The following is taken from the book "History of Ritchie County" written by
Cairo claim the distinction of being one of the oldest towns in this part of the state, since it was plotted and laid out long before the coming of the railroad. Buts its real history begins, perhaps, with the year 1856, when it became a railroad station.
It was laid out on the homestead of William Lowther, who gave the grant for the railroad depot, which is still used for this purpose.
Mr. Lowther like all the other pioneers of his name was a native of West Milford, Harrison county, and was the grandson of Col. William Lowther. He was born on Thursday, October 31, 1793, and was the second son of William and Margaret Morrison Lowther. He married Miss Melicent Maxwell, of Harrison county, and came to this county at an early day and settled near the mouth of the Middle fork of Hughes river for a time before coming to Cairo, where he remained until he was laid in the Egypt cemetery. His wife sleeps by his side.
His old home still stands, it being one of the very few that has withstood the ravages of time, but so changed is its appearance, that scarcely a suggestion of pioneer days lingers about. It is still owned by his heirs, his daughter Mrs. Rebecca Young being the owner and occupant.
He was the father of the following named children besides Mrs. Young; the late A. M. Lowther, of Goose creek; the late Alexander of Macfarlan; Granville, of Sistersville; L. D., of Texas; Wm. Maxwell, and Armstrong died many years ago, and Jane and Sudna, in youth.
First Merchant. - William Skelton was the first merchant of the town in 1855. He was the son of Edward Skelton, the pioneer Englishman who settled the Peirpoint homestead at Harrisville; and his wife was Miss Ellen Douglass, sister of Christopher Douglass, of Cornwallis. At the breaking out of the Civil war, Mr. Skelton raised a company and entered the Union service as captain, and at the close of the conflict, he removed with his family to Litchfield, Illinois, but he died at the home of H. B. McCollum, while on a visit to friends here, some years later, and in the Egypt cemetery he sleeps. His wife rests in the Litchfield burying-ground in Illinois. They were the parents of five children. The only daughter met a tragic death from a pitchfork in the hands of a boy at play; and Willis H., Andrew D., and Frank H. married, lived and died in Illinois. William A., who is still single, alone survives, and at Litchfield, he claims his residence.
Captain Skelton's successor in the mercantile business here was B. F. Rogers, in 1858. The siste of this pioneer store is now covered by the Twyman and Silcott establishment. James and Jerome Vandiver, J. R. Sigler, David McGregor, Jonathan Haddox, and son Harrison B., and C. E. Haddox are among the many others who have identified in this business here.
James Merchant is regarded as the pioneer hotel keeper here. He came in 1856, and built the "Alpha House," which remained in the hands of his family, his widow and son, Bonapart Merchant, until a few months since when it was sold.
Mr. Merchant came to Cairo as a contractor on the Baltimore and Ohio railroad, and he was subsequently a contractor on the "Calico railroad."
He was of French descent, and was born at what is now Charlestown in Jefferson county in 1813; and there he was first married to Miss Jeannette Harley, and five children were the fruit of this union: Edwin died in youth; John, at Atlanta, Georgia, where he left a family; Jacob, at St. Joseph, Missouri; Charley, at Cairo; and James is a druggist at Murphytown, Tennessee. After the wife of his youth was laid to rest at Charlestown, he married Miss Sarah Jane Foster, of PennSylvania,
who is of High Dutch stock, and with her he came to Cairo. Their children were five in number; viz., E. B., George, and Mrs. Jennie Carroll, and the late F. S., Cairo; and the late Minor, of Atlanta, Georgia.
Mr. Merchant passed on several years ago, and rests at Cairo.
Churches. - The pioneer public building in this section, which served the people for both school and church purposes for a half century, was torn down shortly after the erection of the United Presbyterian church in 1870; and the site of this revered old structure is now marked by the "Odd Fellows cemetery." The Rutherfords, Halls, Pews, Douglasses, and Taylors were the chief builders of the U. P. church; and the Rev. D. M. Sleeth was its first pastor. This church was reduced to ashes in 1904 but was re-built two years later.
The Baptist church also came in 1870, with the Hatfields, Fordhams, Moatses and Phillipses as principal builders. This church stands on the Hatfield homestead near one mile from town, and only a short distance from the United Presbyterian church.
This church society was organized on June 6, 1868, with the Rev. P. A. Woods, chairman; and Henry Fordham, clerk; but its organization was not fully completed until June 20th of the same year, when Jacob Hatfield and Thomas Fordham were made Deacons, and Henry Fordham, clerk.
The original members of this organization were as follows: Jacob Hatfield and his wife, Sarah J. and Elizabeth Hatfield, Thomas Fordham and his wife, Lucinda Yockey, Peter Moats, John Layfield, Elizabeth Layfield, and Elizabeth L., Margaret and Salinea Layfield, of Harrisville Baptist church, Sarah E. Cain, and Cinderilla Hatfield, Goose creek; Samuel Moats, Indian creek; Harried Layfield, Cedar creek; and Henry Fordham, of the Baptist church of Baltimore.
Next came the Presbyterian church, which stands beyond the town limits, and which is the largest and best church edifice in this part of the county. The McKinneys, the McCollums, and the Wanlasses were among the leaders of this denomination.
The Methodist Episcopal church, which is the only one within the limits of the town, was dedicated during the autumn of 1870; and among its principal promoters and builders, we find the names of Eli Earnest, J. R. Sigler, Harrison B. Haddox, and Mrs. Cunningham. This church has been remodeled and improved within recent years, and has been furnished with a fine musical instrument, the half of which was the gift of Andrew Carnegie.
Before the coming of the churches, the old "Block House" was used as a place of worship, as well as the other old building mentioned.
The Block House was also used for school purposes, Sanford Carroll being the first teacher within its walls; and George Weddekham, another teacher, is said to have given instructions to a class in German here.
This "old Block House," which stood on the west side of the hill above the railroad, was instituted during the Civil war as a place of defense and as a guard house. It was built compact of hewed timber and all along the railroad these houses were to be seen; but they have all long since passed from view.
The First School Building was erected in 1868. It was an old time log structure and stood on the hill on the west side of the river, and served the town for educational purposes until 1873, when the present school-grounds were set apart, and a two-roomed frame building erected; but this building was destroyed by fire in 1893, and the following year it was replaced by another two-roomed building, which was remodeled by the addition of two more rooms and an office, in 1896.
In 1904-5 another addition was made, and the present building consists of six class rooms, an office and a reading room, a library of six hundred volumes, and other modern apparatuses and conveniences.
