Steelton United Methodist Church

 

Organized as The Gravel Bottom Methodist Church as early as 1873, the congregation met in the old Gravel Bottom Schoolhouse at Steelton where the new Steelton Grade School is presently located. This group met here until in the fall of 1913 when they bought the old St. John’s church downtown for $500.00. The Steelton congregation was given one lot owned by Pyles and Yeater, one lot bought by the Reverend Groves, and a half lot; given by Everlena Litman on which old St. John’s Church was rebuilt. The old downtown church was torn down in the fall of 1913 and loaded on wagons and hauled in mud that took two teams of horses to pull the wagon down the muddy road. Mr. John Riel and Mr. J. 0. Hayes were principally responsible for the hauling. The Oneacre brothers rebuilt the church on the corner of Mound at the 800 block of North State Route 2. The church was dedicated on May 31, 1914. Reverend Charles E. Daily was minister at the time. The Steelton Church was at one time on an eight point circuit.

Mr. Isaac Mitchell brought a hugh cast iron bell from the Moundsville Methodist Church. Mr. Mitchell and George Riel were responsible for loading the bell on a steamboat in Moundsville which floated it to Union Street in Steelton. Bill Riel, Frank P. Riel, John Riel and J. 0. Hayes met the boat and loaded the bell on a wagon pulled by two teams of horses and finally mounted it in the old Steelton Church.

A ground-breaking service for the new church located at 1249 North State Route 2 was held September 6, 1959. Actual construction was begun October, 1959. Completion date was August 14, 1960. The Reverend Frank E. Bourner was Pastor. The first service was held in the present church on September 11, 1960.

Reverend Robert K. Staub is the present pastor (1976).

 

return to the History of the Churches of New Martinsville