1802, Charles Wells settled what is now Sistersville (Wells
1813, January 27, Middlebourne established by legislation
1814, December 16, Tyler County was formed from Ohio County,
1815, Sarah and Delilah Wells laid out the town of Sistersville
1815, First Sheriff of Tyler County, Joseph Martin
1816, Middlebourne became County Seat
1817, John Buck came to Tyler County and executed a lease on
Williamson Island. This is the first recorded entry of a Buck
into Tyler County.
1818, January 28, Ferry was established by legislature in
1818, Log Jail erected in Middlebourne
1819, April 7, First Post office established in Sistersville
1820, First Courthouse built in Middlebourne
1838, Baptist Church dedicated in Sistersville
1839, February 2, Sistersville is incorporated
1854, Two story brick Courthouse erected.
1863, June, West Virginia became a state.
1871, February 3, Middlebourne was incorporated
1874, Present Jail constructed in Middlebourne
1877, August 20, Paden City Post office established (Paden
1884, The Ohio River Railway was built through Sistersville
1885, First commercial telephone service in Sistersville
1885, January 1, First Weekly newspaper, Tyler Democrat
1892, "Polecat" well was drilled, Discovery of oil in Tyler
1892, November 18, The Tyler County Bank was established.
1894, Farmers/Producers National Bank, Sistersville, 1894
1895, Ephraim Wells Built the Wells Hotel
1895, December 14, The First National Bank of Sistersville was
1896, Start construction of First Presbyterian Church on Wells
St in Sistersville. Cornerstone laid December 16th. It is now
the Church of Nazarene.
1896, Hennachan-Daly Bldg constructed (Old movie theater bldg)
1897, Sistersville City Building constructed at Diamond and Main
1897, Sistersville High School completed (Main Street School)
1897, March 4, First Baptist Church Bell, Bell on display in
1898, First classes in new Sistersville High School
1898, Friendly was founded.
1899, Sistersville High School on Main Street constructed.
1902, Bank building erected in Middlebourne
1903, Wetzel-Tyler Railway Co operated between Sistersville and
1905, Methodist Church cornerstone laid, May 20, M.E.Church
1906, Sistersville High School construction started in Gary
Owen, cornerstone Oct. 13.
1906, First Christian Church built on S Wells St. in
1908, Tyler County High School opened
1908, Sistersville General Hospital established
1909, Postcard view of Sistersville,
Shows Opera House, Wells Building, Thistle Bldg, City Hall,
First Tyler Bank Bldg.
1909, Postcard shows Main Street, with Dr. West Residence,
Catholic Church and new High School.
1910, First Filling Station in Sistersville, on Water Street.
1910, Baptist Church cornerstone 1838-1910, Hill and Wells St.
1911, Baptist Church built at Hill and Wells St. in Sistersville
1911, Paden City Pottery Company began operation
1912, Sistersville High School, in Gary Owen, opened
1913, Library in Sistersville moved to city building on Diamond
1913, Cornerstone of new post office laid MCMXIII, Sect of
Treasury, William G McAdoo.
1914, Present Post office built in Sistersville
1916, July 4, County poor farm cornerstone laid.
1917, Poor House on Middle Island opened.
1920, Eastman Garage, Now Wables Ford.
1921, The Friendly United Methodist Church was built
1923, Sistersville Jr. High School, cornerstone June 19.
1923, Electricity came to Middlebourne
1923, Present Courthouse was completed
1925, September 30, Last run of Street car from Sistersville to
1924, Sistersville Junior High & Gymnasium completed in Gary
1928, July, Sistersville Hospital opened in current location on
S. Wells St.
1931, First Presbyterian Church cornerstone 1930,
Sistersville-Middlebourne streetcar line discontinued service.
1934, First service in the new First Presbyterian church on
1950, November, 40-50 inches of snow blanked Tyler County
1951, County poor farm ceased operation.
1956, Addition for Sistersville High School opened.
1957, Paden City Pottery Company ceased operations
1963, Poor House on Middle Island was closed.
1964, March 22, Current Sistersville library dedicated
1970, December, Fire destroyed Opera House, Wells Building ,
Five&Dime store and the Shouldis Dept Store.
1976, New library built in Middlebourne
ęcopyright 2000, 2001, David Buck