The following local history was found by the late Charles Porter DeBrular and his son Robert, in a old abandoned house near Holbrook. It was written by Bradford Spiker, when he taught the local school and resided in this house. As far as is known he never made copies of this history. When he left this area he left the History behind.
Good-Will Community is located within 81.1 east latitude and 39.2 north longitude, and is parts of South West District, Doddridge County; and Union District, Ritchie County.
Union District was named in honor of the "Union Cause", which at the time so dear to many hearts. The name was suggested by Q. Manley Zinn.
South West District was so named because of its geographical position in the County.
It is drained by the South Fork of Hughes river and its tributary,
Sugar Run, and Middle Fork of Hughes river and its tributaries, Straight
Fork, Camp Run, Big Run, Lower Run, and Bear Run. The Middle Fork river
rises in the southwestern portion of Doddridge County near the Head of
South Fork river. The Middle Fork of Hughes river flows in a southwesterly
The valley walls of the community are generally steep and rugged,
with small areas of bottom
It was here in the valley of the Middle and South Fork of Hughes
river, upon the hills amid
In 1814, by an act of Congress known as the Smith-Lever Act, the Cooperative extension work begun in West Virginia. In 1917, the various specalists in the cooperative extension service prepared the first community containing hte idea of mapping the communities and carrying on regular programs of community developement.
In 1926, an idea entered the minds of Jim Jones and Mrs. C.C. Dillie, that their comminity should be mapped out and carry on regular meetings of community development. They secured the help of the county agent, D.C. Curry, home demonstration agent, Adell Bigelow, and Rev. A.H. Raping. The meeting was annouced, and on that date a large crowd met in the Harmony church, and readily approved the idea.
The following officers were elected: Dave Gaston, President; John Hart, Treasurer; And Velma Gaston secretary. The name was suggested by Hallie Pierce, "Good-Will Community", meaning: "A disire for prosperty and well-being of others". Marion Gaston, C.C. Dillie and Mead Squires responded to the idea and surveyed and mapped out a tract approximately six miles long and three miles wide. In 1931, as addition was added to the former mapped out community.This tract included the olf school communities of the upper Bear Run and Sunny Point schools.
THE SOUTH FORK BAPTIST CHURCH, is said to have been organized in 1841, but the first authetic record we have of its organization is on February 27,1844.
The charter members of the church are: George Zinn, Godfrey Carol, Thomas L. Gray, Samuel G. Rogers, William Gray, Jonothan Miney, Bartlett Waldo, Sarah Zinn, Rachel Zinn, Nancy Gray, Jane Waldo, Elizabeth Waldo, Rachel Miney, Rebecky Miney and Sophia Amelia Zinn.
The Rev. James S. Griffen was the first minister. He married Miss Martha Harbert, and settled at Lumberport. To this union nine childern were born, two of their sons served in the Civil War. He was one of the pioneer ministers of the Baptist Church in what is now West Virginia. His fields of labor being in Harrison, Doddridge, Ritchie and adjoining counties reaching as far as the Kanawha Valley. He rests in Harrison County. He served the chruch off and on from its beginning until August 20,1853.
The first sermon we have any record of was preached by Aaron Barnett. The second sermon preached by A.C. Holden, who preached four sermons before he began his ministry of the church on January 1850, continuing until January 1852. Both of these men were pioneer ministers in Ritchie and Doddridge, and adjoining counties. They were pioneer ministers of the Harrisville Church. James F. Griffin preached the third sermon in the new chruch.
The first church clerk was Samuel G. Rogers. He married Narcissus Zinn, a daughter of Ruth Gandy and John Zinn. The family resided near Oxford for a short time until her death. He then remarried and moved to Preston County.
The first church stood near the present location of the Oxford Baptist
church. The building was
The members of the church failed to meet for over three years. The
doors of the church being
For a period of over four years we find the church meeting in the Ridge School House during the winter months and the original church building during the summer months. During the winter of 1869 and 1870, the original church building was abanded and the church held their meetings in the Ridge School House, until December 7,1872, when the church moved to the school on Lower Run. Worship was held here until the first meeting was held September 28,1873, in the church building that stood on the present location of the South Fork Cemetry.