When the school was established in 1868, one teacher was thought to be equal to the occasion, as the curriculum consisted of only the three "R's" and a "few fragments and frills,"
but it has kept pace with the onward march of education, and it now occupies a place in the front ranks, among the schools of this and neighboring counties. Owing to its crowded conditions no High school work of any notice was taken up until 1904 and 1905, when through the efforts of L. R. Fowler, one year's course was added. The curriculum now consists of the regular graded-school work and a two-year High school course. Like the other schools of its kind in the county, it has sent out some of the prominent citizens of our state, as well as the county. Its present enrollment (1909) is near two hundred, and its teaching faculty is as follows: S. C. Grose, P. C. Hickman, Genevieve Kirsch, Nettie Myers, Sallie Agnes Pew, and Emma McCollum.
John S. Hall, the blind pedagogue and piet, of St. Mary's was the first teacher in the house on these grounds; and among those who have served as pricipal since his time are: Miss Jennie Smith, Luther Randolph, Fillmore Randolph, Wm. M. Hall, A. B. Smith, I. A. Tannyhill, Mr. King, William Echols, Jora Cannon, J. H. Nichol, Lucy McKinney, J. Newman, Kathrine Roberts, J. F. Marsh, L. H. Hayhurst, J. W. Davis, L. R. Fowler and S. C. Grose, the present incumbent.
Bank. - The first Cairo Bank building marks the site of an old and important landmark, which is now but a memory, the spoke factory and grist-mill of the late "Jackey" Horn, which played no small part in the early history of the town, but which finally sank into a state of dilapidation and ruin and vanished from sight before the hand of modern improvement.
The Grange. - Early in the seventies an organization called the "Grange" flourished here. Its purpose being to advance the interests of the farmer. A large store was opened, which did a successful business for a time. One fair was held, which was pronounced success, but soon after this, the company went to pieces; the business was sold out, the store closed, and the corporation disbanded. There was at this time quite a number of other Grange organizations in the county, but not even one is left "to tell the tale," of their success. They have long since been "naught but a memory."
The Late Ex-Senator J. N. Camden, of Parkersburg, was
An important factor in redeeming much of the territory east and north of this town from its primitive wilderness. He and other Parkersburg men purchased thousands of acres of land, and put in large mills which cut up the timber; and after the best timber had been removed, they sold the land in small farms, reserving their coal and oil interests which have since proved to be valuable possessions. This enterprise began near the "Nutter farm." H. S. Wilson, * of Parkersburg, also did much toward opening up this territory.
Major J. D. Beardley, superintended the mill-work for Senator Camden; and he built the residence that is now owned by Mrs. Anna Newman, which was at that time considered one of the few palatial residences in the county. Mr. Beardsley was a Canadian by birth and always remained loyal to the Crown. He and his accomplished wife added much to the social circles, while here, but when his work was at an end, they went to Arkansas, where they amassed quite a fortune.
The First Silversmith. - Henry Fordham was the first silversmith of the town. He was born in Yorkshire, England, on September 7, 1817, and there grew to manhood and learned to watch the clock-maker's trade in his father's shop.
In 1841, he was married to Miss Sarah Mitchell, daughter of William Mitchell, who passed on in 1849, leaving two children, the late Mrs. Elizabeth (Abner) Harfield, and Thomas Fordham, of Goff's.
After her death he married her sister, Miss _______ Mitchell, and in 1851, they embarked to America, landing in Baltimore, where she died a few years later, leaving one son, Henry Fordham, junior, who died in his early manhood. He then married Miss Barbara Ellen Gettier, of Baltimore; and from there they came to this county, and settled at Cornwallis, for a brief time, before coming to Cairo in 1858, where he continued to work at his trade until his death, in 1887.
He spent two years of his life as a sailor, and served as a soldier in the Civil war for a few months. He was Secretary of the Board of Education for seven years - just before his
* See Chapter XXVIII for sketch of Mr. Wilson.
death - and was unusually skillful in his trade as repairer of clocks and watches, as is his son.
The children of his last marriage are Mrs. Mary Hall, Mrs. Florence Hall, and the late Mrs. Emma (A. L.) Gracey, of Marietta, Ohio, who died at the birth of her first child, Mrs. Fordham still survives and at the Gracey home at Marietta, she resides.
Physicians. - Dr. T. B. Humphrey was the first resident physician. He remained for several years and then went to Bridgeport, Harrison county, where he died. His successor was Dr. C. P. Lowry, who married Miss Myra Sigler, daughter of J. R. Sigler, and after several years' practice here was compelled to give up the profession owing to his failing health. He then removed to Parkersburg, where he died a little later, and where his family still live.
The late Dr. Martin came next and, after years of faithful service, died here. Dr. Chesney was another physician, but he only remained for a brief time, going from here to Tyler county.
Dr. Archie Bee, and Dr. U. S. G. Ferrell are the present practioners.
Lawyers. - James Newman, an Englishman, was the first lawyer in 1894. He came as a teacher, but since his practice has become so large, he has given up teaching. Charles McKight, Robert Talkington, Robert McGregor, and S. O. Prunty are other jurists that have been identified here. Mr. Prunty is now the partner of Mr. Newman.
Newspapers. - The pioneer newspaper was the "Ritchie Democrat and Beacon Light" in 1877. The Cairo Times came later, but was destroyed when the Commercial hotel went up in smoke, some twelve years ago, after a brief history. "The Cairo Enterprise" with Robert Morris owner and Van A. Zeveley editor, is the only publication in the town at present.
Lodges. - The Kate Barclay Lodge, No. 51,of the I. O. O. F. was the pioneer secret society. It held its early sessions at the Alpha hotel, but later purchased an old dwelling near the Methodist Episcopal church, which served until 1890, when the fine lodge hall was erected, which is now the home of all
the secret orders in town, the others renting of the I. O. O. F. H. B. McCollum is styled the "father" of the organization here, he having been an Odd Fellow for more than sixty years. The Odd Fellows also owned a large cemetery near town.
A strong Good Templars organization folurished here, but has long since gone out of existence. The other secret orders are, the Masonic , the A.O.U.W., the I.O.R.M., the Modern Woodmen of America, the Knights of Pythisa, and the Woodmen of the World.
John McGregor, brother of David was an early blacksmith here, perhaps, the first one of the town.
Cairo is divided by the North Fork of Hughes river, but is connected by bridges, a county, a railroad, and a suspension bridge span it, and a foot bridge is under agitation. It is heated and lighted by natural gas, and is the only town in the county that has waterworks. It is in the midst of an extensive oil field though developments are now on the wane; but it has been greatly enlarged during this period of oil development. Several new additions having been added and others are in progress, among which the Ferrell is perhaps, the more important.
