War of 1812
Jim Ruckman & Jim Hooper, Descendants
WAR OF 1812 MARKER
NOV. 11, 2002
Welcome - Jim Ruckman - Descendant
Speech - Mary Lamp - Descendant
Unveiling of marker - Jim Ruckman & Jim Hooper - Descendants
Veteran's Service and Rifle Salute
AMVETS Post 40, VFW Post 222, American Legion Post 79
Taps - Clarence Janes
Bagpipes - Wesley Riggs
Benediction - Ralph E. Wilson - Descendant
Reception - Zoar Baptist Church Fellowship Room
RALPH WILSON, VETERAN OF THE WAR OF 1812
By Mary Rea Lamp
Descendants of Ralph Wilson
We have gathered here today to honor Ralph Wilson, Veteran of The War of 1812. Many of you, like myself are descendants of Ralph Wilson and his wife Mary.
The planning of this ceremony began at the 2001 Pleasants County Historical Society Picnic, when Jim Ruckman and I became aware there was no marker on the grave of Ralph Wilson. We shared our concern with another descendant, Jim Hooper. Thus began the process of obtaining a proper War of 1812 marker from the U.S. Government and the planning of today’s dedication.
Family research gives us the following. Ralph Wilson was the son of James and Elizabeth Wilson and Grandson of William and Mary Wilson and Abraham Hempinstall and his wife. These families appear in Augusta County, Virginia records as early as 1750.
Ralph was married first to Nancy Welch, by whom he had a son, James and second to Mary Oliver, who is also buried here, by whom he had ten children. Six of their seven sons have been identified, Charles, Eli B., John, William L., Newman, and Alfred, but the names of the three daughters has not been proven.
About 1820 Ralph came to Washington District, Wood County, VA and settled on a bottomland farm near St. Marys. Ralph’s son Eli B. remembered when there was one house in St. Marys and saw the first steamboat that came up the Ohio River.
In 1845 Ralph purchased 122 acres of land on McKim Fork of Middle Island Creek from James M. Stephenson. This land was transferred by deed to son Newman and by him to John Coen. Later this tract was owned by Andrew Shingleton and now belongs to Jim Hooper.
In a sworn statement before the Court of Pleasants County, Ralph Wilson states that he volunteered at Pendleton County on or about the 18th. day June 1813 for the term of the said war, as a Pvt. in Capt. John Bodkin’s Company and was honorably discharged at Moorefield, Hardy County, Virginia on the first week in March, 1815. Ralph was granted Land Warrant #30049 of 160 acres, which he sold in 1857 to John Logan of Palmyra, MO.
With the placing of this marker today, we preserve a part of our Country and County’s history and the War of 1812 service of Ralph Wilson, for the generations who follow.