The new building was a large frame construction, thirty by forty
feet. Considerable trouble was
The present church was built in 1909. The building committee consisted
of L.K. Wilson, J.M.
The ministers of the church have been: J.S. Griffin, A.C. Holden, O. Wilford Drummons (M. Nancy Tharp), John Woofter, the grandfather of Emory Woofter for so long pastor of the Salem Baptist church. He was often assisted in his revival meetings by the Rev. James Woods, (grandfather of Judge Homer B. Woods), the first County Superintendant of free schools in Ritchie County and the first Minister of the Clarksburg Baptist Church, B. Allison Barnett. He and his wife were pioneer members of the church; Joseph Smith, J. Bennette, George A. Woofter was the pastor of the church during the erection of the building in 1872, a nephew of the former minister, G.H. Gainer, John Stump, A.J. Robinson, W.S. Monroe, B.F. Holden, was minister of the church during the erection of the present building in 1909, O.A. Bennett, Edwin Waggoner, Nelson Hobart Bartlett, a veteran of the world war and J.A. Young.
The church clerks have been: S.G. Rogers, Godfrey Caroll, George C. Griffin, son of the pioneer minister, Richard Hickman, Samuel V. Brown, served the church from January 20,1866 to December 6,1902, 36 years. N.H. Wilson served the church for over nineteen years, W. Frank Osborne, Earl Zinn, and Eva Griffin, also Carson Gaston.
THE WALNUT GROVE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, the first M.E.Church class was organized as early as 1858, at the home of T.E. Nutter. The home of T.E. Nutter, was a log cabin that stood about a mile above the mouth of Bear Run at the present home of A.K. Cox. Class meetings were here and at the residence of Christopher N. Nutter, for a number of years. The church was then known as the Middle Fork Class Society.
Ira S. Steel was the first minister. He was born and reared in Ireland.
He studied for a Catholic
The first authentic record we have of the class organization is 1868, when the church was moved to a log school house at Holbrook. The church was then called the Holbrook Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church. J.M. Brown was the class leader. Other charter members of the church are: Eliza Collins Brown, Christopher E. Nutter, S.A. Nutter, Thomas E. Nutter, J.F. Ireland, Thomas Ireland. (made first permanent settlement on Middle Fork in the year 1820, near the mouth of the river), Katherine Ireland, Elizabeth Ireland, Susan Ireland, A.S. Lowther, M.A. Lowther, Eliza Zinn, Elizabeth Tharp, H.B. Tharp, F.E. Nutter, M.C. Nutter, Carlotte Lowther, Rebecca Lowther, F. Williams, E.M. Brown, Elanor Thomas, Probatoner, and A. Watson, Probatoner.
A few of the ministers who preached in the school house were, T.B.
Hughes, V. Sanford, Rev.
The Rev. McNeill was in charge of this circut in 1872. He was born in Pocahontas County in 1830, and there grew to manhood and engaged in teaching until his entry into the ministry.
In 1874, during the pastorate of William E. Lovett, Archibald Lowther
gave the grounds for the
The class leaders of the church from 1868 have been; J.M. Brown,
Archibald Lowther, Thomas E. Nutter (was class leader during the erection
of the building in 1874), J.F. Ireland, L.F. Law,
To give the names of all ministers would be quite a task, however the names of a few of them are: J.E. Wasen, C.W. Upton, C.W. Poling, J.A. Matheny, W.G. Loyd, Silas McGreager and F.H. Hughes.
THE HARMONY METHODIST PROTESTANT CHURCH, is said to have been organized in 1847. The church records were burned many years ago, when the home of class leader, J.S. Britton, was destroyed by fire. However, I have made considerable search and have come to the conclusion that it must have been organized sometime during the latter part of 1847.
The charter members of the church are: Eli M. Gaston, Rulina Gaston, Marsh Gaston, Elizabeth Gaston, and Ann Gaston, Jess L. and Hannah Lowther, are also said to have been charter members, we are not sure they were, yet if they were not they became members shortly after its organization.
The first two log buildings to be used for church purposes were destroyed
by fire. The first is
John Clark, Rev. Mathers and Rev. Steward were a few of the ministers of these pioneer buildings. These men travelled far to carry their message to their congregations.
