The following is taken from the book "History of Ritchie County" written by Minnie Kendall Lowther, and published in 1910.
Grass Run Settled
Grass run derived its name from a bit of grass that grew in a swampy place near its mouth, and though it is a small stream, it has quite an interesting history.
John Riddel, its first citizen, was born in Virginia, not far from the present site of Georgetown, in the District of Columbia, on June 30, 1778 - at a time when the forests were resonant with the din of the American Revolution; and with his parents removed to what is now Tucker county, where he was married to Miss Tamar Goff, half-sister of Alexander Goff, senior, who was born in the "Old Dominion," in September, 1782, and died at her home in Gilmer county, on September 15, 1823. This was one of the romantic run-away marriages of early days, and on the banks of the Cheat river, it was solemnized; the young people having been compelled to ford this river to carry out their nuptial plans.
The date of the removal of Mr. Riddel from Randolph to Gilmer county is wanting, but it was probably shortly after the war of 1812. There death robbed him of the companion of his youth and there he was again married, on May 16, 1824, to Miss Elizabeth Holbert; and in 1831, they came to this county and settled on what is now the J. C. Rexroad homestead - this old pioneer cabin having stood just across the road from the present Rexroad residence, and only a few rods from the Fonzo post-office, and Hatfield store. Here, death again robbed him of his companion, and some time afterwards, he was married to Mrs. Hannah Dreke Smith, widow of Aaron Smith; and from here he removed tothe Obadiah Bee farm, on Spruce creek, near the year 1838.
He later went to Lewis county, and finally, to Roane, where he died in 1843, and where he and his last wife sleep.
He was the father of fourteen children: viz., the late James, of Roane county; the late Rev. Eli Riddel, of Riddel's chapel; Mrs. Hannah (Benjamin) Cunningham, Mrs. Nancy (Strother) Goff, Mrs. Elizabeth (N. H.) Frederick, of Burnt House; Eleven and George, who died in childhood, were the children of the first marriage; and Tamar, who was the late Mrs. Emmett Norman, of Auburn; Dorcas, who married Rufus Holbert, of Roane county; William and Harrison (who were twins), Thomas, Joseph and John, who passed onin childhood were the fruits of the second union.
Though his children have all joined the throng on the other side, his descendants in this and adjoining coutnies are a multitude. Among the grandchildren that are well-known citizens, are Mrs. Clara Goff, Mrs. J. R. Stalnaker, James, the late John Frederick, all of Burnt House; John R. Cunningham, of Tanners; the Normans, of Auburn, and numerous others that we might mention.
Riddel Ancestry. - Though not a few of the Riddels claim to be of French extraction, investigation proves that their ancestor, James Riddel, came from Germany along with John and Salathiel Goff, and Joseph Hardman; and that after a brief sojourn in England, they all came to America, and settled at Georgetown, which is now in the District of Columbia, after a twelve month's residence in Baltimore, where they first landed - in the year 1773 or '4. From here they went to Fredericksburg, Virginia, and later to what is now Tucker county, West Virginia, where he probably sleeps. His death occurred on February 26, 1816. He married a Miss Welsh, of Scotland, before leaving the Fatherland, and was the father of the following named sons and daughters: John, James, junior, Benjamin, Jeremiah, Dorcas, who married Joseph Hardman, adn Elizabeth, the wife of Alexander Goff, senior. And from these sons and daughters sprang the innumerable families of Riddels, and Hardmans - and not a few of the Goffs in this and adjoining counties - in fact, these descendants are scattered throughout the Union.
John Riddel, as above stated, settled in Ritchie county;
James, junior, in Lewis county. He was twice married but left no heirs.
