. Weiss served continuously until his resignation in 1927, with the exception of the 1923 session. In the legislature he was consistently looked to for leadership in important questions and was never found wanting in emergency. In 1925 he was the ranking member of the Committee on Labor, and on various occasions served on the committees on taxation, finance, claims and grievances and mines and mining.
During the World War Mr. Weiss was among the leaders in promoting the various campaigns to sell Liberty Bonds, War Savings Stamps and other drives, having served on civilian committees in charge of that work.
He was married, in 1911, to Clara Mulley of Wheeling. Their children are: Gilbert, Ben and Fred.
Home: 3730 Wood Street. Office: Federal Building.