Dr. U. S. G. Ferrell bought a tract of land some distance from the main town and divided it into one hundred seventeen lots, thirty of which, perhaps, have been improved. This addition has planning-mill, a general store, and a movement is on foot for a church and a school house.
Cairo claims a resident population of eight hundred inhabitants. It has a third-class post-office, the late C. E. Haddox being the first post-master appointed by the President, and B. R. Twyman is the present one. It has been under municipal government since 1895, when it was incorporated with James Newman as the first mayor.
It has a fine drug store, with G. S. Flesher, druggist; an opera house which was recently completed by H. E. McGregor & Company at a cost of near one thousand five hundred dollars; a nitro-glycerine factory, a job printing-house, and oil well manufacturing tank shop, planning-mill, feed stores, bakeries, groceries, a good school-building, two hotels, the "Alpha and
the Omega" and a few boarding houses. It has one bank, the two having been consolidated under the name of the "Cairo Bank," a few years since.
The South Penn, the South, and the Stuart Oil Companies, and a number of others have their head offices here.
Its business men are H. E. McGregor and C. D. Lowry, who have a large furniture and undertaking establishment under the firm name of McGregor & Company. The Greer Supply Company are also dealers in furniture and have a spacious hardware establishment in connection. The Ramsey Silcott Company are the clothiers, The Cairo Mercantile Firm with Newton Marsh in charge, Summers, Hall & Co., (B. E. Summers, A. L. Hall and G. P. Sigler), S. P. Heckart, G. P. Hess, A. Pribble, T. P. Sandy are the general merchants.
John Shroper, is the photographer, W. L. Collins, J. Friedley, T. L. Cross, blacksmiths, A. S Lemon, tailor, Mrs. A. M. Doughlass, milliner, and Misses Anna and Mray Lavelle, dressmakers.
While Cairo cannot boast of its beauty of location, it is conveniently situated, and is the third town in point of size in the county; and in modern conveniences it holds the first in rank.
As the country about it was formerly called "Egypt"* it takes its name from the ancient land of the Pharaohs beyond the sea.
The names of McKinney, Marshall, Hall, Douglass, Younge, Rutherford, McGregor, Lowther, Pew, Fordham, Merchant, Haddox, Carroll, Sigler, Hatfield, Earnest, Lee, Humphrey, and McCollum, all have old and prominent connection with this town, but as many of their histories have already appeared in preceding chapters, more than a passing notice is still due a few of them.
Eli Earnest and his wife came from the Keystone state, and died here after a long residence. Their son, Luther, married Miss Mary Lowther, daughter of the late Maxwell and Mrs. Matilda Lowther (now Mrs. McGregor) and went to Oregon, where they now live.
* The name Egypt originated from the fact that much corn was raised here in early times, and when the citizens of the Harrisville vicinity came down to buy, one of the wives of the old settlers said: "Oh! You Israelites have come to Egypt to get corn, have you?" hence the name.
Harvey B. McCollum came from Pennsylvania in his young manhood, near the year 1854, and married Miss Katherine McKinney, daughter of Jacob McKinney, and is still a familiar figure of the town. He has been the Secretary of the Board of Education of Grant district almost throughout the history of the free school system.
He is the father of two sons, and one daughter: viz., Wm. McCollum, and Miss Emma, who is one of the successful teachers of the county, and Dr. Reilly McCollum of St. Mary's.
Jacob Hatfield was born in Greene county, Pennsylvania, on May 13, 1818, of Scotch-English parentage. He was the son of Jacob Hatfield, senior, and his mother's maiden name was Miss Mondell. Both lived and died in Pennsylvania.
In 8140, he was married to Miss Wilhelmina Everhart, who was also born in Greene county, on October 26, 1820, and shortly after their marriage, they came to West Virginia, and settled near Middlebourn in Tyler county; and from there they came to Cairo in 1852, and took up their residence on the old homestead, near one mile east of the town where their son, Jacob, now lives, and where they saw the last of earth. She, in 1895, and he, on February 9, 1902. Both rest in the Egypt cemetery, near their old home.
Mr. Hatfield was long prominent in public affairs. He served as magistrate at the time the magistrate formed the County court; and was a member of the Board of Supervisors that laid the county off into districts. He was also a member of the body that organized the State of West Virginia, he and John P. Harris being the delegates from the county. He gave the grounds for the Cairo Baptist church and was one of its chief builders and pillars. He also played a liberal part in the building of the Central Baptist church at Goff's.
He was the father of the following named children: Hon. Samuel Hatfield, ex-State Senator, and Jacob, already mentioned, Cairo; the late Dr. F. P. of Parkersburg, who also occupied a seat in the Legislature, from Wood county; Cephas, of Marietta; Abner Hatfield, and Mrs. Thomas Fordham, Goff's; Mrs. Benjamin Phillips, Rusk; and Mrs. Madison Lambert, Ellenboro.
Samuel Hatfield is the one member of this family that has
taken an active part in the public affairs of the county. He was born in Tyler county, in 1842, and with his parents came to this county at the age of ten years. He married Miss Cinderilla Phillips, and is the father of two daughters, the late Mrs. Mary (B. F.) Twyman, and Mrs. Wilhelmina Cokeley, of Cairo. He filled the offices of assessor and of Commissioner of the County court; and in 1904, was elected as State Senator from the third Senatorial district; and at the session of 1907, he served as a member of the following committees: On County and Municipal corporations; on Militia; on Immigration and Agriculture; to examine Clerk's offices, and was chairman of the one Federal Relations.
J. R. Sigler, who was so long identified with the business affairs of this town, came to this county from Evansville, Preston county in 1849; but later went to Gilmer county where he was engaged in the tannery business, at Glenville, at the breaking out of the Civil war; but in 1862, he returned to Harrisville where he remained until the time of the building of the "Calico railroad" when he came to Cairo. Here he was engaged in the mercantile business for many years, and here he passed from earth; but in the Harrisville cemetery he slumbers. He was first married to Miss Mary Stevens, daughter of Israel Stevens of Taylor county, who died in 1847 leaving two sons, John W., who lost his life in the Union cause, on the Lynchburg raid; and J. J. Sigler, of Harrisville. His second wife was Miss Jane Moats, daughter of Jacob Moats, of Cairo, and she was the mother of the following named children: Ella, late wife of H. P. McGregor, of Cairo; Mattie, is the widow of the late Dr. J. R. Lowry, of Parkersburg; Myra is Mrs. Charles E. Batson, of Cairo; Cora, Mrs. Thurston Coffman, of Parkersburg; Ollie, Mrs. Frank Gaylord, of Clarksburg; Addie was the late wife of the Rev. Mr. Beard, of the Presbyterian church; George P., is the druggist at Pennsboro; and Walter was killed by the train in his boyhood.