Benjamin Riddel married Miss Nancy Anne Goff, daughter of Salathiel Goff, and settled at Hollow Meadows, on the Cheat river, in Randolph (now Tucker) county; but near the close of the war of 1812, he sold his possessions there, and removed to Gilmer county, and became one of the pioneers at the mouth of Leading creek. Here he passed from earth, and here his ashes lie. He was the father of ten sons and one daughter; viz., Salathiel, died in Roane county, in 1907, at the age of ninety years; Silas T., the youngest son and the only survivor in the family, resides near Washvurn, in this county; and the others were, Hiram, Richard Welsh, John Goff, Benjamin, junior, George Washington, William (died in infancy), dn the next brother was called William Slavens, James S., and Dorcas, who married William Holbert, of Gilmer county.
Jeremiah Riddel, of "Jerry," as he was familiarly known, married Miss Margaret Hardman, sister of Joseph Hardman, who came from Germany with the rest of the party, and followed them in their wanderings until they found a home (and she, a final resting place), in Gilmer county.
It is not known where or when they were married, but circumstances point strongly to the fact that they were married in the Fatherland, befoe they set sail for America, but this cannot be verified at this late day. However, he died at Norfolk, Virginia, while serving his country in the war os 1812, and there he reposes. He was the father of six childrenL viz., Eleven, the Spruce crek pioneer; James, junior, John E., George M., and Mrs. John Short.
George M. Riddel married Miss Mary Norman, and was the father of Mrs. Nancy Bush, of Auburn; Mrs. Etta Russell, of Parkersburg; and grandfather of Mrs. W. H. Amos, of Auburn, and the well-known traveling salesman, A. W. Westfall.
(The family of Dorcas Riddel Hardman appears in an earlier chapter, and that of Elizabeth Riddel Goff follows in this chapter.)
James Harvey Cooper was the second citizen of the Rex-
road homestead. He was born in Pocahontas county, in 1810, and married Miss Julia Ann Whitman, a native of Greenbrier county; and in 1836, came to Gilmer county and settled near Troy; and two years later (1838), removed to the Rexroad farm. After a brief sojourn here, he went to Leatherbarke, and made an improvement on the Dr. A. M. Edgell farm; and near 1840, returned to the Frederick's mill vicinity, and reared the first dwelling on the land that is now owned by his grandson, F. M. Cooper; and from here he removed to "Gilmer county, and took up his residence on what is now designaed as the S. L. Bush homestead, where he passed from earth in 1881, and on an adjoining far, he rests. He was a school-teacher, and inthis profession forty years of his life were spent. He was also a surveyor, and was at one time County surveyor of Gilmer.
He was the father of three daughters and eight sons: Agnes died in youth; Julia is Mrs. Fracis Hardman, of Tannersville; and Rebeccca, Mrs. Jesse Hardman, of Nebraska. Five of the sons were Confederate soldiers; Robert S. died in prison; George was slain in the Battle of Fisher's hill, in 1864; the late James T., lost an arm in the cause; John M., who resides in Gilmer dounty, was severely wounded; and Charles, of Auburn, narrowly escaped injury; Andrew Holly also resides in Gilmer county; nd Leonidas, and Henry J., have passed on.
While the greater number of his descendants live in Gilmer county, not a few of them are known in this county; the family of Charles Cooper, of Auburn, being prominently known among the teachers, and in other professions; H. E. Cooper was the principal of the Harrisville school for two years; Victor, who was formerly County Superintendent of Gilmer, is now identified among the Harrisville lawyers; Mrs. Homer Adams, of Harrisville; Miss Cora, Everett, Grover, the late Price, who was graduated from the State University, at Morgantown, and died of smallpox in the Philippines, where he went as a teacher; and the late lamented Okey Cooper, of Newberne, were all members of this family, and have all been identified in the profession of teaching. F. M. and Joseph Cooper, of Fonzo, are also grandsons of this pioneer, they being the sons of John Cooper.
