Photo by Charley Elder, 2009.
Submitted by Gerald Bills.
From traffic light at State Route 2 and Washington Street in St. Marys, go south on State Route 2 approximately 9.5 miles. Turn left on Oak Grove Road (County Road 4) and go 1.3 miles to the intersection of County Road 4 and County Road 6. Hold right on County Road 4 and go 1.1 miles to the intersection of County Road 1/6 at Cluster. Remain on County Road 4 (hold left at intersection) and go 0.6 miles to Brown Barn on right. Park near here and go up road on left from barn approximately 150 yards to gate. Then continue straight up the hill to the ridge line and a line fence corner which shows on the 1911 Farm map as the corner between the L. W. Westbrook 100 acres and J. H. Rolston 161 acres. The cemetery appears as a row of six (6) field stones on the L. W. Westbrook land. - GPS: N39° 19.729' W81° 18.832'
This cemetery is the burying ground of the Elias Moreland family who came to Pleasants County from Monroe County, Ohio about 1869 and purchased the 100 acres at a sheriff's sale and called the land Sulphur Springs for springs located on the property. See Elias Moreland and Eddie Moreland's OBITUARY. Based on family history, Pleasants County death register and the referenced obituaries, the following are probably buried here:Elias Moreland - Died 10-12-1888 - Aged 84
Elizabeth Moreland - Died 1-1-1875 - Aged 53 - (Second Wife of Elias Moreland)
Eddie Moreland - 8-27-1883 - 3-20-1920
William C. Moreland - 1849 7-27-1896 - Reg Army Private, Company "D", 4th US Infantry
Arthelia Moreland - w/o William C. Moreland