Submitted by Jim Bailey.
This two-plot cemetery is very close to the Lamp Cemetery.
Instructions on how to get there are identical to the Lamp cemetery (North on State Route 2 from St. Marys, across Middle Island Creek; right on County Route 3/13; 2.2 miles to old house with Lamp on mailbox; right 0.2 mile to cemetery) except that when you turn right off the County road to go to the Lamp Cemetery, you will see two roads that come almost together at the county road. The right fork goes to the Lamp cemetery. The left fork goes back to the Albert Bailey farm. The house on the left at the crest of the ridge was Albert's.
Albert Bailey - b. March 3, 1845 - d. December 18, 1918
Son of Austin and Mariah (Ellifritz) Bailey
Mary Jane (Steed) Bailey - b. Dec 22, 1843 - d. Nov 4, 1928 - w/o Albert; d/o Peter Noah & Elizabeth (Roberts) Steed
Albert was the son of Austin, who is buried in the Lamp Cemetery, and a grandson of William whose will is published on this page.
Albert and his wife are buried behind some newer houses on a ridge, a couple of hundred yards left of the Lamp Cemetery. If anyone wants to visit the graves, they should ask permission at one of the houses and will then be escorted to the gravesite.
Family tradition says that Albert and his wife are not buried in the Lamp Cemetery where most of his relatives are because he did not want to spend eternity alongside some of those relatives.
The plots are taken care of by the present owners of the land.
Albert and Mary Jane were the parents of Cleveland Monroe Bailey, who was Editor of the Parkersburg Newspaper in the 20s and 30's, and later a U.S. Congressman from the Parkersburg area in the 40s, 50s and 60s. A bronze bust of Cleveland Bailey is in the rotunda room of the state capitol building in Charleston.