The Coopers * are descended from an old Virginia family. James Cooper, father of James Harvey, being a native of Augusta county, and a typical pioneer of West Virginia. He married Miss Nancy Agness Wooddell, who was also a native of the "Old Dominion," and came to Pocahontas county, early in the nineteenth century and settled near Piney woods, now known as Greenbanks, where the remainder of his life was spent. He was a prominent figure in the early affairs of Pocahontas county, being one of its organizers, and having afterwards served as constable, magistrate, assessor, and pedagogue. He was also one of the pillars of the "Liberty" church, in its early history.
His children were ten in number: Elizabeth, became Mrs. Woods, of Highland county; Margaret was the late Mrs. Enoch Hill, of Hardman chapel, this county; Jane married Andrew Kerr, and lived at Dunmore; Lucinda became Mrs. John A. Gillispie, of Greenbanks; Nancy, and Malinda were the other two, all were of Pocahontas county; Thomas died in youth, John T. became a prominent physician. He resided at Parkersburg for a number of years, but finally went to Claysville, where he died in 1878. His son, Arthur, is now a renowned pulpit orator of the Presbyterian church of Illinois; and James and other members of his family still live at Parkersburg.
James Harvey, the Ritchie county pioneer, and Joseph W., of Pocahontas, were the other sons.
Isaac Collins made the second settlement on Grass run, on the farm that is now the estate of the late Nicholas H. Frederick, near the year 1832. He was of Irish lineage; and was a soldier of the war of 1812, having been drafted into service. He married Miss Rachel Cunningham, daughter of Thomas and Phebe, and they resided at Smithville, and at different other points in this county, before going to Calhoun county, where they spent the remnant of their days, near Freed, and where, on their old homestead, side by side, they sleep. At their home Phebe Cunningham died, and there she rests.
* The facts concerning the ancestral history of this family are gleaned in part from the "History of Pocahontas County," the author of that book being indebted to George C. Cooper, son of Joseph, for his information.
Their children were as follows:
Felix, the eldest son, served as a soldier of the war of 1812, and shortly after its close, went to Texas; Thomas, also, went to Texas; Isaac, to Iowa; John D. resides at Chestnut Grove, in Calhoun county; Phebe, became Mrs. Anthony Smith, of Portsmith, Ohio; Hannah married to Isaac Smith, and lived and died at Smithville; Leah was Mrs. Henderson Beall, and Barbara, Mrs. John Beall, both of Calhoun county; Nancy, Mrs. James Wilson, of Wirt county; and Rachel, is Mrs. Jesse McGee, of Harrisville.
Among the grandsons and granddaughters are, Martin and A. W. Smith, Mrs. M. A. Ayres, and Mrs. Alfred Barr, all of Smithville; and Isaac and Wilford Collins, of the Lawford vicinity.
Philip Frederick was the successor of Mr. Collins on the Frederick homestead, as early as 1835. He was of German origin, and of Pennsylvania nativity, he having been born at Lancaster, in 1775. From his native state, in his young manhood, he went to Rockingham county, Virginia, and from there, removed to this county in 1832, and settled on Indian creek, near the County Infirmary, for a brief time before coming to Grass run. They afterwards emigrated to Athens, Ohio, but soon returned to their old home on this creek, where they spent their last hours. Mr. Frederick died in 1861, and both lie at rest on their old homestead, which is still in the hands of their heirs.
Their sons were David, Nicholas H., Samuel B. and Philip Frederick.
David Frederick left home in his youth and was never heard from afterwards.
Nicholas H. Frederick, who was born on October 6, 1815, married Miss Elizabeth Riddel, daughter of John and Tamar Goff Riddel, who was born on March 7, 1815, while her father was serving as a soldier in the war of '12. The marriage was solemnized, in 1837, at what is not the W. G. Lowther home-
stead, and they at once took up their residence at the old home on Grass run, where they lived an died, and where they lie at rest.
Their children are James Frederick, the late John, Mrs. Louisa (J. R.) Stalnaker, Mrs. Clara Goff, Mrs. William Stalnaker, who are all the heads of families; and Joseph, Samuel, Mary E., Tamar, Martha J., and Nancy, who died in youth.
