WILLIAM PANNELL WILSON, WHEELING
From: West Virginians
Published by The West Virginia Biographical Association, 1928
Submitted by Linda Fluharty.
William Pannell Wilson, an outstanding leader in the business, industrial and civic affairs of Wheeling is properly recognized as a community builder who has accomplished much permanent good.
Mr. Wilson was born in Wheeling, January 6, 1872, the son of the late William Alexander and Texana (Arndt) Wilson. He was educated in the Wheeling public schools, and in 1896 became a partner in the W. A. Wilson and Sons Company, the largest builder's supplies firm in West Virginia, handling mill work, paint, and lumber. Mr. Wilson is now head of this firm and has also been president of the Wholesale Sash and Door Association of Chicago.
The W. A. Wilson and Sons Company is one of Wheeling's institutions, Mr. W. A. Wilson having been one of the principal figures in the manufacturing, commercial and banking development of this section, as well as a gentleman held in the highest esteem by the thousands who knew him. Mr. W. A. Wilson was a 33 degree Scottish Rite Mason and was distinguished also in the social life of this community.
Mr. W. P. Wilson is president of the Ohio Valley Industrial Corporation, which has been instrumental in helping many of the industries of this section and bringing large new organizations to the Wheeling district. Included in the latter are: The Fokker Airplane Corporation, the Sport Clothing Company, the Artcraft Metal Products Company. Mr. Wilson has beaded the Ohio Valley Industrial orporation since its organization and is also vice-chairman of the Wheeling Park Commission. He is a director of the Ohio Valley General Hospital, also National Bank of West Virginia at Wheeling, and the Wheeling Bank & Trust Co., and for several years was president of the Associated Charities of Wheeling. No worthy movement of industrial or civic betterment has ever failed to receive the staunch support of Mr. Wilson. He has always given most liberally of his time, his means and his recognized powers of leadership.
Mr. Wilson is a member of the Fort Henry Club, the Wheeling Country Club, and the Metropolitan Club of Washington, D. C. He is a Presbyterian, an Independent in politics, and a Mason.
On October 18, 1898, Mr. Wilson was united in marriage to Miss Helen Taylor Wright. They have two sons, George T., associated in the firm of W. A. Wilson and Sons, and Wm. P. Jr., who at present is a student at the Gilman Country School at Baltimore, Md.; and one daughter, Miss Ellen Wright Wilson.
Mr. Wilson's home is in Highland Park, and his offices are at 1409 Main Street, Wheeling, W. Va.