The name of Carroll has long had a prominent association with the history of this town, though few members of the family yet remain here.
Sanfor Barltett Carroll was one of the early pedagogues
of the town. He was born in Harrison county, on January 27, 1814, but with his parents removed to Doddridge county in his youth, or in his early manhood. He married Miss Mary Fling, who was born at Hartford, Vermont on July 13, 1825, and who with her parents resided in Wood county at the time of her marriage. She was a school-teacher, also, and while thus engaged in Ritchie county she met Mr. Carroll, and on Sunday, September 28, 1845, they were married at the home of James Terry, by the late Rev. James L. Clarke.
Mr. Carroll at that time owned a farm on Arnold's creek in Doddridge county, and there the first few years of their married life were spent; and form there they removed to Cairo in the early fifties; and, here, he passed from earth at a ripe old age. Mrs. Carroll survived until August 11, 1907, when the lamp of her life went out at the home of her daughter, Mrs. C. E. Haddox, at Moundsville. Both sleep at Cairo.
They were the parents of the following named children:
Lydia, the eldest, died at the age of two years.
Chapman married Miss Jennie Merchant, and died a number of years ago leaving two children: George F. resides at Fairmont. Caroline is the wife of the Rev. W. A. Echols, of the Presbyterian church of Ohio; Sanford B., junior, died in 1898, and Charles, too, has passed on; Ellen is the widow of the late C. E. Haddox, of Moundsville; and Emma is Mrs. Stonewall Taylor, of Parkersburg.
The Carrolls are of Irish descent and they probably first settled in the Maryland colony upon their arrival in America.
Charles Carroll, the last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence, who died at Baltimore on November 14, 1832, was born at Annapolis, Maryland, in 1737.
And his Cousin, John Carroll, was the first Roman Catholic Bishop in the United States. He too, was a native of Maryland, and doubtless belongs to this same family.
William Carroll, the father of Sanford B. Carroll, and his wife Lucinda Mott Carroll, were both natives of the "Old Dominion" and there they grew to maturity and married; and from there they emigrated to what is now Harrison county where most of their family were born.
They died at Cairo at the home of their son, he, on August
15, 1864, at the age of eighty-three; and she, on December 15, 1876, aged eighty-five years. Both sleep at Cairo.
Haddox. - Three generations of the Haddox family have figured in the history of this town, but as a sketch of the older generation appears elsewhere, we shall only mention the family of the late Harrison B. Haddox, whose brief earthly pilgrimage began on the South fork of the Hughes river in this county in 1846, and ended at Cairo in 1877.
Mr. Haddox was a man of high character and was a useful member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He offered himself as a soldier at his country's call for volunteers during the Civil war, but was rejected on physical grounds.
In 1863, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Lowe, a native of the Shenandoah valley,, who was a lineal descendant of the renowned Lee family of Virginia; her mother being a cousin of the late General Robert E. Lee, and six children were the fruits of this union, namely, the late Charles E. Haddox, * of Moundsville; C. M. Haddox, of Charleston; Harold Haddox, Mrs. Inez (Van A.) Zeveley, Cairo; and Morde and Addie, who died in childhood.C.M. Haddox is one of the sons of this town that is making a record for himself in the state, he having filled the position of Chief Clerk in the State Treasurer's office under the administration of the late Newton Ogdin; and during the last six months of Mr. Ogdin's administration, served as Treasurer as well as Chief Clerk, Mr. Ogdin being capacitated by illness.
* See Younger Men's Calendar
This town was laid out at an early day, and was named in honor of Mr. Penn, of Baltimore - the civil engineer who performed this service. But the history of the town proper begins with the coming of the railroad in 1858.
As has already been mentioned, in an earlier chapter, the first settlement in the county was made here, in 1800, by John Bunnel; and the picturesque old stone house at the western end of town is the oldest landmark in the county, as well as one of the most interesting. It has withstood the storms of a century, and bids fair to stand for many more. Its walls are two feet in thickness and are constructed of flag-rock, of all shapes and sizes, which are held in-tact by the most substantial of cement; and it is two one-half stories in height, and contains twelve rooms. As one gazes with admiration and awe upon the unique design of its masonry, one is almost lost in wonder in regard to the character of the builder. (John Webster, who came from New England and went to Texas where he was killed by the Indians.)
Mr. A J. Ireland, the present owner, recently had an annex of twelve rooms added to the back, which now makes it the largest hotel in town.
Here, in this historic building, James Martin kept the first post-office, which would be a rare curiosity to-day with its small desk which afforded ample room for all of the mail which was then in circulation. A small store box usually served this purpose, but the Ellenboro post-mistress used a sieve, which she pushed under the bed out of the way.
The first dwelling, after the "stone house" stood on the corer of Pike and Spring streets, where the Wilson furniture
store now stands; and was constructed by Marshall Martin (son of James), who removed an old store house from below the fairground here, and converted it into a residence.
Allen Calhoun was the first blacksmith on the site long before the coming of the railroad.
The first depot building, which was located near sixty feet from the present one, on the opposite side of the street, was built in 1858 or '59.
But, at the time of the coming of M. P. Kimball, at the close of the Civil war, the town was only a hamlet of about five houses with one store; but he and J. E. Tyler at once started a stave factory, which employed quite a number of men, and thus laid the foundation for the present "greatness" of the town; for since that time its growth has been gradual and steady until it is now the largest town in the county.
The first houses that were erected after the arrival of Mr. Kimball, were two or three small cottages for the occupancy of his factory employees, on what is now Masonic street; and he (Mr. Kimball) then built a larger house on the site that is now marked by the Harry Broadwater residence, for a boarding-house, which was the first hotel after the "stone house."
Hotels. - The "Brown hotel" was built by the Reverend G. W. Morgan of the Baltimore Methodist Episcopal Conference in 1870, and was used for a store-house for a number of years, before the late C. R. Brown converted it into a hotel; and it is still used as a house of entertainment and is owned by the Brown heirs. "The Arlington" is the other hotel at present.