In 1866, the third log building was built and dedicated to be used
for chruch services. This
The Church lot was sold to Daniel Gaston, John Hart, George W. Britton and Samuel M. Gaston, trustees of the church and their successors, by John H. Gaston and Jane, his wife, for the sum of sixteen dollars. The deed was written and dated December 30,1865.
A few of the ministers of this church were: M. Ireland (1869), Perry Lowther (1882), J.L. Simms (1883), W.L. Warren (1886), J.F. Arnold (1888), J.H. Nester.
The present church ws dedicated in 1901, under the pastorate of M. Ireland. The building committee consisting of M.S. Gaston, S.E. Gaston, D.E. Pierce, Alexander Adams and J.S. Britton.
The first Sunday schools in our community were very crude affairs. We have no authenic record of their beginning, but they have followed very closely with the church. Their meetings were held in private homes usually in one home and then another. The literature consisted of a spelling book and a bible. It was thought, in order to be able to read one must know his A,B,C's. If any one came to Sunday School who did not know his letters he was placed under a seperate teacher who taught him his letters. Later the Sunday School Readers came into service and from these our Sunday Schools of today have grown.
The first authenic record of the Sunday School at Holbrook dates
back to the erection of the
Sunday May 7,1871, is the first record we have of the organization
in the South Fork Baptist
The Straight Fork Sunday School was organized in the school house on Straight Fork in 1893.
The Harmony Sunday School is said to have been organized in the Harmony School House severalyears before it was organized by the Rev. U.W. Morrison, in the year 1855, in the church building. A few members of the church were of the opinion that an individual education in the Bible was wrong, and that it was an organzation sponsered by the Devil. M.O. Gaston was elected superintendant, Alice Adams was elected secretary, when the church members finally responded to the teaching of Rev. Morrison and decided they were in favor of a Sunday School within the walls of their church.
Missonary work followed the organization of the church. On a fly
leaf in the South Fork Church
In 1809 the government of Virginia provided for a common free school education, and again in 1817 provided another means of free school education but both means were inadequate to carry out the purpose they were intended for.
The Pioneers of Good-Will Community soon saw the need of educating their childern by other means than the old method of home education. They soon began to put their ideas into work and erected the first school building near the mouth of Brush Fork of Middle Fork of Hughes river not far from the Iron Bridge. It has been my fortune to secure a copy of the original contract made in 1845, from Howard Jones, principal of Greenwood Elementary school, Doddridge County. It is as follows: "ARTICLE OF AGREEMENT made between Jonnah Williams, teacher of one part and we the subscribers of the other part and we the witnessoth that the teacher doth agree to teach reading, writing and arithmetic to the best of his skill and judgement for the term of three months or 65 days on the Middle Fork of Hughes river.
The said teacher "doth bind himself to keep regular hours and show no partiality". And we the subscribers doth bind ourselves to pay unto the said teacher the sum of one dollar and 75 cents per scholar and boarding amongst the subscribers according to the number that we subscribe. Any kind of trade will be taken, corn at 371/2 cents per bushel, wheat at 75 cents, oats at 161/2 cents, flaxseed and Janes 75 cents per yard, Linsey 371/2 cents and linen according to qualities. The grain is to be delivered to Zinn's Horse Mill. School is to commence the 1st or tenth of November.
The third schoolhouse was erected in 1866 at Holbrook, to serve the community of the first school building previously mentioned. It was a low building. The first teacher was Margaret Mathers. A few of the others who taught in this building are: Mag McCalvy, George Hayden, Bruce McDonald, Monroe Hall, Isa Martin, Sally Legget and Sally Glover. The first teacher in the present building was Granville Shepler. The building was recently re-modled.
The fourth building erected was the Ridge School House located near the Old Caroll Cemetery. It is not known when the building was built but it thought to have been erected in the fall of 1869. The first teacher was Granville Divers. This building was constructed of logs.
