About Ritchie County
Ritchie County was formed in 1843 from parts of Harrison, Lewis, and Wood Counties. It was named for Thomas Ritchie, a distinguished journalist from Richmond, Virginia, whose mother was the sister of Judge Spencer Roane, for whom Roane County was named. The size of this county is 455.27 square miles. The county seat is Harrisville. This county is bounded on the north by Pleasants and Tyler; on the east by Doddridge, on the south by Gilmer, Calhoun, and Wirt; and on the west by Wirt and Wood. The population at the first census after its creation was 3,856. By 1910, the population was near 20,000. 
Copyright © 1998, 1999