School. - The first school-house stood on the flat east of the J. M. Wilson residence, and, like many of the other early public buildings, opened its humble door to some very distinguished visitors. Among these was the late Robert Ingersol, who delivered a lecture here in 1874.
This old house served the town for educational purposes until 1879, when a four-roomed frame building was constructed on the present school-grounds; and while this house was being replaced by the present six-roomed brick, the old Crumrine opera house was pressed into service as a school-room.
The six rooms proving inadequate for the growing population, in 1905 a two-roomed frame annex was added.
The school now consists of eight rooms with a total enrollment of nearly two hundred thirty-five pupils. It has a two years' High school course; a library of one thousand volumes, and an organ adds to its furnishings.
M. K. Duty was one of the most efficient principals of the old frame building; and among those who have served in this capacity in the brick-building are: J. S. Cornwell, L. C. Anderson, W. W. Tapp, s. M. Hoff (1897-98) Homer Adams, H. B. Woods, A. L. Davis, O. G. Wilson, C. B. Cornwell, George M. Young, who came in 1908, and is at the head of the present faculty, which is as follows: Thomas Lambert, (asistant principal) Miss Ora Mcdougal, Miss Louise McCullough, Mrs. Mary Wooddell, Miss Agnes Hamilton, Mrs. Gertrude Doak Wilson, and Miss Josephine Fordyce.
Churches. - The first church (the United Brethren) came in 1866, with Mr. E. D. Martin, Phillip Sigler, Morris Badford, C. R. Brown, A. C. Barnard, and J. M. Wilson donors of the grounds, Mrs. Martin giving the site for the church, and the rest for the cemetery. The Presbyterian church was built in 1870; the Catholic, in 1873; the Methodist Protestant, in 1901; and the Episcopal, still later.
Newspapers. - "The Monitor" with M. K. Duty founder, was the first newspaper. Its history began in the early 80's, and ended when T. A. Brown removed the press to Elizabeth, Wirt county, a few years afterwards. Then came Van A. Zevely with the "Beacon Light," and W. A. Stickler with "the Lever," which was succeeded by the "Pennsboro News," and lastly came "The Republican" with W. B. Pedigo in the editorial chair. "The News" is at present the only journal in the field and it is a live Democratic "wire" with J. A. Wooddell in the chair.
Lodges. - The Masonic lodge (Harmony No. 59) is the oldest secret order here. It was instituted at Tollgate during the sixties and was removed to this place about the year 1885. It numbered at that time sixty members, but now has one hundred twenty.
The Blue Lodge, (the Odell S. Long Chapter No. 25), which was organized in 1899 is now the second chapter in point of size in the state; its present membership being near two hundred thirty, and it is now petitioning the Grand Lodge for a commandery. The Eastern Star has an organization of near seventy-five members. The Masons have quite a handsome temple which is valued at near five thousand dollars.
The K. of P. have a hall of their own, and the I.O.O.F. the Woodmen of the World, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Keystone Guards, the Daughters of Rebecca, the Knights of Modern Maccabees, the Encampment, the G.A.R. and the Sons of Veterans all have organizations here.
Blacksmiths. - John Gattrell and his late brother, Stephen, of West Union, were the first blacksmiths of the town, and A. J. Cross, J. E. Valentine and A. B. Garrison, are the present ones. J. W. Foster, who was long engaged at his anvil, and W. F. Sills, who is also undertaker, are dealers in wagons.
Physicians. - The late Dr. J. B. Crumrine, was the first resident physician. He came here from Little Washington, Pennsylvania, and was married to Miss Virginia, the daughter of John Collins, and remained until his death near the year 1895. His daughter, Lora, is now Mrs. M. K. Duty, and John Crumrine is his son.
Dr. E. H. Martin, of Oxford, was another former physician here, and Drs. J. B Wilson and A. P. and L. P. Jones are the present ones.,/P>
Dr. C. W. Wilcox, and Dr. John Stoops, whose reputation is state-wide, are the dentists.
Business Enterprises. - One of the enterprises of the Pennsboro of the past was the establishing of a Cigar manufacturing house by W. T. Dixon, which was only in existence for a short time. Mr. Dixon was the father of H. A. Dixon, who now has a small cigar concern; and in the U. B. cemetery he rests.
But one of the most important business enterprises of modern Pennsboro was the founding of the "Collins Company" which was opened as a retail planing-mill by the late Creed Collins and C. W. Sprinkle. The planing-mill was incorporated as the "Pennsboro Lumber Company," and the Collins
Company continued in the wholesale lumber business until the fall of 1908, when the whole business became insolvent; and thus one of the largest enterprises in the history of the county took its place among the annals of the past, and untold sorrow followed in its wake.
The "Pennsboro Manufacturing Company" which was organized in January 1910, (with T. G. Strickler president; G. P. Sigler vice president; H. L. Lambert secretary; H. J. Scott treasure, and J. B. Yates general manager) succeeded the Pennsboro Lumber Company with a capital stock of twenty-five thousand dollars.
The marble-yard was founded during the summer of 1888, by M. S. McCullough, who continued in charge until November 20, 1908, when he sold to Guy Flannagan and H. B. West. The late Thomas Kincaid was a partner with Mr. McCullough for one year during his ownership. This is the only marble-yard in the history of the county, and its income is near fifteen thousand dollars a year.
The Pennsboro Grocery Company was established in 1899 with E. J. Weekly president, but it was destroyed by fire in 1905; and the present wholesale Grocery Company was organized in 1906, with Dr. G. P. Sigler, president; H. J. Scott, treasurer; and T. G. Srickler, manager. Its authorized capital is $50,000, and Mr. Strickler is still the manager.
The Golden Rule Shirt factory is one of the important enterprises of the town, since it can give regular employment to one-half hundred persons. It was organized on December 28, 1905, with G.P. Sigler, H. J. Scott, B. F. Maulsby, Theodore Butcher, E. J. McKinley, James Hickman, E. J. Norris, and Harry Fordyce, as directors. A. L. Davis, now of Charleston, was the first manager and H. C. Fordyce is the present one.
Banks. - The Farmers' and Merchants' Bank was the first bank of the town. It was organized on September 28, 1897, with Creed Collins, president; L. P. Wilson, M. K. Duty, A. Broadwater, James Hickman, E. E. Wells, G. P. Sigler, J. M. McKinney, S. V. Wilson, Benjamin McGinnis and T. G. Strickler, as directors. H. J. Scott is the cashier.The Citizens Bank was opened for business as a State Bank, on August 28, 1899, with Alex Prunty, as president; E.