The fifth building erected was on Lower Run, in 1870, near the present
residence of Mr. Jim
The Camp Run School was built in 1899, but the deed was not conveyed or signed until February 23,1900. This lot was conveyed to the Board of Education by S.E. and Rebecca Gaston and has an area of 65 sq. rds. The purchase price was $12.50. The first teacher was Miss Cora Cooper of Auburn. It was abandoned recently.
The Straight Fork School had its orgin as a joint school and stood on the line between Doddridge and Gilmer Counties on Bear Fork on the J.I. Spurgeon farm. This deed was made between J.I. Spurgeon and the Board of Education of Southwest District Doddridge County and the Board of Education of Troy District, Gilmer County, bearing the date of October 15,1894 and the land, which consisted of 20 sq. rds., was sold for the sum of $10.00. The present school building was constructed out of the old building and was erected on a lot conveyed to the Board of Education of Southwest District by A.L. leeson, J.H. Spurgeon and Alta Spurgeon, his wife, September 1,1919. The amount of the land purchased was 2508 sq. ft., and the purchase price was $1.00. However, the grantors gave permission to the childern to play inthe adjoining meadow until April 1, of each year. The school was abandoned in 1942.
The Lower Run School was moved from the building standing at Jim Pierces in 1889. The land was deeded by Joshua Adams and Sarah, his wife and deeded to A.J. Nutter, Eli Nutter and John Kleen, 16 sq. rds., for the consideration of $1.00. The deed for the lot was made July 30,1889.
The second building to be erected at Harmony was in 1868, the present
building was erected in
The Sunny Point School had its orgin in 1885 about a thousand feet
above the present mouth of Bear Run. The first teacher was
Alice Neal. A few of the other teachers in this old building
POINTS OF INTEREST:
LOWTHER BURYING GROUND---The old cemetry is located on a rise facing the point where Brush Run enters the Middle Fork river. It contains the graves of many interesting personages; should these person return for even a short time, many of us would their stories interest.
It contains the grave of Thomas Nutter, who came from England and settled in Harrison County, where he became one of the famous Indian (as well as the best) hunters of his day. Many are the stories told of his narrow escapes with them. The far famed Indian Fort (Nutters Fort)took its name from him and his three brothers. Many of his narrow escapes, and weary marches while trying to free the country of the savage, may be read in "Chronicles of Border Warfare" & "U.S. and W.Va. Histories". A story is told that he and a Company of men followed the Indians from Harrison County to near Washburn, and killed the leader of the band, who crawled under a cliff of rocks. Here the skeleton was found a number of years later. Near his grave are the graves of many of his decendants.
The grave of William Lowther must be given a brief mention, in that
, he often accompanied his
It contains the graves of many other interesting persons including
those of several Civil War
The old cemetry was recently refenced by W.M. DeBrular.
CARROLL CEMETRY---The old Cemetry contains the graves of several of the pioneer settlers of this section, and the graves of two Civil war veterans. The striking thing about this old cemetry is the pine tree that stands in the lot. It was set out several years ago, as a marker for one of the graves. There it stands to-day, "The Lonesome Pine", carefully watching over the silent sleepers.
WILD CAT CAVE---Is is not known when the cave was first discovered, it is supposed to have been discoverd by the pioneer settlers. It derives its name from having been the home of many wild cats.
Situated about half way upon the side of the hill it gives both man
and boy many thrills on
It is said to have been larger several years ago, containing many
more rooms, however, many
HOLBROOK---The little hamlet has never been more than a post office, a store, a blacksmith shop, a school, a church and the home of three or four families.
The place came into existance in 1865, with the establishment of
a post office there. It was
Christopher N. Nutter was one of the pioneer settlers on Middle
Fork, arriving as early as 1849. He was the son of the elder Thomas
Nutter. He built the first mill in this section in 1857.
J.C. Cluck of Auburn and J.L. Lamb of Harrisville were the first merchants. It may be of interest to the reader to know that while J.C. Cluck was in the Union Army during the Civil war he was captured by the confederates and held in a Southern prison. During this period of his confinement, the home guards of Gilmer County arrested the Rev. John Woofter, (the pioneer minister of South Fork Baptist Church), George F. Bush (my great grandfather), and two other Southern sympathizers and took them to Wheeling during the fall of 1865. There they subsisted on "Bean Soup" and "Hard Tack" until arrangements were made to trade them for Mr. Cluck. Both parties were very glad to be released from their rationed diets, as Mr. Cluck fared a little worse than did the other party.
