HEINRICH BAUMGARDNER FAMILY
MARY L. LAMP - SEPTEMBER 29, 2002
PLEASANTS COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY ANNUAL PICNIC
Baumgardner Family Timeline
I. Heinrich Baumgardner born Weiach, Zurich Canton, Switzerland
A. 1695 - Heinrich born in Weiach, Zurich Canton,
II. Heinrich Baumgardner immigrates to America.
A. 1743 - Heinrich "Henry" Baumgardner at age 48 emigrated to
America on the ship Francis and Elizabeth, August 30, 1743. 2
III. Henry Baumgardner in Lancaster County, PA.
A. 1744 - Henry married Mary Balzer, daughter of Jacob
Balzer of East Hempfield Township, Lancaster County, PA.,
about 1744. Henry built a home on Conestoga Creek near the
B. 1775 - Balzer Baumgardner purchased a tract of land from
Abraham Latcha, Lancaster County, PA. 4
C. 1776 - Baltser Baumgartner and Adam Baumgartner are listed
as privates in "A Muster Roll of Captain Thomas Koppenheffer's
Company of Militia of Colonel Timothy Green's Battalion of
Lancaster County on their March for the Camp in The Jerseys."
Advance money paid 12 Aug 1776. 5
IV. Balzer Baumgardner migrates to Augusta County, VA.
A. 1797 - Balzer Baumgardner received 243 acre land grant on
Naked Creek, Augusta County, VA. 6
B. 1819 - Balzer Baumgardner died intestate on Rennick's Run,
Botetourt County, Va. Leaving his widow Mary Magdalene and
eleven children. The appraisement and settlement of
Balzer's estate was recorded in Botetourt. 7
C. 1833 - Mary Magdalene Baumgardner dies in Wythe County, VA.8
V. Adam Bumgardner born in Pennsylvania migrated to Augusta, Bath
and Harrison Counties, Virginia.
A. 1801 - Adam Bumgardner married Mary Gibson, daughter of
David Gibson in Augusta County, VA, May 29, 1801. 9
B. 1810 - Adam and Mary Bumgardner listed on 1810 Census of
Bath County, VA., 2 sons and 1 daughter. 10
C. 1850 - Adam age 73, Farmer, born in PA wife Mary age 69
born in VA., living in Harrison County, VA. 11
VI. John Bumgardner born in Bath County, Virginia migrates to Tyler
and Pleasants Counties, in VA.
A. 1823 - John Bumgardner married Susan Woods in Bath County,
Va., November 12, 1823. 12
B. 1850 - Bumgardner, John - age 46, Farmer born VA., Susan-
age 50 born VA., Children all born in Virginia: James age
24, Adam age 22, Samuel age 20, Mary age 18, Sarah age
16, George age 14, David age 10, Malinda age 10, John age 7. 13
C. 1853 - Susan dies in Pleasants County and is buried in
Highland Cemetery, Ritchie County, WV. 14
D. 1855 - John marries Margaret Shiplet in Harrison County,
WV. John and Margaret are buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery,
Ritchie County, WV., no names or data on marker. 15
VII. Adam Bumgardner born in Bath County, VA., migrates to Tyler, to
Pleasants and Ritchie County, WV.
A. 1851 - Adam Bumgardner marries Margaret Ann Jordan,
daughter of John Jordan in Harrison County, VA., November 25,
B. 1862 Civil War - Co. F , 14th. Reg't. WV Inf. - Adam
Bumgardner, Private, Mustered in August 30, 1862 at
Wheeling, WV., promoted to Corporal, April 6, 1863, mustered
out at Cumberland, MD., June 27, 1865.
C. Adam participated in all the military actions of his unit.
Was with Crook's Expedition against Virginia & Tennessee
Railroad, Battle of Cloyd's Mountain, Hunter's Expedition
against Lynchburg, Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign, Battle
of Opequan, Battle at Fisher's Hill, Battle at Cedar Creek and
D. 1862 - Adam was disabled by measles and taking cold they
settled on his lungs, causing consumption. He applied for
an received a pension of $4.00 just prior to his death.
E. 1883 - Adam died at age 55, He and wife, Margaret Ann are
buried in Highland Cemetery, in Ritchie County, WV.
The Ten Children of Adam Bumgardner and Margaret Ann Jordan:
1. John Will married Harriett Martin and 2nd Mary Alice Enochs.
2. Sarah Jane "Sadie" married Leander Horner. (My husband's
3. Alice Victoria married William C. Bumgardner.
4. Sanford M. married Florence Grudier (my G. Grandparents).
5. Columbia F. died in infancy.
6. James Alvin married Mary Elizabeth Lamp.
7. Rose Ann married William Edward Triplett.
8. Mary Elizabeth "Dollie" married Benjamin Theodore "Dora"
9. Samuel U. married Delia O'Neal and 2nd. Alice Davis.
10. Martha C. "Belle" married William Benjamin Wilson.
To our pioneer ancestors, who braved the crossing of the Atlantic
and homesteaded in the American wilderness.
To J. T. Baumgardner who recorded the early history of this
family in his book "A Baumgardner Family in America" and to Burl Eddy
of Newport, Ohio who recorded the later generations in his book
"Balzer Bumgardner Family."
To my Grandmother Elsie Odessa Bumgardner Wilson who wrote many
pages of her memories of her family and to her son, (my Uncle )
Thurman "Hack" who's research and pictures were given to me at
1. Source - Marion and Maralee Baumgardner who made trip to Weiach
in 1998 & met with relatives living in Weiach and visited the house
where Heinrich was born.
2. Source - Collection of upwards of thirty thousand names of
German, Swiss, Dutch, French and other immigrants in Pennsylvania
from 1727-1776, by I. Daniel Rupp, pp. 158.
3. A Baumgardner Family in America" by J. T. Baumgardner - 1970 San
Felipe Press, Austin, TX. pp. 10.
4. Dauphin County Deed Book 3, pp 529.
5. Pennsylvania Archives, Series V, Vol. VII.
6. Virginia Land Office Patents & Grants/Northern Neck Grants &
Surveys, pp. 256 & 257.
7. Botetourt Will Book C pp. 35 & pp. 366, Will Book D pp. 465,
Will Book E pp. 31
8. Will recorded Wythe County, VA, August 15, 1843.
9. Marriage Bond recorded in Augusta County, VA
10. Virginia 1810 Census Index, Editors Jackson and Teeples,
Accelerated Indexing Systems, Inc.
11. 1850 Census of Harrison County, VA.
12. Marriage Bond recorded in Bath County, VA.
13. 1850 Census of Tyler County, VA.
14. Pleasants County Death Record No. 1, pg 1 & Highland Cem.
15. Balzer Bumgardner Family by Burl Eddy, Newport, OH.
16. Marriage Recorded Harrison County, WV.
17. Adam Bumgardner's Civil War Records - National Archives.
18. Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, by Frederick Dyer
19. Adam Bumgardner's Civil War Records - National Archives.
20. Ritchie County Historical Society Records of Highland Cem.
20. Balzer Bumgardner Family by Burl Eddy, Newport, OH.