J. Taylor, vice president; and James Hickman, B. H. Hickman, G. W. Lambert, L. P. Wilson, D. A. Fawcett, O. H. Collins, A. J. Wilson, and W. S. McGregor, as directors.
But it was changed to the Citizens National Bank, in June, 1904, and was officered as follows: E. J. Taylor, president; A. Broadwater, first vice president; W. S. McGregor, second vice president; C H. Broadwater, cahsier; and C. R. Cunningham, assistant cashier; M. K. Duty, C. R. Cunningham, James Hickman, W. H. Howard, C. H. Broadwater and M. H. Davis, were directors. The capital stock is twenty five thousand with a total footing of three hundred twenty-five thousand dollars.
The First National Bank was instituted on January 22, 1904, and was incorporated on March thirtieth, of the same year, with a capital stock of twenty-five thousand dollars. Creed Collins, L. P. Wilson, Richard Wanless, M. M. Lambert, and E. M. Carver, were the first board of directors. Mr. Collins was the president; Mr. Wanless was the first vice president; L.P. Wilson, second vice president; and E. M. Carver, cashier. The present officers are Okey E. Nutter, president; L. A. Maire, first vice president; Dr. J. B. Wilson, second vice president; J. A. Leggett, cashier, and Lindsey C. Foster, assistant cashier.
The Star Lumber Company is another important enterprise of the town, which employs forty men, but we failed to learn its history.
Mayors. - The town was incorporated in 1885 with C. R. Brown as first mayor, and those who have served in this capacity since that time are: M. K. Duty, James Manear, E. Dd. Clayton, C. H. Heflin, I. L. Fordyce, J. A. Woddell, J. B. McGregor, and James Hickman, several of whom have served for more than one term.
The Pennsboro of to-day is a busy, enterprising town of fifteen hundred inhabitants.
Rome-like, it sits upon its many hills, and with its settings of green trees, its pretty yards, its neat residence, and its numerous church spires, it presents a picturesque appearance
to the observing visitor within its gates. The Collins' residence, which overlooks the Western end of town, is without doubt the most palatial residence in the county; it having been built at a cost of about eighteen thousand dollars.
Three passenger trains east, and a like number west, make regular stops here, and there are two daily trains over the Lorama road to Pullman, and, also, to Harrisville.
Like the other towns in the county, it has good telephone service, the Bell and the West Virginia Western, both having exchange offices here, besides the various local lines. It has eight daily mails; an opera house; a Citizens Coronet Band of eighteen pieces; a fenced ball-park; and the fair-ground lies just beyond its borders.
There are eight general stores, two harness shops, a drug store, a tin shop, a clothing and furnishing house, bottling works, a suspender factory, Engle mills and numerous other minor enterprises besides the ones already mentioned.
Water-works have been installed within the past few months, and the fire-fighting apparatus is a satisfactory one.
SKETCHES OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE PLAYED A PART IN THE HISTORY OF PENNSBORO.
Phillip Sigler, who was born on November 10, 1825, and died on October 5, 1888, was one of the early men of the town. His wife, Caroline Weekley, was born on November 26, 1827, and died on May 10, 1901; and, side by side, they lie at rest in the U. B. cemetery, east of town. Mrs. Eliza Flowers, of this place, is their only child.
Addison Rexroad, and Samuel Musgrave were also early citizens here. Mr. Rexroad, who belong to the pioneer family of his name, married the daughter of George Sinnett, of Harrisville, and had one son, the late Zachariah Rexroad, of Goose creek.
Mr. Musgrave and his wife, Rachel Dawson, came from Marion county and remained until death. Lemuel, Joe, Johathan, Pinckney, and James, were their sons, and this is as far as our information goes.
Fallen. - But among the older families that are still here, is that of the late Michael Fallen, who came as a contractor on the Baltimore and Ohio railroad in 1858.
Mr. Fallen was born in Ireland in 1820, and came to the United States in his early manhood, and landed at Boston, where he met and married Miss Bridget McGraw, who was also born in Ireland, on February 2, 1829, but came to America at the age of eighteen years. The marriage took place on August 15, 1850, and they remained at Boston for one year, before going to Cumberland, Maryland, where he entered the employ of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company. This company sent him to Fairmont a little later, and from there he came to this place in the stage-coach days, before the town was born. When the family arrived they boarded at the "stone house" until a dwelling could be secured. He came as contractor on the railroad and as long as he lived he was in the employ of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, he having been foreman, watchman, etc.
He died on October 24, 1875, and there being no Catholic burying-ground here, his remains were taken to West Union
for interment. His wife died on February 23, 1899, and sleeps in the Catholic cemetery here.
Their children were eight in number: Miss Mary Fallen, who was engaged in the milliner business here for fifteen years, was the eldest daughter; Michael, junior, who served for five years in the United States army, is of Central Station, Delia was the late Mrs. Michael Glenn, of Baltimore; John died at Baltimore, unmarried; William, who was a soldier of the Spanish-American war, lives at Mr. Clare, in Harrison county; Bernard and Thomas died in youth; and Ella, who long held a position in the post-office here, is now Mrs. M. P. Wooddell, of this place.
M. P. Kimball, who can well be styled "the father" of this town, was born in Massachusetts, on June 2, 1824, but came from the "Empire" state to Ellenboro, where he launched a cooper-shop, and remained for some length of time before coming to Pennsboro. He, with J. E. Tyler, of New York, founded the stave factory, which was owned and operated by "Kimball, Tyler and Company" until the death of Mr. Kimball, when his property fell into the hands of his wife, who gave her interest in the factory to Mr. Tyler, who removed it to Baltimore, where he was still doing business a few years since.
Some handsome brick buildings now mark the site of this interesting old landmark, which played so important a part in the history of the town and of the county. The old Kimball home is now owned and occupied by M. H. Davis, and is still a pretty residence.
Mr. Kimball was the promoter, chief-builder, and sole owner of the Pennsboro and Harrisville railroad until his death, when it passed into the hands of his wife, by his will, and she sold it to a company.
He died on October 9, 1891, and in the Presbyterian cemetery overlooking the town, a handsome monument "guards his ashes."
His first wife, Lucy, who was born on February 4, 1827, and died on January 15, 1887, came from New York with him. His second wife, Miss Hattie M. Martin, daughter of James, was born at Pennsboro on April 5, 1843, and died on August
4, 1901, and rests with him and his first wife in the Presbyterian cemetery. He had no children.
Morris Bradford was another important factor in the early business affairs of the town. He came from Tyler county in 1860, and opened a store and remained until his death on December 16, 1883, at the age of fifty-four years, eleven months, and ten days. He also played a part in the building of the P. and H. railroad.