THE SUMMERS BURYING GROUND---A very interesting place is situated on a rise at the mouth of Lower Run, and faces the Lower Run school. It contains the graves of many of the pioneer settlers of our community. Bordering it on the lower side are many beautiful shrubs, which spread there from a lone shurb planted on one of the graves.
HART CEMETRY---Situated on a hill at the head of Lower Run, which was once covered with the beautiful chestnut, which are still standing dead, a prey to the ravages of the blight. When we look at their bare trunks standing like saints watching over the dead, we wonder.
The grave yard contains the graves of four civil war veterans, many
pioneers, and other inter-
The first mill within the bounds of Good-Will Community was an old
hand mill that was brought by the Zinn's when they settled in this
community in ___. The stones of this old mill are in the
Later, about 1845, the mill was made into a horse mill. Homes were
more thicker then, but the
The first tannery in this community was established by John Zinn shortly after the family moved to this community. This old tannery was located in the valley between the residence of Mrs. Julia A. Zinn and the Sunny Point School.
BIOGRAPHY OF PIONEERS:
JESSA H. PIERCE, was a native of Preston County, the son of George Pierce, married L. Wilson, a native of Lewis County. Shortly after this union settled in 1848, on a ridge one half mile east of the present location of the South Fork Church. The Pierces came from Ireland at the close of the Revolutionary war, after a few short years of life near the coast moved westward, and became pioneer settlers in Lewis County. Jessa H. Pierce was born May 8,1818 and died April 23,1870. He lies at rest in the Carroll burying ground. L. Wilson Pierce, his wife was born November 17,1823 and died in 1893. They were the parents of fourteen childern. The childern are: Mrs. Virginia Louisa (G.S.) Nutter, William Thompson Pierce, Mrs. Margaret Ann (Joseph) Scritchfield, George W. Pierce, Abraham G. Pierce, Mrs. Mary Elizabeth (John) Fox, Sarah Elizabeth Pierce (never married) James Pierce, Samuel Smith Pierce,(died in infancy), Jesse Irvin Pierce, Jacob Iseral Pierce, Benjamin Elsworth Pierce and on infant child who died at the age of eleven years.
ARCHIBALD HESS, was a native of Marion County, he came to this community in the late forties and settled on Zinn's Run, below the present location of the South Fork Church. He married three times, his third wife being Nancy Wilson. To this union the following childern were born: Mrs. W.E. Watson, Henry Hess, and George Hess. Here his third wife died and he spent the last days of his life at the home of his daughter. He died in 1883, and is buried in the Auburn Cemetry. It may be of interest to know that he first settled on Dutchman near McFarland, but stayed there for only a short time.
WILLIAM ADAMS was a native of Harrison County, the son of Jonathan Adams, a Revolutionary war soldier who served under the direct command of General Washington. He married Lucinda Wright, of Harrison County, and in 1840, took up his residence inthe forest on Straight Fork. Here he died, in 1889, and in the Auburn Cemetry beside his wife he sleeps. After the death of the wife of his youth he married Lousia Summers, and they were the parents of five childern: Alexander and Eligah Adams; Mrs. Susana Pierce; Mrs. Margaret Husk and Flora Edgell. The childern of the first union were: William, Jackson, and Joshua Adams, Mrs. Mary (Thomas)Hickman, Mrs. Sarah Gray, Mrs. Elizabeth Lipscomb, Mrs. Mary Ann Leeson, and Mrs. Harriet (Elias) Summers.
BENJAMIN L. WILSON, was a native of Pennslyvania, the son of William
and Rachel Lynch Wilson, during the year of 1828 the family moved
to Marion County. In 1830 he married Martha Kelly, daughter of Joshua
and Martha Brand Kelley, and to this union were born ten childern, namely:
Jane (Jacob) Mason (Jane Wilson Mason is buried at Toll Gate- Jacob
Mason is buried at Greenwood)
ARCHIBALD LOWTHER moved to this community and settled near the present residence of C.B. Townsen in 1836. He was born in 1811, and died in 1876. His wife Charlotte, died in 1895 and they lie at rest in the Lowther burying ground. They were the parents of seven childern: Elizabeth, Robert, William, George Alexander nad John Marshall Lowther; Sarah Ann Leggett and Margaret Nutter.