Samuel B. Frederick married Miss Elizabeth Petty, of Wirt county, and principally spen his life in the Burnt House vicinity. He was the father of Samuel, Ulysses G., the late Victor, and Roll, Catherine Snodgrass, Josephine Pritchard, and Amanda.
Philip Frederick married Miss Phebe Hardman, daughter of Benjamin, and lived and died on Grass run. They were the parents of Charles, Franklin, William, David, Edward, James, Samuel, Elizabeth, who died young, Leah, who married James Cain, and Safronia, the late wife of George W. Hardman.
Benjamin Cunningham, son of Thomas and Phebe, made the first improvements on the Dr. J. F. Hartman farm in 1836; but in 1845, he sold this improvement to David W. Sleeth, and moved his family to Iowa in a wagon. Not being satisfied there, he returned to this county, the following spring, and became the first settler of the Charles Drake homestead, near Hardman chapel. Here the remainder of his life was spent, and here he fell asleep, on April 24, 1853, at the age of fifty-tree years; and on the Joseph Frederick homestead, beside his father, he lies asleep.
He married Miss Hannah Riddel, daughter of John Riddel, whose earthly pilgrimage began in Randolph county, on August 18, 1803, and closed on Leatherbarke, on December 13, 1881. She rests at Hardman chapel.
Their children were as follows: Phebe died in childhood and James, in infancy; John R. is of Tannersville; Wm. C., of Calhoun; the late Hannah E. (John) Modisette, of Walker; Mrs. Leah C. (Wm.) Vannoy, Gilmer county; and the late Mrs. Nancy H. (Wilson B.) Cunningham, of Eva; Mrs. Rachel Norman, of Doddridge county; Mrs. Tamar J. (James T.) Smith, of Smithville; Eli R., of Iris; and Thomas, of Calhoun county, have all passed on.
The Dr. Hartman homestead is still in the hands of the heirs of David Sleeth, Mrs. Hartman being his only surviving granddaughter.
John Harris built the first dwelling on the F. G. Fling farm at Burnt House as early as 1836. He came from New York and kept a stage coach and a house of public entertainment. While thus engaged a tragical drama is said to have been enacted within the walls of this home, which hung a shadow about the good name of the family, and furnished material for all sorts of weird tales and ghost stories.
A stranger, who had stopped for the night, mysteriously disappeared, and nothing ever being heard of him again, suspicion pointed strongly to Harris or his son, William (This is variously stated), as having been the perpetrator of a crime. A child, belonging to the family is said to have told the following story:
That while the stranger sat at supper, the father (or brother) decapitated him with a drawing-knife, and concealed his remains up a run, which has ever since borne the name of "Dead Man's Hollow." For many years this region was supposed to have been visited by supernatural beings - apparitions in varied forms appeared to the consternation of the fanciful. But these old superstitious traditions have long since lost their terror - they are now naught but a memory. To those of us who are familiar with the pleasant scenes of this section, they are but little more than interesting legends, or fairy tales.
Shortly after this tragic occurrence, in the early fifties, Harris sold his possessions here, to Mrs. Susan Groves - a widow - and her son, John, and went West, and here his history ends. He has no known relatives in this county.
While the Groves family resided here, an incident occurred, which gave rise to the name "Burnt House."
Mr. Groves being a slave holder in the "antebellum days," is said to have sold a little negress, and she being so enraged at her master for this act of cruelty, set fire to some clothing up stairs, before taking her departure, which resulted in the destruction of the house - the first dwelling where the village now stands, the site being marked by the Ferrell hotel.
This interesting little legend, however, is set aside by facts which somewhat modify it. The other story being that the little black girl had been lent to Mrs. John Groves, by her father, Mr. Rogers, of Waynesboro, Virginia, and that while Mr. Groves was absent -taking the little wench back to his father-in-law, the house caught fire, and was burned to the ground -hence the origin of the name.