His wife, Mary J. * Thomas, sister of G. W. Thomas, was born in Tyler county and died at Pennsboro on February 17, 1899, at the age of fifty-nine years, three months and fourteen days. Both rest in the U. B. cemetery, as does their daughter, Charlotte, who died in youth, and the surviving ones are as follows; Peter Bradford, of Grafton; William, of Middle Island; Wetzel and Bert of the hardware firm of Bradford and Wells; Mrs. E. E. Wells, all of Pennsboro; and Mrs. Charles Price of Colorado.
Marshall Martin, son of James Martin, the first merchant of the town, was a native of the old "stone house." He married Miss Harriett Smith, daughter of Captain John Smith of Fairmont, and went from here to Parkersburg where he rests.
His family are as follows: Edwin T. Martin, Colorado; Edith (Mrs. Wm. Hall), Cairo; Miss Mona Martin, Parkersburg; Mrs. Rose McKean, Clarksburg; Marshall, junior, and another child died in youth.
Festus H. Martin, brother of Marshall, is at this time the oldest living son of the town, as well as one of its most widely-known and prominent citizens. He was born in the "stone house" on September 1, 1840, and has principally spent the three-score years of his life here.
He was one of the early County Superintendents of free schools, being elected in 1871, but resigned after a few months' service, because he had changed his place of residence to Wood county. He has been farmer, general wholesale dealer in wool, hides, etc., and has been in the employ of South Penn Oil Company.
*A member of the family gave us the name of Mrs. Bradford as "Charlotte," but her grave stone says "Mary J."
In February 1869, he was married to Miss Hattie V. Dye, daughter of Jonathan Dye, of Marietta, Ohio, who was borne to her final resting-place in the Presbyterian cemetery, in February 1897.
The children of this union are as follows: Campbell D. Martin, Salem; Festus Hall, Huntington; Edith (Mrs. Silas P. Smith), West Union; Susan (Mrs. J. L. Silcott), and Catherine, both of Parkersburg, and two sons died in youth.
The Thomas Brothers have been identified in the mercantile business here for thirty-five years, and are still leaders in this business. They also figured in the milling and the leaf tobacco business for a time.
They are both natives of Tyler county, and are the sons of the late John and Lydia McCoy Thomas.
George W. Thomas was born on September 4, 1845, and in 1879, he was married to Miss Dollie McKinley, daughter of John McKinley, and three children are the result of this union: viz., Earnestine (Mrs. B. W. Bee), and George, who died at the age of twenty years; and Suzie, at seven.
Peter Thomas was born in 1848, and his wife was Miss Mae Horner, daughter of Clarke Horner, and one son, John, is the fruits of this union.
Meservie is one of the old names of the town as its association dates back for one-half century, when Charles and Margaret Tucker Meservie made their appearance here. Mrs. Meservie rests in the cemetery here, and he, in the West.
Columbus, one of the sons, who was wounded in the Union cause, now lives at Oxford; martin rests in Missouri, and John resided there; Katherine is the wife of Spencer Clayton, of this place; Sarah is Mrs. Taylor, of Ohio; Mahala was the late Mrs. Dotson; Mary is Mrs. Slack, of Columbus, Ohio; Mrs. Jane Moran lives at Grafton; and W. R. Meservie is the present County clerk.
Creed Collins. - Few individuals have had a longer or more important connection with the affairs of this town than the late lamented Creed Collins, who spent the entire span of his life in this vicinity. He was the son of John and Phebe Bryce Collins, and on the old homestead not far from this town, he was born on December 14, 1842, and here at his beautiful
"Oak Hall" on a quiet afternoon in the early spring time, April 23, 1909, the sun of his life sank behind the Western hills.
Though only a boy, he was an ardent advocate of the Southern cause, and at the opening of hostilities, leaving his studies at the Academy at Morgantown, he enlisted in Company A. Twenty-fifth Virginia Cavalry under Captain E. J. Jarvis and Colonel Kasler, who belonged to William L. Jackson's brigade, and was the youngest member of this company. He was twice taken prisoner, spending five months at Camp Chase, and seven, at McLane's Barracks, but managed to escape from the latter place by tunnelling his way through a cellar. He was engaged in the mercantile business here for twenty-five years (beginning near the year 1867), and was at one time an extensive dealer in the tobacco industry; and at the time of his financial crisis, was regarded as the wealthiest man in the county, being one of the largest land-owners as well as having interests in paying business concerns. And this crisis was due to no fault of mis-management of his own, but came through his trustfulness of others, those who proved to be unworthy of the confidence that he bestowed, and he died of a broken-heart. It has been said of him by those who knew him best, that he was "the soul of honor," that his nature was generous, noble and warm-hearted. He was ever a loyal and influential Democrat. He had no church ties, but his last intelligible words were an expression of peace and of resignation. He lies at rest in the family burying-ground near "Oak Hall," and his widow and youngest daughter occupy the palatial old home.
In 1867, he was married to Miss Susan Haymond, daughter of Co. Lewis and Rachel Wilson Haymond, and granddaughter of Co. Ben Wilson, senior, and five daughters and three sons were the result of this union; viz., Mrs. Faye (J. K. B.) Wooddell, Mrs. Marion Greer, Mrs. Anita Smith, the late Mrs. Pansy Sprinkle, Miss Genevieve, Creed, junior, Staley Wilson, and Haymond Bryce Collins.
Leroy P. Wilson (familiary known as "Dump") was one of the leading business men of his generation here.
He was born near the little Hamlet of Oxford, on September 18, 1834,
and was the son of Archibald and Elizabeth Hudkins Wilson.
In February 1862, he was married to Miss Virginia S. Rinehart, of Boyd, Maryland, and for a number of years, they resided on a farm on the Lorama railroad, but finally removed to Pennsboro, where his life came to a close on January 15, 1905.
His business enterprises were varied and successful; he being farmer, cattle-dealer, clothing merchant, bank official, etc. He was the first president of the first bank organization of the county, and was vice president of the First National Bank at Pennsboro at the time of his death. He was prominent in Democratic circles, and was a member of the Mason order, the I.O.O.F., the K. of P., and the I.O.R.M. He had no church affiliations, but honesty was one of his chief characteristics, and he died rich in the esteem of a multitude of friends.