GODFREY CAROLL, the son of Willaim Caroll, was a native of Preston County. He moved to this community in the early fourties, and settled in the valley below the home of Homer Wilson. He was probably one of the most prosperous men of his time. In the latter part of his life he built one of the finest homes in Doddridge County. This house was probably the first home in Doddridge County to have a basement in it. He and his wife, Mary Ann Gray Carroll, were the parents of two childern, namely, Sarah E. (Samuel V.) Brown and Nancy who died in youth. They reared one boy, George West. He was a carpenter, millright and blacksmith. He died September 20,1866 aged fifty one years, one month and five days. His wife died June 11,1908. They lie at rest in the Carroll Cemetry.
JOHN BEE was the son of Asa Bee (whose father migrated from England with three of his brothers and settled in New Jersey, Later Asa moved to Preston County and became the ancestor of the Bees in this section), migrated to this community in the latter forties. He married Ingaby Davis and to this union were born six childern, namely, Dr. Estie Bee, Mrs. Cordelia (Henry) Goff, Albert Bee, Mrs. Ruhama Davis Walker, Ira Bee and Joel Bee.
OTHO, GEORGE AND JOHN WATSON settled on Brush Fork Run in 1845. Otho later moved to Roane County. George and John remained here until their death. John, a Union veteran, lies at rest beside his wife in the Lowther Cemetry. George lies at rest beside his wife in the Auburn Cemetry. Their residence were near the present home of Lincoln Pierce, whose residence is located at the foot of Auburn Hill.
JOSEPH GRAY SENIOR moved from Monogahela County in the year 1841 and settled on Straight Fork, when Joseph Gray 2nd was fourteen years old. Joseph Gray senior, lived to be one hundred and five years old. Joseph Gray 2nd was born March 5,1827 and at the age of twenty five years married Sarah Adams. Mrs Gray was the daughter of William Adams, and was born October 2,1831, to this union ten childern were born. The childern were: Jane, Rebecka, Ermany, Allice, Thomas, George, Charles, Joseph 3rd, Ben, and Leonard. Joseph Gray 2nd remained on the old homestead until death called him away on February 3,1901. Shortly after his death his wife also was called away on December 22,1901. They lie at rest in the Mount Union Cemetry at the head of Straight Fork.
FOSTER WILLIAMS was born in Harrison County in 1801. He married Eleanor Pritchard, who was born in 1802. They moved from Harrison County and settled on Long Run, Doddridge County, in the year 1841. They remained here until the late fourties or early fifties, then they moved to Straight Fork. To this union seven childern were born, they are: Nancy (Henry) Elefritz, Mary (Hickman) Waldo, Sarah (George) Thomas died in Wisconsin, and one son and three daughters who died in infancy. Mr. Williams was of Scotch decent. Mrs. Williams was of English decent. Mr. Williams died May 28,1874, aged seventy three years, five months and fourteen days. Mrs. Williams died August 21,1877, aged seventy five years, seven months and twenty seven days. They lie at rest in the Lowther burying ground.
ELIGAH SUMMERS was a native of Monongahela County, the son of Alexander Summers, settled at the mouth of Lower Run in 1843. He married Miss Susan Barnett and to this union five childern were born: Joseph Summers, Eligah W. Summers, Mrs. Louisa Adams, Mrs. Sarah McClain and Frances Summers. He died on May 22,1877, aged seventy two years, eleven months and six days. His wife died on December 8,1875, aged sixty six years, eleven months and twenty three days. They are laid at rest in the Summers burying ground.
SI REED, a native of Barbour County, first settled in Harmony District, after he remained there two years he moved and settled at the head of Straight Fork. He married Miss Mary Nutter and to this union the following childern were born: Andrew, Galila, Malvin, Feeby, Josiah, Mary, Kemper Charley, James and Minor. He was born in 1831 and died in 1876. His wife was born in 1834 and died in 1913. They lie at rest in the Cemetry on the Reed farm.
