1. Ascii text (.txt) files are preferred. Non-text will be converted to text before storing. If you have created a .doc, .wri, .xls, .dbf, etc. file, please save it "as text" in your software program, and assign a ".txt" extension to the filename. Hard "tabs" are not encouraged, as they do not translate the same on all browsers. Please use "5 hard spaces" in place of tabs. Large files may be split. We may, at our discretion, store the same data in several formats. Scanned documents will be considered, depending on their content.
2. All data is free to the public, and the USGenWeb Archives project will not pay royalties on any submissions.
3. Data is provided for downloading "as is" -- no guarantees of anything.
4. File contributors must use their own discretion regarding the inclusion of data on living people.
5. We will not accept gedcoms due to space considerations.
6. No executable files will be accepted.
7. Do not send copyrighted material, unless it is your own, and you
include a statement of permission to use in the document.
Note: Public domain records cannot be copyrighted.
8. We are now able to store scanned images of primary source documents, but must be cautious about the size and quality, as well as the genealogical value of those documents. Before uploading any images in this category, check with the Archives coordinator or the assistant coordinator. All graphics are to be uploaded to the "archive_html" directory, the same one that holds your state or county tables of contents.
9. We cannot guarantee permanency, in the event data is lost.
10. Any obviously false, malicious, libelous, or copyrighted data will be erased. We do not guarantee the validity of any files. Always check the original document.
11. These guidelines are subject to change.
12. Once submitted, the data can't be retracted by submitter. (This rule causes concern to many potential submitters. The reason for this rule is that the volunteer file managers spend many hours preparing the files in the proper format for viewing by all types of computers. We have to discourage submissions - retractions - submissions - retractions because of the volume of data that is submitted. The USGenWeb Archives are accessible FREE and will remain FREE, to researchers. The files within will not be used for any commercial purposes by the USGenWeb Project.) Copyright to data contributed to resides with the contributor, who agrees that the USGenWeb Archives, as a not-for-profit project, has permanent use of the data. (added by request on June 14, 1998)
13. We retain the right to refuse any submission.
14. State archive file managers must follow the rules established for the archives. The archive committee will have "owner" access to all state directories.
15. Files in the USGenWeb Archives may not be copied for selling in any format.
GO BACK TO RITCHIE COUNTY INDEX