One child preceded him to the grave, and eleven survive, all of whom are prominently known:
A. J., and Mrs. Minnie (S. M.) Hoff, are of Harrisville; Dr. J. B. and Miss Agnes Wilson, and J. M., junior, Pennsboro; B. F. Clarksburg; Lee, New Mexico; Dr. J. O., Oklahoma; Mrs. Annie (Hall) Hamilton, Elkins; Dr. Zilphia Boppell, who was graduated from the Northwestern University at Chicago, of Spokane, Washington; and Sue is Mrs. A. L. Davis, of Charleston.
John Marshall Wilson, brother of L. P., is one of the oldest as well as one of the most prominent citizens of the town.
He stepped upon the "battle-field of life" on September 16, 1827, and at the age of twenty-four years claimed Miss Rebecca Clayton, daughter of Elijah Clayton, as his bride; and for almost sixty years he has been a thrifty farmer of the Pennsboro vicinity, he having resided on the homestead now owned by his son, Alpheus, and on the McDougal farm before removing to the out-skirts of the town, and he is a large landowner.
His children, all of whom grew to the years of maturity and married, were twelve in number: Sherman, Quincy A., and Josephine (Mrs. Howard Broadwater) have all passed on. Lehman, William, Alpheus, Ben. F, Lincoln, John, Hooper,
Page 525Creed, and Ingaby, who is Mrs. John McDougal, all belong to this part of the county, and are all the heads of intelligent families.
Charles R. Brown, so long merchant and hosteler of the town, was born near Erie, Pennsylvania, on June 3, 1830, and with his parents removed to near Centreville in Tyler county when he was a lad of twelve years. There he grew to manhood and learned the trade of mill-wright and carpenter.
On June 23, 1859, he was married to Miss Rebecca Broadwater, daughter of Jefferson Broadwater, and the first three years of their wedded life were spent in Tyler county. They then removed to Walker Station where they lived during the Civil war. He was post-master there during those dark days, and was compelled on different occasions, to hide the mail sacks in carpet rags to protect them from the Confederate soldiers. From Walker Station he came to Pennsboro at the close of the war, and opened a store in what is now the "Brown hotel," and a number of years later, converted it into a house of public entertainment and remained in charge until his death, on August 9, 1901. Mrs. Brown survived until January 24, 1902, when she joined him on the other side. They rest in the U. B. cemetery, as do their son, Oscar, who died in childhood; and their daughter, Mrs. Clara Kelley, who died on May 7, 1910, while visiting friends in New York city. Ella, the eldest daughter, is Mrs. W. H. Lantz, and Etta, the youngest, is the wife of C. W. Pfeltz, of this place.
W. H. Lantz has long been a business man of the town, he having succeeded his father-in-law, (C. R. Brown) in the mercantile business, as far back as the eighties, and has been engaged in this trade continuously ever since. He has served as post-master for a number of years, and holds this office at the present time. He was born in the "Keystone" state, on September 8, 1851, and came here as clerk of Morris Bradford; and while thus engaged his marriage took place to Miss Ella Brown. The children of this union are: the late Mrs. Carrie Ruberry, Price, and Alma, who have also passed on; and Charles, Minnie, Dessie, Hazel and John.
M. S. McCullough, the founder of the marble-yard, is a
a product of Greene county, Pennsylvania, and his natal day is August 26, 1853.
During the spring of 1878, he came to Tyler county, and there, on July seventh of this same year, he was married to Miss Ella Tallman, who died on November 1, 1884, leaving two daughters, Bertha, (Mrs. Wm. Smith of this town), and Miss Minnie, who is at home. The family have been citizens of this place since the summer of 1888, when the marble-yard was established.
Dr. George Phillip Sigler has been one of the prominent business factors of the town for thirty years. He was born in the "Starr settlement" on Indian creek, on march 10, 1854; and entered upon the "battle-of-life" as clerk in his father's (J. R. Sigler) store at Cairo. He began the study of medicine in 1875, and was graduated from the University School of Medicine, at Baltimore, in 1877; and practiced his profession at Ellenboro and at Harrisville, before coming to Pennsboro in 1880, where he has since been identified as druggist. He has been associated with various other enterprises here; among which are the Wholesale Grocery Company, the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank, the Pennsboro Mill and Feed Company, and the Pennsboro Manufacturing Company; and he is an official member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
His marriage, to Miss Addie Lowther, daughter of Robert and Mrs. Jane McKinley Lowther, took place in May, 1878, and Bertram R., Robert Harold, and Grace P., who is now Mrs. A. D. Prunty, are the fruits of this union.
Hugh James Scott is another leading business figure of the town. He is a Harrison county product, and, at Sycamoredale, he first saw the light, on February 19, 1859. His father, John Scott, died when he was still in his teens, and his mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Garrett Scott, then married Jefferson Broadwater, of this county; and to the Broadwater home he came at the age of twenty years. He taught school for three years, and in the meantime, on March 3, 1881, came to Pennsboro as clerk in Morris Bradford's store; and continued his clerkship under this same roof until the spring of 1888, when he opened a store of his own in the old Crumrine building' and from that time until 1899 when he became
cashier of the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank, he was actively engaged in the mercantile business.
He is prominent in lodge and church (M. E. church) circles; and has official connection with the Pennsboro Wholesale Grocery Company, the Pennsboro Manufacturing Company, the Golden Rule Shirt Company, and the Pennsboro Furniture Company.
He was married to Miss Ella C. Harris, daughter of W. T. Harris, of Tollgate, on April 17, 1882, and on September 15, 1899, she was borne to the Presbyterian cemetery.
Thomas, the one son of this union died in childhood; and Ada, who is in school at Morgantown, and Pearle are the two daughters.
On March 12, 1900, Mr. Scott was again married to Miss Nellie Strickler, daughter of Jacob Strickler, of Ellenboro.
John Bosler McGregor, who has been merchant tradesman, and miller here for sixteen years, was born on the old homestead on Bond's creek, on August 10, 1851, and began his business life as merchant at Central Station in 1873; and remained in this vocation in Doddridge county until 1892, when he went to Parkersburg, where he was engaged in the queensware business for one year, before coming to this place in 1894. He is now a partner with E. Z. Weekly in the Eagle Mill Company. He was married to Miss Catherine, daughter of Wycliffe Bee, on April 9, 1870, and has one son, Charles McGregor.
B. W. Wilson, son of Joseph Wilson, junior, and Rebecca Weaver, was born on Slab creek, this county, on October 22, 1849, and has principally spent his life in this county, though he called the "Buckeye" state his home for a few years. However, he has been a citizen of this vicinity since 1872 and of the town since 1897, when he opened a feed store here; and he is n