The Groveses came from Augusta county, Virginia, and Mrs. Susan Groves went back there and died. John went to California, and Thomas lived in Wirt county, but moved to Cairo, where he died some years ago, and where one of his daughters still lives.
Henry Fling. - In 1859, the Grove's farm became the property of the late Henry Fling, and has ever since been in the hands of the Fling family, he having been the first to rebuild where the Grove's residence was burned.
In 1849, John Fling purchased quite a tract of land in this section, which he divided between his tow sons, Henry and Levi.
Henry built his cabin on the land that is now owned by Mrs. Ona Fling, and having married Miss Eunice Fisher, of Gilmer county, two years before, took up his residence here this same year (1849). And in 1859, as before stated, he moved to the Groves' farm, where he continued to reside until 1883, when he was succeeded by his brother F. G. Fling, who is still the owner. Henry Fling was born in 1821, and died in Calhoun county, in 1906, and sleeps beside his wife in the Baptist churchyard, at Tannersville.
His first wife died in 1872, and, two years later, he married Miss Rebecca Holbert, who, with her four daughters, Gay, Martha, Mary, and Jennie, resides at Brookville.
The children of the first union have all passed away but three; viz., Mrs. Minerva Kelley, Tannersville; Mrs. Maggie Heller, Nebraska; and Fisher, of Pittsburg; Henry and his family met tragic deaths at their home in Calhoun county, a few years ago by a gas explosion - the charred remains of the wife and two children being laid in the same grave at Tannersville. William died at Big Springs, in Calhoun county;
George A., at his home near Hardman chapel; Floyd, and Levi J., in Nebraska; Mary S., and John, at Burnt House.
Levi Fling built his dwelling near the present residence of his only son, P. J. Fling, about the same time that his brother Henry, made his settlement; but he put a tenant on his farm until his marriage to Mrs. Elizabeth Bush Heckart - an event which took place on August 9, 1869, and commemorated the forty-sixth anniversary of his birth. From that time until his death, in 1905, he was a respected citizen of this community. He sleeps at Mr. Liberty, and his venerable widow still occupies the old home.
She first married Jacob Heckart, and is the mother of S. P. Heckart, of Cairo; Mrs. Margaret Harden, and the late W. H. Heckart, Burnt House; the late H. A., of Tannersville; J. M., of Knoxville, Tennessee; Mrs. Sarah (Jerome) Prunty, California; and Mrs. Louie S. Beckner, Tannersville.
F. Gainer Fling married Miss Elsie Bush, daughter of George and Mrs. Mary McQuain Bush, of Gilmer county, and is the father of the late General Fling and Mrs. Mollie E. (J. E.) Ferrell.
The Flings are of Irish lineage. John Fling was born in America, shortly after his parents crossed the sea; and when he was still in his cradle, his parents both died, and he was reared by a family by the name of "Polen," near Baltimore, Maryland. After he had grown to manhood, and served as a soldier in the war of 1812, he came to Barbour county, (W.) Virginia, and there he met and married Miss Elizabeth Gainer in 1816; and from there, they removed to Gilmer county, in 1831. Here at his old homestead, near Tannersville, he closed his eyes to earth, in 1861. Eight children were the fruits of this union. Besides the three sons already mentioned were: the late Mrs. Jane (Wm.) Wilson, Mrs. Sarah (Thomas) Hardman, the late George and Sanford, all of Tannersville; and Mrs. May (David) Ayres, of Calhoun county.
George Fling married Miss Hannah Bush, and was the father of the late H. H. Fling, of Roseville, who figured as an early miller in the history of the towns of Smithville, Auburn, and perhaps, others, in this county.
H. H. Fling married Miss Mary Talbott, of Philippi, Bar-
bour county, and was the father of twelve children; viz., G. W. D. Fling, Mrs. Rose Bush, Mrs. Guy Younge, and Miss Eva, are all of Gilmer county; Laura B. is Mrs. P. J. Fling, of Burnt House, and Dr. I. C. W. Fling is of the same place; P. E. A. Flingis of Arkansas; H. H. J., of Texas; Mrs. Bertha House, of Clarksburg; Gertie L., J. K. W. and M. E. have all passed on.