JOHN NUTTER, son of Andrew Nutter (cousin of Thomas Nutter, veteran of the war of 1812, and one of the pioneer settlers of the Oxford community), settled on Jim Run in the fifties. He married Mary Hart and to this union six childern were born: Josiah Nutter, Wilson Nutter, Sally Nutter, Hester Ann Nutter, John W. Nutter and Sylvannus Nutter. He was born on March 6,1817 and died November 26,1892. His wife was born November 16,1821 and died April 24,1893. They lie at rest in the Hart Cemetry.
THOMAS NUTTER, Indian scout, builder of Nutter's Fort, came to this community about 1850 and settled on the farm (that now belongs to Daisy Zinn Cox). On June 30,1808 he married Louis Parks. To this union the following childern were born: Christopher N., Mary (Wm) Douglas, born August 4,1810; Melinda (Levi) Douglass, born November 15,1811; Harrison Nutter, born April 26,1813 and died five years later on September 25,1818; Wm. H.H. Nutter, born July 26,1814; Barbara Nutter, born March 25,1817, died in youth; Jesse Hamilton Nutter, born December 1,1818; Daniel K. Nutter born October 7,1820; Sarah (Rev. Thomas) Hatfield, born December 26,1822; Louis Nutter, never married, born March 13,1825. Thomas Nutter was born in Enland on August 22,1778 and died December 8,1870, and lies at rest in the Lowther burying ground. Louis Parks Nutter was born August 3,1785 and died (before Thomas moved to this community from Clarksburg) on September 3,1849, and lies at rest in Harrison County.
CHRISTOPHER N. NUTTER, son of Thomas Nutter, came to this community in 1849, and settled at the old Nutter Homestead. He was born April 23,1809. He married Sarah Swisher on February 22,1838. To this union the following childern were born; John A. Nutter, Mrs. Frances (G.W.) Brown, Mrs. Mary A. (A.S.) Lowther, Thomas E. Nutter and Charles W. Nutter. He died in 1883 and was followed to the grave by his wife in 1894. They lie at rest in the Lowther burying ground. He was on of the first three County commissioners (then called board of supervisors) in Ritchie County. He was one of the first Justice of Peace in this community, operated the first postoffice and store and later built Athey's Mill.
H.B. THARP, shortly after his marriage to Elizabeth Wass in 1847,
settled at the mouth of
JOHN G. HART, an ancestor was a signer of the Declaration of Independance, settled at the head of Lower Run, near where John Hileman now lives, in 1849. He migrated here from Harrison County. He married Malinda Nutter on September 22,1844, and to this union nine childern were born, namely; A.N. Hart, Cassy Ann, Elizabeth, Mary, J.E. Hart, Judie, Sarah E. and Hann Bell. John G. Hart was the son of Josiar Hart (who died on May 17,1852 and lies at rest in the Hart Cemetry). Melinda Ann Nutter Hart was born on April 9,1828, and died on March 24,1899. She lies at rest in the Hart Cemetry.
JACKSON AND JAKE LEESON with their mother moved to this communtiy in the later fourties, and settled on Middle Fork River near the present resideence of Hershel Spurgeon. They never married. (These old bachelors, including an old man by the name of Sandy who settled near the present residence of the Parks, were the only pioneer settlers who had no families). An interesting story is told as to how Mr. Summers Sr. offered old man Sandy one and one half cents a pound for his hogs, a few years previous to the Civil war. Sandy replied "I'll eat them raw and fried before I'll take that for them". As a result his hogs increased until be owned half the hogs in the community.
GEORGE ZINN was a native of Preston County, a decendant of George Zinn Sr., who with his wife migrated from Germany in the year of 1776. He married Sarah Gray and came to this communtiy in the early fourties and settled on Zinn's Run near the present residence of Early Zinn. He stayed here for only a short time when they moved to the present farm of E.A. Leggitt on South Fork. Their childern were: Thomas, Granvill and James all of whom served in Company "E" Sixth Regiment West Virginia Infantry Volunteers, when muster out in 1865 during the civil war; Milroy and Q.M. Zinn, Mrs. E.A. Leggitt, Mrs. Elizabeth Douglass, Mrs. Mary J. Marsh, Mrs. James Carter, and Delia who died during her youth. He was born in Preston County on January 17,1814 and died November 16,1877. Sarah Gray Zinn was born July 12,1816 and died December 24,1884. They lie at rest in the Oxford Cemetry.
GEORGE GRIFFIN, son of Jame Griffin, was born on February 16,1828 and migrated to this community and settled at the head of Bear Run in 1852. He married Miss Jean Fernandey Zinn on February 22, 1849 and to this union ten childern were born: A. Virginia (James K.) Wilson; M. Caroline (W.B.) Hayden Jr.; Franklin; Thomas J.; John Woofter; Charles G.; Mrs. Laura Grofton; Mrs. Lucetta (S.L.) McClain; Ella (Gilbert) Hayden; and Homer. Mrs. Griffin was born November 30,1828 and died January 4,1909. Mr. Griffin died April 11,1909. They lie at rest in the South Fork Cemetry.
DANIEL GASTON, a native of Harrison County, was born June 27,1816 and died April 14,1906. He married Nancy Davison and shortly after this union they moved to the head of Upper Run and settled near the present residence of John Hart. It is not known whether he owned land at that time or not, yet, there is on record in the County Clerk's office a deed for two thousand acres of land on the head of Upper Run, dated December 24,1846.
GRANVILLE ZINN, son of John Zinn and Ruth Gandy Zinn, settled near the head of Bear Run in 1843. He married Rosetta Lowther and to this union the following childern were born: Samuel, William, Rev. Lemuel, George and Albert Zinn, Mrs. Margaret Harbert, and Ella and Sophia, who died in childhood. Rosetta Lowther was the daughter of William B. Lowther and Margaret Coburn Lowther. Mr. Lowther was a grandson of Col. Lowther.
SAMUEL MORRIS GASTON, son of John Gaston, born Harrison County, February 18,1825, died, Doddridge County April 26,1911. Settled on Camp Run, Christmas night 1846. He married Elizabeth Law who was born in Harrison County April 17,1825. She died Doddridge County Feb. 27,1882. They were married September 3,1846. Their childern: Rebecca, died April 28,1849; Mary A., died at 8 years of age, March 22,1855; Elizabeth Lucinda married Josiah Nutter; Sarah Jane married Allen Reed; Susan married David H. Jones; Hannah Eliza married A.S. Britton; Columbia married F.W. Chapman; Martha Emma, died at 6 years, February 6,1871; and Morris Samuel married Hattie I. Adams. Second wife, Rebecca J. Turner, born Harrison County January 22,1840, died November 21, 1922. They were marred November 6,1883. M.S. Gaston owns most of the old farm including the old homestead where C.A. Barnes now lives, but lives on the lower end of farm.
MANLEY ZINN married Lucy Ann Wilson, the daughter of Thomas Smallwood Wilson (Scotch-Irish, his father, Thomas Sr., a native of Scotland) and Miss Hannah Camp (daughter of Adam Camp). Q. Manley Zinn settled at the mouth of Bear Run in ___. He was the of John Zinn Sr. John Zinn Sr. was the third child of George Zinn Sr., (who migrated from Gemany to America in the year 1776). They were the parents of; Marion B.; C.L.; Newton Worthington; Noah and Grant Zinn; Victoria Hall; Palestine Wilson; Alice Childers; Madeline Nutter and Martha, who died when she was a young women.
JOHN ZINN SENIOR was born in 1778 and died in 1848. His wife, Ruth Gandy Zinn was born August 10, 1785 and died June 16,1865. They lie at rest in the Oxford Cemetry. On each of their tombstones is engraved a tree; On one side is six limbs representing the six girls in the family; On the other side of the trunk is eight limbs representing the eight boys in the family. Two limbs on one side come from the same point on the tree donating the twin boys. Q.Manley Zinn was on of these twins.
UNCLE SAMS VETERANS FROM GOOD-WILL COMMUNITY:
The disign of the following chapter is to group the characters who
have worn the uniform of