Joseph Cunningham made the first improvement on the head of the stream, on the T. J. Hartman farm. We learn that he never owned this land, that it belonged to the Maxwells at this time.
He was the nephew of Thomas Cunningham, being the son of his brother, Benjamin. He married Miss Jane Malone, sister of John and James Malone, and was the father of the late Mrs. Tibitha (Israel) Daidson, of Spruce creek; Benjamin, of Missouri; Findlay, of Ohio; Mrs. Sarah Quinn, and Mrs. Elizabeth Quinn, both of Iowa; Mrs. Priscilla Kenney, of Missouri, who later became Mrs. John Miller, of Hoio; Mrs. Amanda ______, of Missouri; and Robert, of Ohio.
After residing at a number of other points in this county, Mr. Cunningham went West, but finally returned to the home of Israel Dacidson, of Spruce creek, where he found a final resting place, beside his wife.
Jonathan Bessie, of Virginia, was another early settler on the T. J. Hartman farm; it being claimed by some that he preceded Cunningham here, but we are unable to verify this statement, however.
Strother Goff was the pioneer on the old homestead that is still in the hands of his heirs. He was born in Randolph (now Tucker) county, in 1809, and with his parents came to Gilmer county shortly after the war of 1812, where he grew to manhood, and married his cousin, Miss Nancy Riddel, daughter of John and Tamar Goff Riddel, who was also born in Randolph (now Tucker) county, on October 17, 1807. He served a deputy sheriff of Gilmer county under Peregrine Hays, before coming to this county, in 1850, where he spent the remnant of his days. He was one of the corner-stones of the old M. E. church South, at Brunt House, and remained a pillar in this church to the close of his earthly pil-
grimage. Side by side on the old homestead, he and his wife sleep. Their children were: James R., Mrs. Tamar (James) Frederick, Mrs. Ruhama (Archibald) Wyer, W. H. Goff, Benjamin, Granville, Mrs. Mary Riddel Valentine, and George, of Gilmer county. The last two only survive.
The Goff Ancestry. - The Goff's, like many of the other pioneers, have an interesting ancestral history, though two claims as to their origin in the "New World" are in our possession.
The first one is that the progenitors of the numerous families, of the name, scattered throughout West Virginia, are lineal descendants of Colonel William Goffe, the English parliamentarian and soldier, who was a member of that distinguished Judicial body that signed the death warrant of Charles the I; and who, bieng compelled to flee from the vengance of Charles the II, sought refuge in the wilds of America, where he wandered about to lay in hiding in old mills, cliffs of rocks, and in caves, near New Haven Connecticut, for 1660-64, when he went to Hadley, Massechusetts, and found a friendly asylum with the minister of the parish until his death in 1679.
Almost every school-boy or girl is familiar with the story of the "strange, old man with long, white beard in ancient garb," that suddenly appeared upon the scene at the little chapel at Hadley, on that quiet Sunday morning when a band of devout worshipers were surprised by the Indians, and led them to victory - then disappeared as mysteriously as he had come, leaving the astonished villagers to think that God had sent an Angel to deliver them from the dusky foe.
This "strange old man" was no other than Colonel William Goffe, the regicide, who had seen the approaching enemy from the window of the minister's house, and the same individual that is claimed by some to have been the antecessor of the Goffs of this county. But if Colonel Goffe had a family (and doubtless he had, as history tells us that his father-in-law, Edward Whalley, was the companion of his flight) he must have left them behind in England, as circumstances will not permit us to draw any other conclusion. But, while he could barly have been the antecessor of the fore-fathers of
the West Virginia families, it is not at all unlikely that they all belonged to the same race - the German; for people of this name are said to be scattered through various countries of Europe to-day, and it is not difficult to believe that they all may have sprung from the same parent-stem, when we remember that in olden-times the spirit of migration was ever in evidence - sometimes from natural inclinations, but more often from more imperative reasons - religious or political persecutions, which drove thousands from their native lands. But be this as it may, John T. and Salathiel Goff, the two brothers who were progenitors of the families that belong to this history, were natives of Germany, and of Teutonic birth; but, owing to the tyrannous hand of oppression in the Fatherland, they (with the Riddels, and the Hardmans, and, perhaps, the Springstons) migrated to England, and after a brief sojourn there, embarked to America, landing in Baltimore, shortly before the Revolution, where they remained twelve months before going to what is now Georgetown, in the District of Columbia.
John T. Goff married Miss Elizabeth Welsh, of Scotland, sister of Mrs. James Riddel, before leaving the Fatherland, and when they removed from Baltimore, they established their home on the Maryland side, not far from Georgetown, where it is probable that Mrs. Goff died, not many years later; for he was married to his second wife, Monacah Cerrico, as early as 1781. From there, after the Revolution, he removed to near Fredericksburg, Virginia, and later, to what is now Tucker county, West Virginia, where he, doubtless, sleeps on the banks of the Cheat river. From an old time-worn record, we learn that he bade his final adieu to earth, on March 9, 1803; and that his wife, Monacah, died on December 27, 1815.
It will be noted in the beginning of this chapter, that his daughter, Tamar, figured in a runaway-marriage six months before his death, and that the scene of this little romance was on the Cheat* river, in what is not Tucker county; hence this is conclusive evidence that his last hours were spent here.
* From the "Border Warfare" we learn that John T. Goff was one of the first settlers at "Horse Shoe Bottom," on this river.
A complete and authentic record of the children of his first union is wanting, but he and his wife, Elizabeth, were the parents of five or more children; viz., William, John, James, Alexander, and Hannah; and he and his wife, Monacah, had three daughters: Johanna, Tamar, and Luda Goff (the first two, Joanna and Tamar, evidently being twins, as the record shows that both were born in 1782, thought the name of the month in this one instance is missing.)
James Goff. - Of the subsequent history of William and John, we know nothing, but James was twice married. The name of his first wife is unknown, but the second was a Miss Barnhouse. He came from the Cheat river with the other Goffs, and settled near the Big Bend in Calhoun county; and from there went to Athens, Ohio, where he died at the home of his eldest sone, John B. Goff, who was a soldier of the war of 1812.
The children of James Goff were, John B., Robert, George L., William, Mary, Rebecca, and Libbie. Libbie married a man by the name of Lisson, and went to Ohio. George L. married Cathrine Phy, and was the father of Phillip Goff, of Juna, who is the only survivor of the family; James, William, and Susan, the other children, having passed on.
Hannah Goff (daughter of John T. Goff) married John Smith, and lived and died on Leading creek, in Gilmer county. Her children were seven in number; viz., George, John, Nathan, Jacob, Phebe (Mrs. John Davis), Luvina (remained single), and Mary (Mrs. William Patton).
Joanna Goff * (daughter of John T. Goff) was born on August r, 1782, and on October 8, 1803, she was married to her first cousin, George G. Goff, son of Salathiel Goff, and six children were the result of this union; viz.,
John L. (born in 1804 and died 1805), George W., Hiram A., Elizabeth (Mrs. Thomas Brannon), Rachel (Mrs. Abra-
* The record of this marriage, which was recently brought from its dust-covered hiding place, with its accompanying explanation that "Joanna Goff, daughter of John T. Goff, married her cousin, George G. Goff, son of Salathiel Goff" sets at rest the dispute concerning the relationship of John T. and Salathiel Goff, and establishes the fact beyond cavil that they must have been brothers or half-brothers; for the younger generations remember having heard their grandshires say, repeatedly, that Joanna married her first cousin. These little things seem insignifican